Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just bombed timed LG section. Does it get easier? Need encouragement.

JohnnyKarateJohnnyKarate Member
in Logic Games 157 karma

So I took two timed sections today. PT 37 and PT 1 (random I know). Nerves got the best of me on 37 and I got -10, but I took another crack at it midday when I was calmer and got -5. Feeling good, I did another timed section (PT 1) after work and got an abysmal -15. Holy @&$*! that’s bad. It’s my first day doing timed sections for LG, and I’ve got 7 weeks to go before July test. LR and RC I’m pretty comfortable with, but LG is pretty painful. Does it get easier? Can I get better in 7 weeks if I do a timed section everyday + foolproof?

Comments

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

Same boat- just made the exact same post as you ? did you end up focusing too much on RC/LR more then LG because I def. did

• kH573201kH573201 Alum Member
    115 karma

Hi!
    It's seldom that I leave a comment, but I felt that I had to pass along some encouragement! I TOTALLY understand how you're feeling. It's a really sucky feeling when you feel like you're trying SUPER hard and making minimal progress - or you feel as if you're getting the concepts, making progress, taking a timed section only to bomb it. Both make you feel like a failure. BUT DO NOT GIVE UP!
    I don't know how long you've been studying, but take it one day at a time. Things will get easier and you have to remind yourself that this is just a hurdle to get into your dream- which is law school and becoming a lawyer!

HOWEVER, taking the timed sections, burning through PTs, just to say you did a timed section while blindly answering questions, feeling rushed and overwhelmed is not the way to go.
    I would suggest NOT taking the July test if you feel unprepared or your scores in practice are indicating that you aren't ready. I made that mistake taking the December 2017 test and I bombed it. I'd done timed sections, but not nearly enough and the ones I did I was making too many mistakes, rushing, and the frustration/burnout was real. Timed sections are good, but if you're making that many mistakes and your scoring is that inconsistent, it may just be a sign that you don't know the material as well as you COULD and with a few more weeks, you'll see improvement.

• ATLsat_2019ATLsat_2019 Member
    455 karma

Keep practicing and LG improvement will come faster than you think! If you really buckle down, I think 7 weeks is plenty of time if you're foolproofing and watching the explanation videos. Also, keep in mind that those early PTs have weird game setups that you won't see on modern tests, so if those are the games you're bombing then don't stress too much about them.

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Yeah I think you have enough time to improve LG. Fool proof a bit and then mix in some timed sections. You need the experience doing a timed section. The ability to know when to skip a question or even a game to have a chance at the low hanging fruit is invaluable. Many times when I have a bad section, its is not due to knowledge but rather me making a mistake that costs me points or time.

Make sure you are getting the most out of your fool proofing and understand the mechanics of the games your fool proofing, not just regurgitating the answers you remember. Most of the games are repetitive mechanics.

Good luck!

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

Foolproofing will help but make sure you BR your LG too so you figure out what messed you up. Was it a missed inference, inefficient game-board, not enough fluidity with rules, or was it lack of time management? Strategy for you missing 10 or more is different if you didn't really get time to reach one game as opposed to if you missed questions due to lack of fundamentals.

You have time to foolproof if you haven't already since it's all about gleaming patterns in the games as well as your habits. Don't forget to notate which questions you spent too long on and review why you did. Because it means you fell for some kind of trap that the writers wanted you too and that kind of self analysis will help you get better at them! Sometimes it's just about quickly scanning all the answers instead of focusing on them in order right away. Chin up, there's hope!

• tommy.harshaw124tommy.harshaw124 Alum Member
    2 karma

LG is probably the easiest section to improve on. Every question can be tackled if you know how to approach it, so I suggest you watch some videos on how to set up sketches and then do some questions. You can even go back and redo some of the ones you've already done, because trust me, you won't remember the deductions you made a week ago.