Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planning on taking July test, how many PT's is enough?

JohnnyKarateJohnnyKarate Member
in General 157 karma

So I should be finished with my CC by the end of this week and I will be starting to take PTs and foolproofing LG by June 4th which gives me enough time to do approximately 14-15 PTs. Is that enough? Too much? Too little? My target score is 163-166 and my cold diagnostic was 151.

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited May 2018 3652 karma

I dont think you can really answer that question until you're like 2 weeks before the test date and can look back on how you've been scoring on your PTs. If your average of those PTs ends up being around where you want to score, if your PTs are consistent and/or improving, then yes that's enough. I think the general recommendation is to take 20 PTs before the test date. But I think that number is arbitrary. If someone wants a 170+ on the exam and gets a 170+ on 10 PTs in a row then I dont see why they wouldnt be ready to take the exam. I dont think it is unreasonable to sign up for the July lsat now and work hard to get there by then...unless you cant afford to withdraw/retake. If it's a financial issue then I think September would be a safer bet.

• michael_theodoremichael_theodore Alum Member
    253 karma

I have the same issue. For that reason, I haven't registered for the LSAT. I'll do so when I know I'm ready. I wish you luck.

• JohnnyKarateJohnnyKarate Member
    157 karma

@"surfy surf" said:
    I dont think you can really answer that question until you're like 2 weeks before the test date and can look back on how you've been scoring on your PTs. If your average of those PTs ends up being around where you want to score, if your PTs are consistent and/or improving, then yes that's enough. I think the general recommendation is to take 20 PTs before the test date. But I think that number is arbitrary. If someone wants a 170+ on the exam and gets a 170+ on 10 PTs in a row then I dont see why they wouldnt be ready to take the exam. I dont think it is unreasonable to sign up for the July lsat now and work hard to get there by then...unless you cant afford to withdraw/retake. If it's a financial issue then I think September would be a safer bet.

I've been studying since April and certainly have been feeling like I have been improving. Thank you for your reply!

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

So it looks like you are tying to do PTs from June 4 to July 23, which will be about 2-3 per week if you are doing 14-15 PTs. That sounds like a pretty good pace, so I would say your plan looks good.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I totally agree with the general sentiment here. Take about 1 a week and make sure you master that test. Also don’t be afraid to postpone. July is still really early. And you won’t get to review it where it is undisclosed

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I think it varies per individual student, but I agree with @"surfy surf" about looking at 10+ tests.

• Will DearbornWill Dearborn Alum Member
    edited May 2018 218 karma

It's not too much or too little, it depends on your ability to score within your targeted range. So if you're scoring below your target range than you would need a little more time, but if you're scoring perfectly then even the couple of PTs that are in the 80s would be enough lol.