Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

✨ Official September 2018 LSAT Discussion Thread ✨

1246

Comments

  • aurelianaurelian Alum Member
    100 karma

    @"Habeas Porpoise" said:
    I just realized I answered the MBF question as a MBT :scream:
    ...T_T

    Honestly are you sure that it was a MBF? Can you confirm? Because I'm pretty sure it was a MBT. I solved it as a MBT too.

  • studentservicestudentservice Legacy Member Administrator Moderator Student Services
    1421 karma

    @Giselle112 @Nefertari @cqas190517 @smooshie

    We edited your posts. Please read the rules written in OP.

    ❌ Don't talk specifics about the test. (e.g. "I got B for the main point question of the judicial passage" or "the 3rd LG was sequencing") It can get both us and you in a lot of trouble! ☠️

    You cannot say “the 3rd game of the real section was In/Out game.”

  • Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

    @theLSATstruggs said:

    @keepcalmandneuron said:
    Couldn't grasp what the two authors (A and B) were talking about on the opera passages...

    Same. Both of the passages had me extremely confused. I had to guess on some of the questions due to lack of time...since it took me sooo effing long to get some sort of idea what was going on. I think Passage A was trying to say that music should not be combined with words (used poetry as an example) - that both are better alone. What I took from Passage B was basically the opposite - discussing the beauty of pairing music with words??? (Someone please correct me if I am totally off the mark). I am still not completely sure how opera fit into the passages.

    Are you allowed to discuss the content of passages? I got nervous reading your comment.

  • mynameisjeffmynameisjeff Legacy Member
    519 karma

    @Bamboosprout said:

    @mynameisjeff said:

    @Bamboosprout said:
    Thoughts/Analysis:
    LG - I felt like the LGs weren't stupendously hard. Nothing compared to the dinosaur or virus games, but all of them felt like at least 3+stars, and there was a lot of brute forcing required.
    RC - The comp passage was probably the easiest. The law passage was very difficult, because it used a two layered logic in its reasoning and the author was ambivalent on the topic.
    LR - The experimental section was very difficult. The other LR sections were reasonable, and I would say about average. Not too many time waster parallel reasoning questions, except for a super long NA question.

    wow...i think you described it perfectly for me

    LOL spot on

    I felt like it allowed me to perform average. I feel like it was one of the most standard LSATs I've ever taken. I'm hopeful~ Sounds like it didn't go too poorly for you?

    My first real LSAT.

    I was pretty nervous walking in and even when I finished, but now that I look at it..I think I performed around my PT...hopefully!
    I feel like I could've done better, well I always feel that way...but I think I might take it again! I was wayy tooo nervous, anxiety ultimately got to me. Hopefully it won't be as bad 2nd time around.

    hahah sorry for the long vent guys!

  • mynameisjeffmynameisjeff Legacy Member
    519 karma

    Also, if anybody is thinking about cancelling, go read JY's discussion post about that!
    It helps and really makes you think! You have 6 days, so no rush!

  • Blues CluesBlues Clues Alum Member
    106 karma

    Did any proctors give an estimated time when scores would be released?

  • TheShrimpEaterTheShrimpEater Alum Member
    46 karma

    The RC with west coast earthquake and the level of right was experimental. I had that as second RC.

  • 14 karma

    @Bamboosprout said:
    Thoughts/Analysis:
    LG - I felt like the LGs weren't stupendously hard. Nothing compared to the dinosaur or virus games, but all of them felt like at least 3+stars, and there was a lot of brute forcing required.
    RC - The comp passage was probably the easiest. The law passage was very difficult, because it used a two layered logic in its reasoning and the author was ambivalent on the topic.
    LR - The experimental section was very difficult. The other LR sections were reasonable, and I would say about average. Not too many time waster parallel reasoning questions, except for a super long NA question.

    I actually thought the author was far from ambivalent on the Law passage! based on various words I had circled he definitely wasn't impressed with the Shelley court. hope I didn't take away the wrong message haha

  • Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    1861 karma

    @"Blues Clues" said:
    Did any proctors give an estimated time when scores would be released?

    It says Sept. 29th for online scores: https://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/test-dates-deadlines/2018-2019/us-canada-sept

  • Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    1861 karma

    @aurelian said:

    @"Habeas Porpoise" said:
    I just realized I answered the MBF question as a MBT :scream:
    ...T_T

    Honestly are you sure that it was a MBF? Can you confirm? Because I'm pretty sure it was a MBT. I solved it as a MBT too.

    To be honest, I don't remember. I think I wrote MBF on the side of the stimulus but I could be completely wrong. Someone else in the thread mentioned MBF so I got a doubt--I was scrambling on the question 'cause I'd skipped it.

  • ad_coelumad_coelum Alum Member
    edited September 2018 285 karma

    Hi all! Does anybody remember having the high fat diet and domestic iron mining questions?

    My two cents: felt like this test was easier than July. LR seemed especially easier. LG didn’t have any weird setups but I agree with others that they were time consuming.

    Happy to be done!

  • camelia0102camelia0102 Alum Member
    17 karma

    So for people who had the Lr test section and order went Lr Rc Lr Lr Lg do we know which of the LRs was the experimental? I found the 1st and 3rd to be easy and the 2nd to be more challenging personally. Can't remember the specifics of any of them though.

  • Raychul123Raychul123 Legacy Member
    179 karma

    @"aviated.wings" said:
    Hi all! Does anybody remember having the high fat diet and domestic iron mining questions?

    My two cents: felt like this test was easier than July. LR seemed especially easier. LG didn’t have any weird setups but I agree with others that they were time consuming.

    Happy to be done!

    Yes I had both of those questions (experimental RC). and Yes! I totally agree with you- I didn't take July, but I felt that LG was very time consuming- I usually finish the section in under 20-25 minutes, and it took me the whole 35 minutes!

  • AngusMcGillisAngusMcGillis Legacy Member
    403 karma

    @"Habeas Porpoise" said:

    @aurelian said:

    @"Habeas Porpoise" said:
    I just realized I answered the MBF question as a MBT :scream:
    ...T_T

    Honestly are you sure that it was a MBF? Can you confirm? Because I'm pretty sure it was a MBT. I solved it as a MBT too.

    To be honest, I don't remember. I think I wrote MBF on the side of the stimulus but I could be completely wrong. Someone else in the thread mentioned MBF so I got a doubt--I was scrambling on the question 'cause I'd skipped it.

    I remember, I was shrugging at the AC choices " I guess that could be true"

  • gkoebel1gkoebel1 Legacy Member
    122 karma

    I had RC-LR-LR-LR-LG. After reading the first RC I literally was just thinking about how bad I hate the LSAC. LR wasn't bad in my opinion.

  • practicethepausepracticethepause Alum Member
    111 karma

    @ahmadhmango I chose that answer choice as well!

  • mynameisjeffmynameisjeff Legacy Member
    519 karma

    We edited your posts. Please read the rules written in OP.

    ❌ Don't talk specifics about the test. (e.g. "I got B for the main point question of the judicial passage" or "the 3rd LG was sequencing") It can get both us and you in a lot of trouble! ☠️

    You cannot say “the 3rd game of the real section was In/Out game.”

    hey guys, just reposting this here. watch what you comment!

    Trust me, I wanna talk about it too and really get into detail but I would want this community to get in trouble.

  • kelsey.cloudkelsey.cloud Member
    edited September 2018 2 karma

    I had 3 LR sections and trying to figure out which one was the experimental. Did anyone else have a question that was asking “so and so disagree with each other about all of the following EXCEPT”? I had LR RC LR LR LG and that weird question type was in the first section

  • lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    889 karma

    i had rc-lr-rc-lg-lr. the experiemental rc was so easy imo. i'm mad it was experimental haha. i finished the real rc with no time to spare and check my unsure questions. LG wasn't crazy hard but there was a lot of brute forcing esp with the last game or 3rd game that i had to guess on a couple questions and had no time to double check anything. anyways, the whole test made me feel way better than july did.

  • BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

    @mynameisjeff said:

    @Bamboosprout said:

    @mynameisjeff said:

    @Bamboosprout said:
    Thoughts/Analysis:
    LG - I felt like the LGs weren't stupendously hard. Nothing compared to the dinosaur or virus games, but all of them felt like at least 3+stars, and there was a lot of brute forcing required.
    RC - The comp passage was probably the easiest. The law passage was very difficult, because it used a two layered logic in its reasoning and the author was ambivalent on the topic.
    LR - The experimental section was very difficult. The other LR sections were reasonable, and I would say about average. Not too many time waster parallel reasoning questions, except for a super long NA question.

    wow...i think you described it perfectly for me

    LOL spot on

    I felt like it allowed me to perform average. I feel like it was one of the most standard LSATs I've ever taken. I'm hopeful~ Sounds like it didn't go too poorly for you?

    My first real LSAT.

    I was pretty nervous walking in and even when I finished, but now that I look at it..I think I performed around my PT...hopefully!
    I feel like I could've done better, well I always feel that way...but I think I might take it again! I was wayy tooo nervous, anxiety ultimately got to me. Hopefully it won't be as bad 2nd time around.

    hahah sorry for the long vent guys!

    Definitely prepare to retake. Expect the worst; hope for the best. I think, on average, people jump up at least 3 points from the first to second test.

  • gzandersgzanders Monthly Member
    3 karma

    @"Wait what" said:
    was the RC with > @Paolagut94 said:

    The RC that was real was the one with the opera.

    Did the RC with opera have a passage about degrees of "right" as the last passage. I remember the opera but I cannot remember if it was the same one.

    No, there was not a passage about degrees In the real RC. The real RC had opera and bees.

  • mynameisjeffmynameisjeff Legacy Member
    519 karma

    @Bamboosprout said:

    @mynameisjeff said:

    @Bamboosprout said:

    @mynameisjeff said:

    @Bamboosprout said:
    Thoughts/Analysis:
    LG - I felt like the LGs weren't stupendously hard. Nothing compared to the dinosaur or virus games, but all of them felt like at least 3+stars, and there was a lot of brute forcing required.
    RC - The comp passage was probably the easiest. The law passage was very difficult, because it used a two layered logic in its reasoning and the author was ambivalent on the topic.
    LR - The experimental section was very difficult. The other LR sections were reasonable, and I would say about average. Not too many time waster parallel reasoning questions, except for a super long NA question.

    wow...i think you described it perfectly for me

    LOL spot on

    I felt like it allowed me to perform average. I feel like it was one of the most standard LSATs I've ever taken. I'm hopeful~ Sounds like it didn't go too poorly for you?

    My first real LSAT.

    I was pretty nervous walking in and even when I finished, but now that I look at it..I think I performed around my PT...hopefully!
    I feel like I could've done better, well I always feel that way...but I think I might take it again! I was wayy tooo nervous, anxiety ultimately got to me. Hopefully it won't be as bad 2nd time around.

    hahah sorry for the long vent guys!

    Definitely prepare to retake. Expect the worst; hope for the best. I think, on average, people jump up at least 3 points from the first to second test.

    love hearing that! I know, we gotta make improvements. I know what I did wrong the first time. I now know the testing environment. It will only get better

  • 14 karma

    @camelia0102 said:
    So for people who had the Lr test section and order went Lr Rc Lr Lr Lg do we know which of the LRs was the experimental? I found the 1st and 3rd to be easy and the 2nd to be more challenging personally. Can't remember the specifics of any of them though.

    I had the same order, and as long as they didn't swap LR's with each other, it looks like the first LR was experimental, which is unfortunate as I murdered that one

  • ad_coelumad_coelum Alum Member
    285 karma

    @Raychul123 said:

    @"aviated.wings" said:
    Hi all! Does anybody remember having the high fat diet and domestic iron mining questions?

    My two cents: felt like this test was easier than July. LR seemed especially easier. LG didn’t have any weird setups but I agree with others that they were time consuming.

    Happy to be done!

    Yes I had both of those questions (experimental RC). and Yes! I totally agree with you- I didn't take July, but I felt that LG was very time consuming- I usually finish the section in under 20-25 minutes, and it took me the whole 35 minutes!

    Thanks for confirming it was experimental. Can't wait to get the score in 3 weeks! Hope you get the score you want too.

  • MorganDobersekMorganDobersek Alum Member
    18 karma

    I had 3 LR. Does anyone know which one was experimental?

  • MorganDobersekMorganDobersek Alum Member
    18 karma

    @"joseph.bryden" said:
    Wow for someone who relies on going only -2 on LG, I had to guess on 6 questions. Difficult for me. How will this test be weighted? I feel as if I got between 61-68 questions correct, so I don't know what my expectations should be.

    Yeah I thought the LG section was real hard for me this time too. I hope there is a curve!

  • cheyennetlewischeyennetlewis Alum Member
    39 karma

    Anyone else have LR-RC-LR-LR-LG and screw up on the one section that wasn't the experimental then kill the experimental section? I'm freaking out.

  • GenGen85GenGen85 Member
    53 karma

    @"Habeas Porpoise" .... join the club..... I also realized that after reading the comments???

  • GenGen85GenGen85 Member
    edited September 2018 53 karma

    @"aviated.wings" said:
    Hi all! Does anybody remember having the high fat diet and domestic iron mining questions?

    My two cents: felt like this test was easier than July. LR seemed especially easier. LG didn’t have any weird setups but I agree with others that they were time consuming.

    Happy to be done!

    Yes, I had the fat and diet and iron mining thing. I had two LG sections.
    I agree, RC was tough for me, and it was my first section. LG was pretty easy except for the first game which has one odd rule. LRs seemed relatively easy; although, I’m sure I may have misjudged a bunch. Lol

  • gkoebel1gkoebel1 Legacy Member
    122 karma

    Anyone have a clue which LR was experimental in the LR-RC-LR-LR-LG ?

  • DByrne07DByrne07 Monthly Member
    279 karma

    @gkoebel1 said:
    Anyone have a clue which LR was experimental in the LR-RC-LR-LR-LG ?

    I think the 1st was experimental.....

  • DByrne07DByrne07 Monthly Member
    279 karma

    @cheyennetlewis said:
    Anyone else have LR-RC-LR-LR-LG and screw up on the one section that wasn't the experimental then killI the experimental section? I'm freaking out.

    I think the first one was experimental.....

  • NefertariNefertari Alum Member
    202 karma

    @cheyennetlewis said:
    Anyone else have LR-RC-LR-LR-LG and screw up on the one section that wasn't the experimental then kill the experimental section? I'm freaking out.

    raises hand I (mistakenly) thought I was sensing an experimental vibe from the hard section bc of all the weird questions! I had picked up such good momentum from the first two sections and was high off the thrill of it and then BAM. Rotting wood ink. Desert fleas. Hating on dog people. Why?? Why?? :(

  • ad_coelumad_coelum Alum Member
    edited September 2018 285 karma

    @GenGen85 said:

    @"aviated.wings" said:
    Hi all! Does anybody remember having the high fat diet and domestic iron mining questions?

    My two cents: felt like this test was easier than July. LR seemed especially easier. LG didn’t have any weird setups but I agree with others that they were time consuming.

    Happy to be done!

    Yes, I had the fat and diet and iron mining thing. I had two LG sections.
    I agree, RC was tough for me, and it was my first section. LG was pretty easy except for the first game which has one odd rule. LRs seemed relatively easy; although, I’m sure I may have misjudged a bunch. Lol

    Cool, thanks for confirming on your end. Yeah, LR felt like my strong suit this time around. Hope you get the score you want!

  • niki2018niki2018 Legacy Member
    54 karma

    I always finish all 4 games and usually get around -3 and I had to guess on 6 questions. Where was that easy 6 min max game anyway?????
    I also did terrible on RC :smile: I was far from confident when choosing answers! I wish I ha only focused on 3 passages.

  • niki2018niki2018 Legacy Member
    54 karma

    @"aviated.wings" said:

    @GenGen85 said:

    @"aviated.wings" said:
    Hi all! Does anybody remember having the high fat diet and domestic iron mining questions?

    My two cents: felt like this test was easier than July. LR seemed especially easier. LG didn’t have any weird setups but I agree with others that they were time consuming.

    Happy to be done!

    Yes, I had the fat and diet and iron mining thing. I had two LG sections.
    I agree, RC was tough for me, and it was my first section. LG was pretty easy except for the first game which has one odd rule. LRs seemed relatively easy; although, I’m sure I may have misjudged a bunch. Lol

    Cool, thanks for confirming on your end. Yeah, LR felt like my strong suit this time around. Hope you get the score you want!

    Was the first LR experimental in the LR RC LR LR LG version?

  • 13 karma

    This was my second attempt at the LSAT, I was hoping for a pretty big score increase because of my PT's but unfortunately I'm claiming an L on that goal.
    From reading the comments it does sound like the Musician LG passage got everyone and so did the Shelly or Plate Tectonic RC passages. I personally had to guess on the majority of the questions on the last sections of my RC and real LG which also happened to be the two passages I mentioned above. So who knows... maybe the guessing gods were on my side but for now all we can do is wait :( This LSAT was a time crunch like non other but I guess maybe it's better to feel less confident in my performance than overly confident... right?

  • sagemunchkinsagemunchkin Alum Member
    13 karma

    wait can someone explain the curve? like if PS is predicting -10 curve does that mean everyone gets 10 points free? I don't get it and had no idea there was possibility of a curve on the LSAT LOL

  • zarrillizarrilli Alum Member
    edited September 2018 4 karma

    I'm considering voiding this test, but first I wanted to consult the masses for some much-needed wisdom and advice. Any and all replies are very much appreciated.

    This is my first time taking the LSAT, but I want to apply this cycle. I want to attend a T14 and was typically scoring 170+ on my PTs. I thought I did slightly worse than average in the LR and RC sections due to test day nerves that affected my ability to reason clearly and sharply. However, nothing too damaging.

    Unfortunately, I shot myself in the foot in the LG section. I misinterpreted a [Admin note: deleted. too specific.]. So I had to redo that game, which left me only 5 minutes for the last game. I basically guessed for a lot of questions on the last game.

    Knowing how I typically do on all of the sections, I probably scored around a 165. I will retake in November. Even though most schools say they look at the highest score, should I void?

  • DawnHenryDawnHenry Legacy Member
    298 karma

    @sagemunchkin said:
    wait can someone explain the curve? like if PS is predicting -10 curve does that mean everyone gets 10 points free? I don't get it and had no idea there was possibility of a curve on the LSAT LOL

    Curve means how many you can get wrong and still score 170. A -10 curve means you can get 10 wrong and score a 170.

  • ShernitRonesShernitRones Alum Member
    7 karma

    I had LR RC LR/LR LG format. My second LR section had a strengthening question about geneticly determined facial recognition in humans and chimps. Anyone know if this was the experimental? Can’t remember any other questions.

  • Raychul123Raychul123 Legacy Member
    179 karma

    @ShernitRones said:
    I had LR RC LR/LR LG format. My second LR section had a strengthening question about geneticly determined facial recognition in humans and chimps. Anyone know if this was the experimental? Can’t remember any other questions.

    real

  • jessicamariejames118jessicamariejames118 Alum Member
    9 karma

    Does it usually take until the date they say to get your score back or have they ever come back earlier than that?

    Reading comp killed me this time around. It was my first section and when she called 5 minutes I still had a whole passage left. Felt good about the rest of it though so hoping I am okay.

  • sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

    @jessicamariejames118 I bet they will start releasing like last time from 9 am.

  • JK_fish92JK_fish92 Alum Member
    175 karma

    @PearsonSpecterLittUp said:
    Anyone else find the kindness/respect/content question and the fairy ring question to be pretty hard?

    YES. I spent way too much time on the kindness question and still think I missed it. Do you remember if this one was in the 26 Q section or 25????

  • JK_fish92JK_fish92 Alum Member
    175 karma

    For those of you who are pretty good LGers, did anybody else find this section particularly difficult? I made mega improvements in games. Went -0 multiple PT’s and my average was 2 or 3. I didn’t even get to attempt the last game. I don’t know if it was nerves because it was my last section and I felt the need to be perfect to compensate for my train wreck of RC, or if maybe the games were more difficult than I though. Seemed straight forward enough but the infrineces that I can usually just put in my head and roll thorough the questions with seemed to be absent or very tough to find, for me. Appreciate the responses as I’m wondering if I need to put more focus on LG for my next take as I started not drilling it after I was a consistent 0 to 3 5-6 PT’s in a row.

  • gkoebel1gkoebel1 Legacy Member
    122 karma

    @JK_fish92 I feel the same way as yourself. My last 8-10 PT's I have been between -2 and -5 without deviation. On my LG I had 5 questions I didn't even get to. Probably went somewhere between -5 and -8 on it. May have been chance or even nerves but this one definitely got me.

  • kirbyshilkirbyshil Member
    3 karma

    apparently, the rc was from the december 2017 sabbath test...does anyone know if this test is released anywhere??

  • FoolProofFunFoolProofFun Alum Member
    122 karma

    Can anyone point me to official language from LSAC clearing us to discuss what was described as fair game above? Or at least put forth an explanation for how the criteria was deduced? I can see how there would be gray area, but am looking to avoid any gray area, and I have seen other rules moderating these types of discussions online. Thanks.

  • qwerty23qwerty23 Legacy Member
    29 karma

    @JK_fish92 @gkoebel1

    Same here, I usually go -2ish and didn't even get to the last 3 questions. Glad to hear it's not just me, especially since the games were really straight forward..

Sign In or Register to comment.