Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Score conversion (France)

So, I went to French university, and they are score snobs, meaning 20 is the highest score but no one ever ever gets it. Best possible score I've ever seen is 18 but the best is usually 16 or worse if you're in an "elite school". So my average is really low compared to 99% of other American applicants and also not in the top for a normal student in France because I didn't speak the language when I started. I did the google conversion and it puts my scores as Bs or worst Cs.... I heard before that they won't put too much importance in it since it's a foreign GPA but I realize I might want to be a bit more worried about this... Does anyone have experience with foreign GPAs? I wanna get into T14... I could probably add into my statement that it was due to language difficulty, right? But I have no idea how much they will forgive me for that.

I also went to a university in China for a year and a half before french uni and do have mostly straight As from the conversion, but I don't know if that will actually help that much?

help

Comments

• Return On InferenceReturn On Inference Alum Member
    503 karma

If you went to Uni in China for a year and a half, then you're required to submit those transcripts and yes they will help bring your GPA up.

As with all splitters, the best thing you can do is score a high LSAT and apply early in the cycle. And yes, I would write an addendum to explain your situation. Grading policies vary widely between countries and I'm sure that the admissions people understand this.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

It might be worth an addendum explaining the language barrier thing as long as you are clear on why that won't be a problem in law school.

However, they usually mostly focus on the LSAT for international students since your GPA won't alter their ranking. The LSAT is going to be even more important for you.