Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I always suck at RC when it's the first section

amicuslsatamicuslsat Alum Member

My scores (in said section) don't fluctuate when LR/LG are the first sections but whenever RC pops up as the first section, I go from getting a maximum of -5 to a minimum of -10. I'm planning to take all my PT's henceforth with RC as the first section, was wondering if anyone here had some other tips/insights? Thanks:)

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

If you're not doing any warm up problems already, I would add those into your practice. I wouldn't recommend doing a full section or anything, but five or so easy ish LR problems and maybe an easy game to get you in the right frame of mind without tiring yourself out.

• amicuslsatamicuslsat Alum Member
    178 karma

I do warm up before every PT- one RC passage, 10 LR questions, and a game. Which is why I'm so confused by the discrepancy :(

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

That is a little odd! Do you feel like you dislike/get stressed by RC more than the other sections in general? I think taking RC first in your future PTs is definitely a good plan!

• Victoria.Victoria. Member
    553 karma

Maybe you can try taking 5 or so deep breaths before starting the 1st section once you see that it's RC. If you're going to do RC sections 1st from now on hopefully you will get used to it and eventually may not need to do this anymore, but it may help to center yourself and not freak out (if you think that's why you're having the discrepancy). You should also try just drilling RC sections on their own for a few days, it's definitely helped me with pacing and may help you if you get really worried about timing or just need to get more used to doing RC

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited August 2018 1777 karma

Just a thought: if a preceding section gives you anxiety, the adrenaline may actually help with your later sections. If RC isn't first, the adrenaline could help with your RC performance.

• 200 karma

I wouldn't mess with the order, the PTs are structured as they are by testmakers for a reason. Instead of changing around the order of the sections, have you considered adding a fifth "experimental" RC section from an older test and writing that like its the first section?

• AshleighKAshleighK Alum Member
    786 karma

What I used to do (I'm gonna go back to doing this) is going through the passages and doing the ones I like first then the ones I "don't" like last. I usually just skim through the 4 passages take a glimpse at the first line and determine the subject matter. It used to help me get through 1-2 maybe 3 passages fairly quickly because I was so interested in the content and it boosted my confidence. It put me in the right frame of mind for the last passage and even if it was hard, I gave myself more time to work on it knowing I nailed or did fairly well on the others. It's good to keep the order of the PTs randomized because if you try to restructure the PTs based on your preference you have to also realize that probably won't happen on the actual day.

178 karma

@MissChanandler said:
    That is a little odd! Do you feel like you dislike/get stressed by RC more than the other sections in general? I think taking RC first in your future PTs is definitely a good plan!

Both, I dislike it and therefore it causes me a lot of stress. Thank you! Tyring one tomorrow!

178 karma

@"Victoria." said:
    Maybe you can try taking 5 or so deep breaths before starting the 1st section once you see that it's RC. If you're going to do RC sections 1st from now on hopefully you will get used to it and eventually may not need to do this anymore, but it may help to center yourself and not freak out (if you think that's why you're having the discrepancy). You should also try just drilling RC sections on their own for a few days, it's definitely helped me with pacing and may help you if you get really worried about timing or just need to get more used to doing RC

Yes, I really think I should start drilling RC sections. Perhaps my biggest hurdle is just how much I dislike them. :( Thank you!

178 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    Just a thought: if a preceding section gives you anxiety, the adrenaline may actually help with your later sections. If RC isn't first, the adrenaline could help with your RC performance.

Preparing for the worst case scenario here. You're right though!

178 karma

@SomewhereBetween120and180 said:
    I wouldn't mess with the order, the PTs are structured as they are by testmakers for a reason. Instead of changing around the order of the sections, have you considered adding a fifth "experimental" RC section from an older test and writing that like its the first section?

That's a good idea, actually. I'll do that then, makes more sense. Thank you!

178 karma

@AshleighK said:
    What I used to do (I'm gonna go back to doing this) is going through the passages and doing the ones I like first then the ones I "don't" like last. I usually just skim through the 4 passages take a glimpse at the first line and determine the subject matter. It used to help me get through 1-2 maybe 3 passages fairly quickly because I was so interested in the content and it boosted my confidence. It put me in the right frame of mind for the last passage and even if it was hard, I gave myself more time to work on it knowing I nailed or did fairly well on the others. It's good to keep the order of the PTs randomized because if you try to restructure the PTs based on your preference you have to also realize that probably won't happen on the actual day.

I'm always worried this process will take up more time than I can afford. I can barely finish the passages in time as is. :/

• Sam TylerSam Tyler Alum Member
    edited August 2018 454 karma

id suggest a warm up! if RC stresses you out, just redo a RC section for fun 1hr b4 each preptest. Just make sure you also do this on test day on the way to the venue or while you wait. So you don't induce more anxiety, make sure you just redo a section you have done before. You will have read the passage previously, so rereading it will feel easy and you will build some confidence and speed, and hopefully you can carry that into the first section! i do this with LG and its a huge help.