Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diversity Statement Topic?

Giselle112Giselle112 Alum Member
in General 151 karma

Hello everybody!

I recently wrote a draft of my diversity statement. I wrote it on being a first generation high school graduate and working my way through college (working on a farm, McDonald's, Mexican restaurant, Marriott hotel, Sears). I worked a bunch!

I shared my diversity statement with a couple of friends in law school and they were confused and asked why I didn't write it on being a Latina or a woman. I don't feel like those two aspects of my background are as important in my development as my first gen status/work experience has been. I could definitely write a story on being a Latina. I went to an all white school most of my childhood and my family would accuse me of acting white when I spoke. (I've read this diversity statement a dozen times from other applicants-doesn't feel new)

What do you all think?

Diversity Statement Topic
  1. Which one should I write about?22 votes
    1. Latina roots at an all white school
      27.27%
    2. First generation high school graduate and working my way through college
      72.73%

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

Writing a diversity statement on being a woman... This is the first time I heard someone recommend that approach.

Being the only Latina at an all-white school could definitely be a nice topic. I would personally be careful about the "white" part though (one can learn only so much about another person's heritage based on the color of his or her skin).

• Nabintou-1Nabintou-1 Alum Member
    410 karma

Hey!

So I think there's a reason why you have the current version of your diversity statement that you do---it's an important story, one that's yours, and so one only you can tell. I've heard repeatedly, re: both, PSs and DSs, that what admissions committees love most is authenticity and personality. And I feel like the fact that you geared toward writing your DS about being a first generation high school graduate and working your way through college says a lot---that it's a story you believe you can tell really well. So, I say stick with it!

Praying you have a successful cycle. Good luck!

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I like the first generation essay but feel that could also be a great personal statement. Remember that you're diversity statement is only one page so you may be limiting yourself if you make this your diversity statement.

• Giselle112Giselle112 Alum Member
    151 karma

@Nabintou said:
    Hey!

So I think there's a reason why you have the current version of your diversity statement that you do---it's an important story, one that's yours, and so one only you can tell. I've heard repeatedly, re: both, PSs and DSs, that what admissions committees love most is authenticity and personality. And I feel like the fact that you geared toward writing your DS about being a first generation high school graduate and working your way through college says a lot---that it's a story you believe you can tell really well. So, I say stick with it!

Praying you have a successful cycle. Good luck!

Thank you for your input! Good luck to you as well!

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

Oh, I like what @JustDoIt said! Do you have a personal statement topic? If not, maybe make a story about your life in school into your personal statement.

• Giselle112Giselle112 Alum Member
    151 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    Oh, I like what @JustDoIt said! Do you have a personal statement topic? If not, maybe make a story about your life in school into your personal statement.

I do have a personal statement topic! It's a story about my dad being imprisoned before I was born and growing up during the Tough on Crime Era and in California where the Three Strikes Law was passed. I tie it into my teaching experience and my interactions with students in juvenile detention facilities and their parents in the criminal justice system. So, I think that is a compelling story requiring the extra space. I'm just trying to figure out how to best use the diversity statement. But one page is so short /:

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I think either of these options would make a fine diversity statement, so you should write whichever one you feel more passionate about. Or maybe even try writing both and seeing which one turns out better. You shouldn't feel forced to write anything specific, it should be something meaningful to you and something that had an effect on you. Both options are great!

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I think you have a great topic! I think some schools actually ask if you're the first person in your family to graduate from high school. If they don't, that's a great thing to write about. Schools love that stuff because it shows a little extra ambition.