Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PMOR Help

Hey all, quick question for everyone in here: has anyone come across a set of 'rules' like we have for parallel flaw. In paralllel flaw we have the 19 most common errors, which we can then use to eliminate answer choices. Is there something similar for PMOR?

Comments

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Yeah, there's a list of all the common valid argument forms in the CC as well. Half are in validity, and the other half are in some and most relationship lessons. I think just doing more of them, and making your own list will be the most helpful.

• evansiegal94evansiegal94 Member
    94 karma

@Bamboosprout said:
    Yeah, there's a list of all the common valid argument forms in the CC as well. Half are in validity, and the other half are in some and most relationship lessons. I think just doing more of them, and making your own list will be the most helpful.

Do you have a list from which I can continue to build?

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    edited September 2018 1694 karma

@evansiegal94 said:

@Bamboosprout said:

Do you have a list from which I can continue to build?

Honestly, no, hahaha. What I did was write down the MOR every time I got it wrong, and they're dispersed randomly over 300 pages of notes. I never wrote anything down on computer. Hahahaha. I also believe that to get the most of it, you should probably make it yourself, from scratch. I think JY's explanation videos do a good job of putting it in words what the MOR is in each question, so I just used those, and simplified it whenever possible.
    If you give me a question you had trouble with, I will be glad to try to give you an example of how I did it, although I am not sure if my method would help you, since we all learn differently.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

Just an update, @Sami has me writing out the extracted method of reasoning for the questions that I am doing. For example, "This new thing should happen because there is more of this good thing and less of this bad thing". After I write a bunch of these out, I'll let you know if I see any patterns. Sami might have a suggestion as to identify the methods of reasoning quicker, but I think that practicing this may be helpful.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6050 karma

For BR, I usually describe the method of reasoning for any question I struggled with. This helps me get a deeper understanding of the structure in general and helps me be faster at PMOR. There's a lot of patterns in general. Using analogy, putting forth a proposal, valid argument forms, using an example, cause and effect, correlation/causation, phenomenon /hypothesis. One thing I have found with PMOR and even parallel flaw is that for the more difficult questions, don't be super rigid about your anticipation. There's often multiple flaws or multiple ways to describe in tougher questions and they usually go with the more subtle one as the answer choice.