Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I or Not...

BroccoliBroccoli Core Member
edited August 2018 in General 352 karma

I graduated last year and I spend on and off studying for LSAT for a year... I'm still struggling and not getting score I want.

I was wondering if it is a good idea to postpone and study one more year and apply next cycle or just try my best and apply this year... Also does 2 yr gap after graduating from college hurt my chance?

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

A two year gap helps, if anything, as long as you've been doing something productive with that time (work, volunteering, etc.). Two years just for studying the LSAT won't look good. What is your goal score and what are you scoring now? If you're close ish then with some dedicated studying you might be able to reach your goal by the November LSAT and then still apply this cycle.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited August 2018 2531 karma

A two year gap is beneficial to your application as long as you are being productive and working full-time. Law schools tend to like students who have worked in technical positions that require long periods of concentration and effort because this is a skill that many students coming right out of undergrad lack. I think that you should postpone your LSAT until you are sure that the score you are going to get in the upcoming test is going to be one that you are happy with. That being said, I think you should always study for the next available test because it helps you stay focused on the test and helps you not get complacent. The "year" idea is fine, but just be aware that if you wait a whole year you might get lazy for 6 or 7 months of that and get less out of it than you want. My advice is to study for the November test as hard as you can, if you aren't ready for November, study as hard as you can for February, if you aren't ready study for June etc. Always study for the next test deadline.

• BroccoliBroccoli Core Member
    352 karma

I'll be taking september test and I'm like 7-8 points away from my goal

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

If a good portion of those are from LG, then a lot of people will tell you that you can pull it off. 7-8 points is a lot in 3.5 weeks though, so it might be worth seriously considering postponing. I would keep studying as though you're taking in September and see how it goes, and then in a couple of weeks make your decision.

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

Law school will still be there in 2 years. No point of rushing into debt.

• Beast ModeBeast Mode Live Member
    840 karma

Just listen to your intuition and work hard until you feel like you are ready. There is no rush. The score influences a lot of things in your application. One thing I wish I did was to be more patient and not rush everything. Study hard and take it when you feel ready. The test is not easy but it is learn-able with persistence you can get there. Please don't rush taking PTs either because if you don't do BR and review your weak areas, there is no benefit from it.

Good luck!!