Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How hard is it to transfer after the first year?

RoelaB93RoelaB93 Alum Member
in General 22 karma

I am wanting to transfer after my first year from the law school that I am about to attend. Is it hard to do that? I would like to know if all my classes would transfer or would I have to retake some? Could I transfer after a semester or would I have to complete the first year?

Thanks in advance for the information!

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Generally, it's very difficult to transfer. It's not like undergrad. Not because of the classes (1L classes are basically the same everywhere), but because you have to be top of your class to be accepted as a transfer. And you should know, generally no scholarships will be available at the school you transfer to. It's much wiser to only attend a school where you want to stay instead of planning on transferring.

• RoelaB93RoelaB93 Alum Member
    22 karma

Okay thank you for your advice!

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Generally, it's very difficult to transfer. It's not like undergrad. Not because of the classes (1L classes are basically the same everywhere), but because you have to be top of your class to be accepted as a transfer. And you should know, generally no scholarships will be available at the school you transfer to. It's much wiser to only attend a school where you want to stay instead of planning on transferring.

I agree .. I looked into this and it’s very hard to transfer into the school vs actually getting into it when you first apply .

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I thought about this a lot and I think it is way too risky. Regardless of how much 1L prep you do, it is just too difficult to predict your measure of success in law school, which ultimately depends on where you can transfer too. Especially where everything is determined by one exam, I personally don’t think it’s worth the risk.