Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For a question that takes too long... should I skip and watch the video?

edited July 2018 in General 615 karma

I'm doing LG CC right now, and just had this one question I couldn't understand.
I spent an hour on that one question and got it, but it seems I'm not utilizing my time well.
Would it be a better use of my time to skip and watch the explanation video? or should I continue with holding onto one question for an hour like I just did? It's too exhausting... I was supposed to finish one more set... I don't think I can.

Comments

• s_jrickes_jricke Alum Member
    360 karma

skipping a question won't kill you, but working with those hard questions for as long as it takes until you understand the reasoning is how you get good at the test.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6050 karma

Figure it out yourself so that you can remember how to solve the problem when you face it on the test. In the videos, JY discusses the idea of "not freezing" frequently and that stems from the problem solving skills you need. If you rely too much on his or someone else's methods when you're stuck it's difficult to remember how to implement those skills. Plus, it's so rewarding to figure out a question you're stuck on even if it takes an hour.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited July 2018 1777 karma

I'll typically spend 15-30 min on a question the first time around, but I've definitely spent more than that on a few questions. If I try and I'm so lost that I literally have no idea how to set up the game board, I'll stop and watch the video first.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I also think it is a good idea to give each and every question/game a good faith effort before watching the video. It doesn't matter if you are wildly wrong. You'll learn a lot about yourself and how your thought process operates when approaching difficult situations. Then I would watch the video. And it doesn't have to be on 1x speed; you can always speed it up a little bit. Even if you don't get it, that's totally fine. Brute force your way through. You may have to do that on test day (I did lol).

• btate87btate87 Alum Member
    788 karma

Especially for LG, I would keep pushing until you figure it out. There were a couple of times where I did throw up my hands in defeat and just watch the video, and both times I think it ended up being a really simple oversight on my part. What I do now (and would tell past-me to do as well), is to redo the entire game and change my setup before watching the video. Print a fresh copy and just start from scratch. Maybe you can switch which set of variables are groups/pieces, maybe you should use a chart. At the minimum, aim to be more visual and less cluttered.