Paralegals ?

ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
in General 905 karma

Hello Hope you are all well -a friend of mine is thinking about doing paralegal then going to law school. Anyone that took this pathway ? pros /cons ... ect

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited September 2018 3652 karma

There’s no reason to actually get a paralegal certificate. It’s a huge waste of time money and energy that could be spent on studying for the lsat and expanding your resume with volunteer work etc. I am working as a paralegal, never got a certificate, just bc I have a gap year before law school. Paralegals are over worked and under paid and entry level positions won’t involve substantive (or any) legal writing. You could get familiar with the legal environment by working as an assistant/secretary/receptionist and if you end up with more years before law school that could expand to more of a paralegal position.
    There’s no reason to strive to become a successful paralegal before law school bc it takes years to do so unless you’ve already made the right connections and have a job lined up. I don’t know anyone who recently got their paralegal certificate who is actually working as a paralegal. They’re working as document clerks and receptionists.

• lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
    938 karma

Hi, great question, hoping I can provide some insight:

There are pros to cons to working as a paralegal before attending law school.

I personally took 2-3 years out of undergrad and worked as an entry level Paralegal. I was lucky enough to start with a very respectable and medium to big sized firm.

I learned so much during my years as a Paralegal. I was in the litigation department and was frequently given substantial work. Of course I had a lot of (female dog) work, too, like photo copying, etc., but the connections I was able to make and learning how a case goes from complaint all the way until trial is honestly priceless. I've been to trial several times, even some of the litigators I've worked with have never been to trial. You get more substantial work as the Attorneys trust you more.

I'm barely applying for law school now. Do I wish I went straight through to law school out of undergrad? Sometimes. But I am glad I did what I did, and do not regret it one bit.

I think the bottom line is becoming a Paralegal is a really good idea if you're unsure of whether or not you want to go to law school, but it is important to find a firm that will give you meaningful work. Law school is a HUGE commitment, so being a Paralegal will definitely help you decide whether or not you want to make this commitment - I've always wanted to be a lawyer, but a lot of things made me reconsider it. After being a Paralegal, I'm positive that this is what I want to do.

Some of the cons I would say are opportunity cost and you might get stuck doing meaningless work. Another con would be that: at some firms, the money might be really good which would lead to a person not wanting to quit. I'm in the bay area, so the compensation was respectable (especially during trial when overtime is required.) The senior paralegals at my office were breaking 6 figures easily with a 40 hour work week. (but they have like 10-15+ years of experience)

Feel free to PM and good luck. Thanks for reading.

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

@lsatgodjk said:
    Hi, great question, hoping I can provide some insight:

There are pros to cons to working as a paralegal before attending law school.

I personally took 2-3 years out of undergrad and worked as an entry level Paralegal. I was lucky enough to start with a very respectable and medium to big sized firm.

I learned so much during my years as a Paralegal. I was in the litigation department and was frequently given substantial work. Of course I had a lot of (female dog) work, too, like photo copying, etc., but the connections I was able to make and learning how a case goes from complaint all the way until trial is honestly priceless. I've been to trial several times, even some of the litigators I've worked with have never been to trial. You get more substantial work as the Attorneys trust you more.

I'm barely applying for law school now. Do I wish I went straight through to law school out of undergrad? Sometimes. But I am glad I did what I did, and do not regret it one bit.

I think the bottom line is becoming a Paralegal is a really good idea if you're unsure of whether or not you want to go to law school, but it is important to find a firm that will give you meaningful work. Law school is a HUGE commitment, so being a Paralegal will definitely help you decide whether or not you want to make this commitment - I've always wanted to be a lawyer, but a lot of things made me reconsider it. After being a Paralegal, I'm positive that this is what I want to do.

Some of the cons I would say are opportunity cost and you might get stuck doing meaningless work. Another con would be that: at some firms, the money might be really good which would lead to a person not wanting to quit. I'm in the bay area, so the compensation was respectable (especially during trial when overtime is required.) The senior paralegals at my office were breaking 6 figures easily with a 40 hour work week. (but they have like 10-15+ years of experience)

Feel free to PM and good luck. Thanks for reading.

Thanks for sharing your insight super helpful will pass on