Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Applying late w/ a better score vs. Applying early

RiseandGrindRiseandGrind Alum Member
edited August 2018 in General 219 karma

Hey 7Sagers! I took the July administration as my third take, and scored a 166. I was PT-ing around 170 before the test, so I think I may have a decent chance of scoring at least a 169 in my next take, which would be November. I was wondering what is the better strategy: applying early (September) with a 166/3.4 GPA or re-taking in November and potentially scoring a 169, but then applying later in the cycle (early December when scores come out). My goal is to land at least a T-14, but more than happy to go to T-20 with scholly money. I am not a URM but a female Pakistani immigrant working in immigration law. Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• Nabintou-1Nabintou-1 Alum Member
    410 karma

I had this same question/concern. David (Busis) said, “your LSAT score overwhelms any consideration of timing, and applying in December, with a November score, isn't late.”

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

A 3.4/166 puts you beneath median at every T14 which an early app does not fix. Definitely retake in November.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

To be very honest, those stats would keep you out of T14 and be a crapshoot for T20. I think in this case you would be better off waiting until you had a better LSAT score on the books. The GPA will make you a splitter, so you really need to make up for it by having a strong LSAT score. Applying to those schools early with the 166 could get you rejected before you have time to up the score, which is a big risk. I'd wait until you re-take.

• SLP_futureJDSLP_futureJD Alum Member
    464 karma

@Nabintou Just breathed a sigh of relief! Thanks for posting this!