Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wait List- Retaking LSAT (Splitter Student)

LAWYEREDLAWYERED Alum Member
edited July 2018 in Law School Admissions 335 karma

Hi all,

As a splittter I know I have a really good chance of ending up on the waitlist and I would love to know if after taking the September and November LSATs (and probably getting waitlisted) if I should also count on taking the January LSAT to try to get off the waitlist. Should I even consider taking the June LSAT to get off the waitlist???
Or do I just have to proceed with sending out LOCIs and crying? (LOL)

ALSO: Unfortunately, waiting for the next cycle and re-applying is definitely not an option for me.

Thanks!

Comments

• testfromawaytestfromaway Alum Member
    280 karma

I think this is a situation where you just can't count your chickens before they hatch. No one here is going to be able to tell you how many times you'll need to retake the LSAT to move off of a waitlist, or even if you'll definitively be on all of the waitlists that you think you will be.

Right now, instead of planning for June 2019, work to kick butt on the next test you're sitting for, not the one (or two, or three) after that.

• LAWYEREDLAWYERED Alum Member
    335 karma

@testfromaway said:
    I think this is a situation where you just can't count your chickens before they hatch. No one here is going to be able to tell you how many times you'll need to retake the LSAT to move off of a waitlist, or even if you'll definitively be on all of the waitlists that you think you will be.

Right now, instead of planning for June 2019, work to kick butt on the next test you're sitting for, not the one (or two, or three) after that.

Honestly, very fair answer. I appreciate it. I think I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for failure/ doing slightly worse than ideal and then counting on some sort of "second chance" to save me. Not a good mindset. LOL.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I wouldn't plan on taking an LSAT in 2019. Harvard, Stanford, and Chicago don't allow for additional LSATs to get off the waitlist. Further, Chicago doesn't allow for any changes to your application once it is complete and have a very strict LOCI template.

• LAWYEREDLAWYERED Alum Member
    335 karma

@JustDoIt said:
    I wouldn't plan on taking an LSAT in 2019. Harvard, Stanford, and Chicago don't allow for additional LSATs to get off the waitlist. Further, Chicago doesn't allow for any changes to your application once it is complete and have a very strict LOCI template.

Hi! Thanks for the response. I'm not applying to super highly ranked schools like Harvard, Stanford, etc. I am applying to some UCs (UCI, UC Davis, UCLA, etc.) and a couple of low-ranking schools like Chapman, Pepperdine, etc.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Since you're looking at CA schools, I'll mention that USC specifically would not review my application if I had a pending LSAT. So, if you are planning on applying there, keep that in mind. I was registered for February this past year to try to do the same thing, but USC wouldn't look at my app until either I took that LSAT or withdrew from it (I chose to withdraw).

Many schools will keep your application as pending if you are registered for a future LSAT. If you want them to review with whatever score you already have on file (say, September's score), then you'll need to send in your application and then e-mail admissions to specify that you would like them to note it as completed and review with your current score.

That aside, as said above, that's really something you should worry about when the time comes. Try to focus on studying and getting the best LSAT score you can, and then figure out how to handle it once you know where you're at. It's also such a personal thing; you'll have to gauge for yourself whether you think you can do better taking the LSAT again. If you think you did as well as you possibly could in September and November, then you'd be better off focusing on LOCIs and visiting schools than just registering for another test for the heck of it.

As a splitter, you'll want to make sure you apply very broadly. Splitter cycles are always very unpredictable. So cast a very wide net in order to help your odds. You'll want to make sure your essays are top notch as well. Lots of folks on the forum here would be happy to read over drafts for you if you need help!