Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

✨ Official September 2018 LSAT Discussion Thread ✨

12346»

Comments

  • akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9361 karma
  • joseph.brydenjoseph.bryden Legacy Member
    98 karma

    What’s the curve

  • akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9361 karma

    @"joseph.bryden" said:
    What’s the curve

    -11 according to PowerScore CEO

  • willis91willis91 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 101 karma

    Got my score. See y'all in November lol.

  • wrasschaertwrasschaert Legacy Member
    310 karma

    @katewillis91 said:
    Got my score. See y'all in November lol.

    Lol same here, way below my average.

  • cqas190517cqas190517 Alum Member 🍌
    535 karma

    Wayyyyyy below my PT average. November, here we come!

  • mehreenmirmehreenmir Member
    27 karma

    Yea FML. Horrible score! Gotta do this in November again! I’m heart broken I thought I did way better than this score :(

  • TeaLoverTeaLover Alum Member
    151 karma

    Way lower than my average....where can I find the answer key?

  • GenGen85GenGen85 Member
    edited September 2018 53 karma

    November it is.:/

  • Jay TeeJay Tee Alum Member
    298 karma

    For those of use who didn’t get the score we wanted, what should our approach be to review this test? Should we try to blind review by at least attempting all the questions under untimed conditions or check our answers now and just try to figure out the ones we got wrong? I was expecting to get scanned copies of our question books with our markings but that’s obviously not the case so there’s no way for me to know which ones I circled to come back to.

  • PandaRamenPandaRamen Alum Member
    162 karma

    @"Jay Tee" said:
    For those of use who didn’t get the score we wanted, what should our approach be to review this test? Should we try to blind review by at least attempting all the questions under untimed conditions or check our answers now and just try to figure out the ones we got wrong? I was expecting to get scanned copies of our question books with our markings but that’s obviously not the case so there’s no way for me to know which ones I circled to come back to.

    Answer sheet should be available on the LSAC website under the name "Answer Sheet." Correct answers would be under the "Item Response Report" link.

  • Jay TeeJay Tee Alum Member
    edited September 2018 298 karma

    @PandaRamen said:

    @"Jay Tee" said:
    For those of use who didn’t get the score we wanted, what should our approach be to review this test? Should we try to blind review by at least attempting all the questions under untimed conditions or check our answers now and just try to figure out the ones we got wrong? I was expecting to get scanned copies of our question books with our markings but that’s obviously not the case so there’s no way for me to know which ones I circled to come back to.

    Answer sheet should be available on the LSAC website under the name "Answer Sheet." Correct answers would be under the "Item Response Report" link.

    Yeah, I know. I’m just wondering if I should try to answer the questions first before looking at the answers like I would in blind review, so I don’t jump the gun and just check which ones I got right and wrong.

    So basically, should I treat this like a PT and make an attempt to answer the questions (even though I don’t have circled questions to come back to) before checking the answers so I can get an idea of what I did bad on both test day and untimed versus what I got right untimed but wrong on test day?

  • keepcalmandneuronkeepcalmandneuron Alum Member
    edited September 2018 470 karma

    https://media.giphy.com/media/l41K4KlVE8dgozf8I/giphy.gif

    I guess I'll see y'all pretty faces again in November. (heart)

  • khanrsoniakhanrsonia Alum Member
    42 karma

    For sure taking November to get in the school of my choice, but ya'll I legit did 4 points than my best. Best I've ever gotten, and a super high percentile, was it just an easy exam or was I a fluke?? I studied for max 3 weeks spread out over 2 months and this was my 2nd LSAT. Super happy but really confused.
    PS: My schools don't average LSATs just take your highest mark. Thank God!

  • nikalettenikalette Alum Member
    18 karma

    How does the curve work? Is it already factored into our Raw score?

  • GenGen85GenGen85 Member
    53 karma

    I’m soooo pisssseeed at myself I got 22 questions on my LG and I forgot to bubble in one answer and I knew it!!! And RC totally screed me!! I’m so pissssseeeeddddd!!!!!

  • PandaRamenPandaRamen Alum Member
    162 karma

    @"Jay Tee" said:

    @PandaRamen said:

    @"Jay Tee" said:
    For those of use who didn’t get the score we wanted, what should our approach be to review this test? Should we try to blind review by at least attempting all the questions under untimed conditions or check our answers now and just try to figure out the ones we got wrong? I was expecting to get scanned copies of our question books with our markings but that’s obviously not the case so there’s no way for me to know which ones I circled to come back to.

    Oh sorry. I misread your post. This is my second take. I took my first one last December. What I did was save everything to my computer. Not sure if you know, but LSAC takes the PDF down after a certain time. Anyway, I think it depends on your score. If your score was around the 7Sage Analytics average, then I would go untimed PT then review. But if it's below, I would save this test after I have reviewed and practiced other available PTs. Then do a timed retake.

    I approached my December copy this way. my rationality was that, the LSAC score already shows my timed test. Going untimed seems like a practice in futility specially if you have not reviewed any LSAT material after September 8. Its just a reassurance practice of "I could have done better if I did X, Y, and Z". However if youve been studying even AFTER the September 8 test, then by all means go untimed. I saved my December test for my last PT before test day. This could be comparable data of the First Take mistake and then after you've worked on yoour fundamentals some more.

  • zrkarenzrkaren Alum Member
    60 karma

    My IRR sheet is blank. Are they uploading them later?

  • Meghan_7Meghan_7 Alum Member
    10 karma

    @zrkaren said:
    My IRR sheet is blank. Are they uploading them later?

    Ditto! What’s the deal?

  • Meghan_7Meghan_7 Alum Member
    10 karma

    If your IRR sheet is blank try opening on a computer instead of phone/tablet!

  • zrkarenzrkaren Alum Member
    60 karma

    For all of us retaking in November...
    Is the time that the score gets released too late to apply?

  • Marshm3llo12-1Marshm3llo12-1 Alum Member
    16 karma

    Just wanted to say thank you. I improved from a 152 in June to a 163 today. Im so happy. now to finish polishing off applications!

  • I can see my total score and have the answer sheet but how do you find out what you got on the individual sections.

  • lchaney22lchaney22 Legacy Member
    18 karma

    @aholtzer look at your IRR and compare the credited response with the answers you bubbled in.

  • Jay TeeJay Tee Alum Member
    edited September 2018 298 karma

    @PandaRamen said:

    @"Jay Tee" said:

    @PandaRamen said:

    @"Jay Tee" said:
    For those of use who didn’t get the score we wanted, what should our approach be to review this test? Should we try to blind review by at least attempting all the questions under untimed conditions or check our answers now and just try to figure out the ones we got wrong? I was expecting to get scanned copies of our question books with our markings but that’s obviously not the case so there’s no way for me to know which ones I circled to come back to.

    Oh sorry. I misread your post. This is my second take. I took my first one last December. What I did was save everything to my computer. Not sure if you know, but LSAC takes the PDF down after a certain time. Anyway, I think it depends on your score. If your score was around the 7Sage Analytics average, then I would go untimed PT then review. But if it's below, I would save this test after I have reviewed and practiced other available PTs. Then do a timed retake.

    I approached my December copy this way. my rationality was that, the LSAC score already shows my timed test. Going untimed seems like a practice in futility specially if you have not reviewed any LSAT material after September 8. Its just a reassurance practice of "I could have done better if I did X, Y, and Z". However if youve been studying even AFTER the September 8 test, then by all means go untimed. I saved my December test for my last PT before test day. This could be comparable data of the First Take mistake and then after you've worked on yoour fundamentals some more.

    No worries! And okay, that makes a lot of sense. I actually scored the same as my average, but I was hoping to meet or beat my highest (which is just foolish to expect or hope for). I haven’t studied at all since the administration though, so I think you’re right — at this point it’d just be an ego boost to do it untimed.

    To figure out my weak areas, I think I just need to check my answers now and decide how to study moving forward.. thank you for the insight. This is my first take so I wasn’t sure how best to proceed.

  • Has anyone seen that now 23 schools are accepting the GRE in lieu of LSAT including many top T-20 law schools. I just took my first LSAT and got 171. I think instead of taking another LSAT test and risk my score going down, I might just take the GRE and if high enough submit both scores for my application. Is anyone else thinking the same thing. The thing with GRE way easier to study for the GRE than the LSAT .

  • @GenGen85 who asked "how do i figure the curve?" The curve is built into your score . The curve defines how many wrong to get a 170 score, so on the Sept. test the curve was -11 so getting 11 wrong would equal a 170 score.

  • sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

    @aholtzer I don't think this's too meaningful. Once you have an LSAT score schools have to report it. And since GRE is still not currently used in ranking, it won't offset the influence too much.

  • PandaRamenPandaRamen Alum Member
    162 karma

    @aholtzer said:
    Has anyone seen that now 23 schools are accepting the GRE in lieu of LSAT including many top T-20 law schools. I just took my first LSAT and got 171. I think instead of taking another LSAT test and risk my score going down, I might just take the GRE and if high enough submit both scores for my application. Is anyone else thinking the same thing. The thing with GRE way easier to study for the GRE than the LSAT .

    I would check this. I know that for Harvard they only accept I think 2 GRE applicants. There are also stipulations for other schools like if you have NEVER taken an LSAT administered test, then theyll accept the GRE. But if you've already taken an LSAT administered test, then GRE is moot. I think this is to boost PhD holders to pursue law. But Im not sure. I would definitely check with the school just to make sure.

  • I think within the next couple years that the numbers will "tip" and more and more schools will accept the GRE in lieu of LSAT or in addition to the LSAT ,similar to MBA programs taking both the GMAT or GRE or colleges taking both the ACT or SAT. now that 23 schools have started this trend including many in the top 20, I believe others will follow suit too. For now glad i took the LSAT early in my academic career (rising junior in college) since the exam holds for 5 years and I got a good score of 171, but will keep looking at the trends to see what happens and possibly take the GRE as well instead of another stab at the LSAT. I feel my studying for the LSAT could help me do well on the GREs particularly the reading comprehension helping with the verbal section of the GRE.

  • edited September 2018 148 karma

    I think its only a matter of time that GRE will also factor into the law schools rankings and that all school will accept both scores and there wont be any stipulations that if you ever took a LSAT you cant submit a GRE. Wasnt willing to totally chance it so took the September 2018 LSAT, but definitely plan on taking the GRE after studying and seeing what happens. I def. cant take a chance that I study again for LSAT and my 171 score falls below 170. I also think studying for the GRE will feel way easier than studying for the LSAT.

  • drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2222 karma

    @aholtzer said:
    Has anyone seen that now 23 schools are accepting the GRE in lieu of LSAT including many top T-20 law schools. I just took my first LSAT and got 171. I think instead of taking another LSAT test and risk my score going down, I might just take the GRE and if high enough submit both scores for my application. Is anyone else thinking the same thing. The thing with GRE way easier to study for the GRE than the LSAT .

    As others have pointed out, once you take the LSAT schools will not consider your GRE score. Law schools began accepting the GRE after the University of Arizona Law began doing so to boost the number of applicants and enrollment at the school. Harvard followed suit, and obviously once Harvard does something in legal education other schools take notice.

    The GRE is taken by far more students and is administered year round via computer tests, versus the LSAT which is administered every 2-3 months and strictly in person on paper $$$ (for now). I don't know if the GRE scores will ever factor into law school rankings, but a little competition for the LSAT would be good for students.

  • 180degrees180degrees Alum Member
    edited October 2018 121 karma

    GRE scores already play a role in law school rankings. For reference, visit https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/articles/law-schools-methodology.

    Here's the relevant quote: "Median LSAT and GRE scores (0.125): These are the combined median scores on the Law School Admission Test of all 2017 full-time and part-time entrants to the J.D. program. For the second consecutive year, U.S. News used median GRE scores in combination with LSAT scores for this indicator if they were reported for a law school's 2017 entering class."

  • angrigory2angrigory2 Member
    6 karma

    @AngusMcGillis said:
    Some guy was erasing after the 5th section, when the proctors were picking up the answer sheets/booklets. I told the proctors. They said he was reported to the LSAC. He claimed that he was just erasing marks besides the numbers. I could have sworn he was changing answers

    Anyway I had LR RC LR LR LG

    I normally go 0 on LG, but I thought it was pretty tough.

    Wow you sound quite accomplished there lol....

  • Mia FairweatherMia Fairweather Alum Member
    221 karma

    @studentservice will explanations be coming out for the September 2018LSAT anytime soon ?

  • studentservicestudentservice Legacy Member Administrator Moderator Student Services
    1421 karma

    @"Mia Fairweather" said:
    @studentservice will explanations be coming out for the September 2018LSAT anytime soon ?

    It usually takes about 2 months for us to release explanation videos.

  • Kaleighns4Kaleighns4 Legacy Member
    45 karma

    I took the September LSAT and I am planning on taking it again in November. Aside from going through the September test and doing timed practice tests, what does everyone do to prepare after they've taken it once? Is the best thing to do just go over weak areas and practice those types of questions? Curious what everyone's strategies are going into the next one.

    Let me know!!! :)

  • Mia FairweatherMia Fairweather Alum Member
    221 karma

    Thanks ! Just doubling checking @studentservice

Sign In or Register to comment.