Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

switching from powerscore to 7sage & taking november lsat

lorenposslorenposs Alum Member
in General 41 karma

hi all! I have been self studying using the entire powerscore bibles since middle of may & originally planning on taking september test. started feeling unprepared & decided to hold off until november test and put my studying efforts toward something else. had recently used some of the 7sage LG explanation videos & found those very helpful, would like to try switching all of my study time over to 7sage. since i have been studying with powerscore for a solid 3 months and almost halfway through all 3 section’s bibles, was wondering if the 7sage starter pack would be sufficient enough for now? looking for any advice/switchover study tips! thanks a lot!

Comments

• Beast ModeBeast Mode Live Member
    edited August 2018 840 karma

Hi there,

Do you feel comfortable so far with the sections? Have you drilled them and figured out your weak areas ? How is your diagnostic? Just like you, I started with PS bibles and for me it didn't do much so I started over with seven sage. It took me a while to finish the seven sage core curriculum. I am asking this because I don't know your learning style or how much time it takes you to grasp concepts related to the LSAT but the seven sage core curriculum takes a long time to finish if you want to do well. I am not sure if 3 months is enough time to fully benefit from the program. I think you would benefit a lot if you took your time with the fundamentals, drill LR with blind review, fool proof LG PT 1-35 and take practice tests with blind review. If you have a great grasp of the sections then three months is enough.

Good luck, you got this!!

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

The starter pack is definitely sufficient enough to help. The curriculum is the same throughout all packages, the only difference is the amount of access you get to problem sets and explanations of PTs. JY basically provides detailed explanations for each question in PT history starting from PT17 (he does do RC and LG starting from PT1 but I believe LR only starts in PT17). The core curriculum is thorough and usually takes people a few months to get through and that doesn't include time spent going back into the curriculum once they start PT-ing. Depending on where you are scoring on your PT and your goal score (and section break-down) will determine the strategy for you for november. Since you are switching over, you will probably be tempted to skip through lessons where you feel comfortable...I'd recommend against it because everything in the curriculum builds up on one another. At the very least, don't skip the grammar and early argument forms in the curriculum because it's something a lot of people feel they don't need to brush up on but they are tremendously helpful.

• lorenposslorenposs Alum Member
    41 karma

@keets993 said:
    The starter pack is definitely sufficient enough to help. The curriculum is the same throughout all packages, the only difference is the amount of access you get to problem sets and explanations of PTs. JY basically provides detailed explanations for each question in PT history starting from PT17 (he does do RC and LG starting from PT1 but I believe LR only starts in PT17). The core curriculum is thorough and usually takes people a few months to get through and that doesn't include time spent going back into the curriculum once they start PT-ing. Depending on where you are scoring on your PT and your goal score (and section break-down) will determine the strategy for you for november. Since you are switching over, you will probably be tempted to skip through lessons where you feel comfortable...I'd recommend against it because everything in the curriculum builds up on one another. At the very least, don't skip the grammar and early argument forms in the curriculum because it's something a lot of people feel they don't need to brush up on but they are tremendously helpful.

thank you so so much for your honest advice. I was originally thinking of starting 7sage CC from beginning and only skipping over something if I feel I have an adequate grasp on it, if not then completing the full lesson on that topic. I feel a majority of what I have learned from PS so far ha stuck with me & would co wider it learned. from what I have done in PS I was able to improve my score 7 points from diagnostic & can definitely see myself improving more with hard work & dedication before the november test. I have 3 full days set aside a week dedicated strictly to lsat study... with all that being said I hope my plan doesn’t sound completely absurd & impossible ?

• lorenposslorenposs Alum Member
    41 karma

@"Beast Mode" said:
    Hi there,

Do you feel comfortable so far with the sections? Have you drilled them and figured out your weak areas ? How is your diagnostic? Just like you, I started with PS bibles and for me it didn't do much so I started over with seven sage. It took me a while to finish the seven sage core curriculum. I am asking this because I don't know your learning style or how much time it takes you to grasp concepts related to the LSAT but the seven sage core curriculum takes a long time to finish if you want to do well. I am not sure if 3 months is enough time to fully benefit from the program. I think you would benefit a lot if you took your time with the fundamentals, drill LR with blind review, fool proof LG PT 1-35 and take practice tests with blind review. If you have a great grasp of the sections then three months is enough.

Good luck, you got this!!

hello & thank you so much for your help! glad to see that I am not the only one to find PS not as awesome as had hoped... but I have had time to drill all of the LR types I have learned from PS so far & realized some of my strengths/weaknesses. I have been able to improve my score 7 points from my diagnostic just from the PS studying that I have completed thus far & looking to improve 5ish more points (obviously more if possible). I intend to take what I know I am not that strong at & focus on those sections when starting new 7sage CC, as well as starting from the beginning and only skipping through sections that I believe I have a strong grasp on. I hope that my plan doesn’t sound completely ridiculous... just at this point I know that I do not want to stick with PS but also don’t want to kick myself with switching over to whole new curriculum with only 3 months to test. I am open to retaking in january 2019 - thought I would like to try as hard as possible not to have to do that.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

from what I have done in PS I was able to improve my score 7 points from diagnostic & can definitely see myself improving more with hard work & dedication before the november test. I have 3 full days set aside a week dedicated strictly to lsat study... with all that being said I hope my plan doesn’t sound completely absurd & impossible ?

It honestly depends on what your current score is (and section break-down), what your goal score is and what your blind review score is. Blind review is a 7-sage method and it basically consists of reviewing a PT before you score it. You go over any question that you were not 100% sure of during timed conditions and your actually write out your reasoning for picking an answer choice and eliminating the other four. Your blind review score is your theoretical maximum potential because it's the score you would've gotten untimed. Based on what your BR score is in regards to your goal score will help determine what fundamentals you should brush up on or what q-types you should drill or whether it's a timing issue.

It also depends on how set you are for November. Unlike most prep-test companies, the 7sage philosophy is that you take the test when you are ready instead of forcing yourself to take because of a random test date. Depending on where you want to go to school (particularly in the US) the scholarship money increases quite a bit as your LSAT score increases. So even delaying your cycle by one year is not as big a deal in the long run. Of course, that's not to suggest you need to delay, but that's generally the kind of community 7sage is.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

You could always start with the Starter package and upgrade if you need/want to. However, it really depends on your target score. If you're shooting for a 170+, you probably want access to the harder question sets-- which are not available in the Starter package. I'm always a proponent of getting the best package you can afford because the ROI (in terms of scholarship) is amazing.