Timeline? - Letters of Recommendation

LAWYEREDLAWYERED Alum Member

Hi everyone,

I am taking the September and November LSATS and applying to law school this cycle. I have already asked my professors in person for LORs and they have agreed to write them for me. However, they are asking for an updated resume, a copy of my personal statement and at least two months to write. This would require that I finish writing my Personal Statement and send it to them by the end of September in order to give them two months' time (end of November).

Do you recommend that I email them this month (August) to send them an updated resume, wish them a good summer and inform them that I am still working on my Personal statement but will send a preliminary copy of it to them before the end of September so that they have two months' time to submit my LORs by end of November?

Or should I just gather the necessary pieces of my application together and email them at the end of September with all the necessary materials?

I am planning on submitting my application in late November or early/mid December.

Thank you.
(Very stressed...lol)

Comments

• LAWYEREDLAWYERED Alum Member
    335 karma

• wrasschaertwrasschaert Member
    310 karma

I'm in the same boat as you, applying this cycle and just asked for my LORs. I'm wondering how time sensitive these LORs are for you, are you applying in December or trying to get the early application boost?

From my view, recommenders are going to draw from your PS to talk about whatever is unique about you. I'd imagine those larger ideas would already be there in an early draft, even if it isn't your best writing yet. So, I would go ahead and send them it sooner than later.

edited August 2018 335 karma

@wrasschaert said:
    I'm in the same boat as you, applying this cycle and just asked for my LORs. I'm wondering how time sensitive these LORs are for you, are you applying in December or trying to get the early application boost?

From my view, recommenders are going to draw from your PS to talk about whatever is unique about you. I'd imagine those larger ideas would already be there in an early draft, even if it isn't your best writing yet. So, I would go ahead and send them it sooner than later.

My only concern is that I'm taking the September LSAT within a month and I'd rather put my limited time into studying rather than writing a rush-job preliminary PS to send to my LORs. (Thanks for responding btw) But I'm wondering if I should just get on that PS now rather than later...since I do think I'll probably have to submit my entire app in early December. I'm still kinda shooting for November if I can get the score I need for the September LSAT...but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get that score in September....

• wrasschaertwrasschaert Member
    310 karma

@LAWYERED said:
    My only concern is that I'm taking the September LSAT within a month and I'd rather put my limited time into studying rather than writing a rush-job preliminary PS to send to my LORs. (Thanks for responding btw) But I'm wondering if I should just get on that PS now rather than later...since I do think I'll probably have to submit my entire app in early December. I'm still kinda shooting for November if I can get the score I need for the September LSAT...but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get that score in September....

Yeah, I can definitely see your point. Maybe if you did an extra 30 mins a day on your PS and don't change your LSAT studying at all, you could get more done than you might think. Just an extra 30 mins tacked on, so not a massive commitment. See how far you get by mid August and then decide how much extra time you need. By then, you'll know what writing it will be like too.

• wow at least two months to write a letter of recommendation? If it were me, I would work on my personal statement this week and this weekend and send it to them as soon as you can. Even if it's not the same personal statement you will submitting. I'm sure you already know what you will be saying in your personal statement, so just finish it up and send it to them.

That would suck to apply later than you anticipated, because your professors wanted a personal statement from you. Also, one of my recommenders asked me to write my own letter and they signed off on it for me. Maybe you could suggest something like that. Or maybe tell them what you are passionate about so that they have a better idea on what to write. Best of luck to you, but I definitely agree- better to send it sooner than later.

edited August 2018 335 karma

You know what, I just reread their instructions and they actually want "at least a month or two" to write it...hm...I guess that gives me more time to figure out my LSAT stuff...ugh...so stressful. I also have a full-time job so it feels like there's never enough time. (thanks again, everyone! so glad this forum exists)