Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Example of this flaw

foxtrot96foxtrot96 Member

Could somebody explain and provide me with an example of the flaw described below?

" Something that is merely a matter of opinion is treated as if it were subject to verification as a matter of fact".

Comments

• LG_CandideLG_Candide Alum Member
    edited May 2018 72 karma

I think this answer can be treated in the same way as the answer choice "It appeals to popular opinion on the matter at issue" (PT33-S1-Q2, from the Method of Reasoning Section). If an argument's main premise is based on something "most people believe" or "some people believe", then this might be considered taking an opinion and using it as if it were factual. Perhaps the verification part means to say that an opinion is being considered verified because the person arguing has taken it to be fact. What question did you see this in?

• AngusMcGillisAngusMcGillis Member
    403 karma

"JY believes X is true"
    .:X is true

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

"Some people believe that all you need to succeed on the lsat is 3 months of study. Therefore, since jessica has been studying for 3 months, she'll succeed."

This arguments falsely equates the opinion of some people as fact. As if it's empirically true. It could be true but we are not provided with the evidence. That's why it's flawed. Show me what percentage of people succeed by studying for 3 months versus how many people need more than 3 months to succeed. Or compare our test group to overall percentage of test takers. Then by having this evidence, we can corroborate the claims of some people - if the data is favourable of course.

"Some people believe that all you need to succeed on the lsat is 3 months of study. A recent study by the law school admissions council has found that in the previous five years, 35% of test takers who had studied for 3 months were successful in achieving the score that they desired. The study also found that 55% of test takers needed more than 3 months of study to achieve their desired score. Therefore, since jessica has been studying for 3 months, there is a possibility that she will succeed in getting her desired score."

This is an example of the same argument but with empirical support. The claims of some people aren't all that we rely upon but actual study as well. Of course this isn't a valid argument.

Hope that helps!

PS I totally made up those numbers and am not aware of any actual studies published by lsac.

• foxtrot96foxtrot96 Member
    147 karma

I guess the "as if it were subject to verification" is what was tripping me up. But I think I got it now. Thanks.

@LG_Candide : it was a flaw descriptive question. PT 20 S4 Q18

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited May 2018 3652 karma

Since my mother said so, it is without a doubt true that I am special.
    "As if it were subject to verification" is more or less irrelevant fluff. Stating any opinion, and then saying "[that opinion] is right," is treating an opinion as if it is proven to be true (subject to verif.)

147 karma

Alright, so that part is just there to probably make it more convoluted. Thanks @"surfy surf".

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Professor X is has been studying the Kepler-22 B for 3 months. For the first time, his calculations have lead him to the conclusion that there are GRB's coming from the planet. GRB's can arise only if there is life. Therefore, we can conclude that there is definitely life on Kepler 22-B.

Is this necessarily the case? He believes that there are GRB's; this is what was borne out of his calculations. But that doesn't necessarily mean that there are GRB's. What if his calculations are off? What if Professor X is an accounting professor? There is just so much that we don't know, but the main issue is that we don't know whether or not his calculations are right. Because of this, we can't definitively conclude, on the basis of what Professor X believes, that there is life on Kepler 22-B.

Hope this helps!

147 karma

@JustDoIt , so the flaw would be when we say that GRB's exist only because it is his opinion that they do right?

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Yes exactly. It is his belief that there are GRB's. But there is no indication of fact. Just like we believed that the universe was ethnocentric. But clearly that's not the case.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

Professor X is has been studying the Kepler-22 B for 3 months. For the first time, his calculations have lead him to the conclusion that there are GRB's coming from the planet. GRB's can arise only if there is life. Therefore, we can conclude that there is definitely life on Kepler 22-B.

@foxtrot96 I think this example fits with what you were asking me about Dobson. Professor X's argument is unsupported, it's just his belief that there are GRB's but the author also takes his opinion as fact. The author is not labelled but do you see what I meant about how it's usually taking someone else's opinion and equating that as fact?