Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New and electronic LSATs

ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
in General 1277 karma

Word on the street is that LSAC is making some changes. The move to electronic exams has been in the works but I hadn’t heard the LSAT was thinking of expanding to 10 exams. I’m curious, what do you guys think of the change?

Poll
  1. What do you think of electronic/more exams?48 votes
    1. I love it!
      16.67%
    2. I hate it!
      33.33%
    3. I’m indifferent!
        8.33%
    4. I’m wondering how I will diagram a logic game on this thing.
      37.50%
    5. I would care but I’ve been studying with 7Sage which is all online anyway so we chillin.
        4.17%

Comments

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I need to mark up RC and LR. Idk how I would be able to perform as well if I couldn't use a pencil on an RC passage!

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

My understanding based on my reading is that the tablet lets you write and underline on the screen. Still might be irksome for some test takers.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I wouldn’t mind but I don’t want to stare at a screen for 5 hrs straight.

• MindyKaleMindyKale Alum Member
    350 karma

would the screen force people to shuffle pages back n forth for RC or LG questions? That'd suck. i.e. if I have to look at my general diagram I'd have to scroll a page and then read Q.

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited July 2018 1866 karma

I'm not a fan, tbh -- and I'm saying this as someone who took notes on an iPad for her entire sophomore year. I read more thoroughly and closely on paper and have a tendency to skim when it's electronic. I just like the fact that printed letter are directly on the page while electronic is sort of reflected(?). Not sure how to describe that exactly, but the light seems to make my dry eyes worse when I stare at a screen for too long. Plus marking-up is so much easier on paper.
    In the end, I guess it's all personal preference. But if they're looking to make a shorter, adaptive exam like the GRE (highly doubt that though), then of course electronic would probably be the best option.

• ATLsat_2019ATLsat_2019 Member
    455 karma

I took the experimental digital test in October and found the tablets really cumbersome to use and found it distracting to not be using actual paper. I'm not a fan of the digital format at all but if they do go that route I hope they'll develop a better interface. I felt like trying to read from the tablet and navigate around really slowed me down.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

@ATLsat_2019 I can't believe they're already in testing stages!

• ATLsat_2019ATLsat_2019 Member
    455 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" yeah I believe there have been two experimental digital tests so far! If there's one in the future it's worth signing up for, because they reimburse you for the cost of your actual test if you take it.

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    2803 karma

I think it would make more sense to find a way to instantly score paper tests and provide digitally formatted analytics to test takers. The results could come out 24 hours after the exam date to ensure there is no opportunity for cheating by communicating with a test taker at another test facility. The contention that reading on a screen is vastly different than on paper is very common and appears well founded.

• Nunuboy1994Nunuboy1994 Free Trial Member
    346 karma

I personally think the major benefit of moving to an electronic platform is more privacy; well, unless they administer the tests on tablets and still require you take it in a room filled with a bunch of people. I personally hate having to take the test with a bunch of other people. When I took the GRE it was such a chill day- just walked in after class without anyone there and got a fairly good score. It’s so much easier to think clearly in a private cubicle setting with soundproof headphones.

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

What I don't understand is why we wouldn't be able to move the tablet. When I took the exam, I liked to have my test slanted at like a 245 degree angle. Then again, small price to pay for more access.