Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accommodation Advice

TrustingGodTrustingGod Free Trial Member
edited November 2018 in General 240 karma

Hey future lawyers,

I am in the midst of applying for accommodations for my disease. This condition causes me to have various complications when it comes to concentrating. My condition becomes worse under stress, which is inevitable when taking the LSAT. I was wondering if anyone has requested for accommodations before, and if so how did you go about it? Also I am applying for 100% extra time. However, if I get denied, will they deny me without considering me for 50% extra time? Anyone who has been approved for accommodations, please help!

Comments

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 1777 karma

Hi! I have been through this process. First, it is extraordinarily difficult to get 100% extra time. I would not count on that, nor would I want it. It requires an incredible amount of stamina to take a 7-hour test (plus the beginning bubble filling/instructional time and a 15ish min break). You would have to request an additional accommodation for extra breaks. To answer your other question, if you get denied for 100% extra time, they do not consider you for 50% extra time. You would have to get all new documentation asking for 50% extra time and submit that. By the time that all rolls around, you may have to delay your exam to the next one. If you want to talk details or hear about my experience, feel free to send me a message!

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

LSAC is not denying anyone. Ask for what you need, what your documents state, and you'll get it. Seriously. I have not heard of anyone getting denied recently. I would suggest taking a PT with 100% time and make sure that is really what you need (want). Sometimes extra time can have a negative effect. Look into other options that might be better suited to your specific needs. Maybe breaks in between sections or "stop-the-clock" will be better able to help you remain focused, or give you the opportunity to stop time if you lose concentration. Once you figure out specifically what you need due to your auto immune disease, write it up on the "statement of need", have your doctor write something similar/sign it, provide medical documents supporting what you stated, and BAM! You'll get approved.

1777 karma

@LivingThatLSATdream that's not true. The statistics have been published publicly.

• TrustingGodTrustingGod Free Trial Member
    240 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" Thank you for you're insight. I will definitely reach out to you personally. However, can you please post the link to the statistics. I've been looking for it and every time I go on lsac the page says, "page not found." Thanks

240 karma

@LivingThatLSATdream Thank you so much for reaching out. Do yo mind if I message you to learn more about your own experience?

1777 karma

You're right; the link is down. I tried looking for other websites with the same information, but I can't find it anywhere else.

This is the ADA's recommendation to LSAC:

"Pain-Related Conditions and Chronic Medical Disorders (e.g., diabetes, seizures, fibromyalgia, gastrointestinal disorders, arthritis, back disorders which prevent sitting or standing for long periods). For those individuals with documentation of substantial medical issues that prevent them from focusing on the test for continuous periods of time (for example, an individual with Crohn’s Disease may need unscheduled bathroom breaks) such individuals may request the use of stop-the-clock breaks during the testing period in which they request that time be stopped and restarted when they are able to proceed. One minute shall be added to the overall time for each such break to account for the disruptive effects of such breaks. If the disorder also results in cognitive impairment, such as changes to memory or attention when the individual is not having acute issues, the individual shall also be considered for 50% additional time. Candidates requesting more than 50% time must have documentation for time above this amount, as provided in Issue 5, Part II, Standards for Determining More Than Fifty Percent Extra Time, but may not use the impact of such factors as going to the bathroom which is already covered by the time-stopping procedure. These individuals may also request permission to use special chairs or devices. LSAC shall grant these types of requests on a routine basis."

"It is the Panel’s opinion that 50% additional time is a reasonable amount of additional time in most cases. However, some individuals have exceptional needs that justify the request for a testing accommodation of more than 50% additional time. In such situations, the qualified professional should provide a rationale based on history and objective evidence for the request for more than 50% extra time. The rationale must be reasonable and understandable to the reviewer(s) with appropriate expertise."

• edited September 2018 534 karma

Just to piggy-back on this question, has anyone heard of narcolepsy accommodations being accepted or rejected? I'm just wondering if it would fall under the: "If the disorder also results in cognitive impairment, such as changes to memory or attention when the individual is not having acute issues" part that @"samantha.ashley92" posted.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

If you have the appropriate documentation and a statement from your doctor, they legally cannot deny you accommodations per the American Disabilities Act. LSAC was sued over this and they lost, so get the appropriate documentation from a licensed professional and you'll be fine.

1777 karma

@"Adam Hawks" Assuming they have deemed the diagnosis/documentation as acceptable, the issue is not whether or not they have to accommodate you; the issue is whether or not you are asking for "reasonable accommodations". They don't have to give you something just because you have a disability and you ask for it.

@"Michaela.Pratt1" I'm sure they'd give you an accommodation. I'm not sure what type of accommodation that would be, but I would look online and see what people have asked for. Alternatively, talk to your neurologist and see if he/she has any ideas.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    @"Adam Hawks" Assuming they have deemed the diagnosis/documentation as acceptable, the issue is not whether or not they have to accommodate you; the issue is whether or not you are asking for "reasonable accommodations". They don't have to give you something just because you have a disability and you ask for it.

By law they do. If it meets the standards of the American Disabilities Act, they have to give you accommodations. If it does not, then they do not. I mean, who are they to say that you do or don't have a disability unless they hire professionals to say no this person does not have a disability? LSAC screwed up and the flood gates opened up.

1777 karma

@"Adam Hawks" right, but they can say that you're asking for too much.

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    @"Adam Hawks" right, but they can say that you're asking for too much.

Nope. They got sued for that too. And a SF judge rang down on them. LSAC was held in contempt in March 2018 for not complying with a consent decree, specifically for partially approving accommodations and then telling applicants this was what they are approving and the applicant can either accept or not receive accommodations because of deadlines.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/council_that_administers_the_lsat_is_held_in_contempt_ada_consent_decree_is

So as I mentioned @TrustingGod ask for what you need, what your documents state and you’ll be approved. This whole ADA accommodation situation is getting out of hand. And something is going to have to happen in the coming years to get some level of checks and balances back in place. I imagine after the consent decree ends in 2020.

240 karma

@LivingThatLSATdream thank you all so much. Thank you for sending the link. This was all so helpful. I'll let you guys know when I get my decision back

edited September 2018 240 karma

Hey everyone. I've been doing some research and I heard that if someone has a previous lsat score that is decent and applies for accommodations, the may not receive it. I scored a 145 and 147 on my previous LSATs. I actually wrote how I performed poorly on these exams because of my condition. Will these two previous scores hold me back from being granted accommodations?

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    1184 karma

@TrustingGod said:
    Hey everyone. I've been doing some research and I heard that if someone has a previous lsat score that is decent and applies for accommodations, the may not receive it. I scored a 145 and 147 on my previous LSATs. I actually wrote how I performed poorly on these exams because of my condition. Will these two previous scores hold me back from being granted accommodations?

It should not, from what a heard a 150+ (average score) is when they might give you a harder time, however with the new decree plenty of people with such scores have been granted accommodations.

240 karma

@ElleWoods77 thank you that's very reassuring

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    1184 karma

@TrustingGod said:
    @ElleWoods77 thank you that's very reassuring

No problem.

240 karma

Hey everyone, I have one more question. If I need to add something to my application after I already submitted it, can I do so? I realized my doctor didn't fill out one question, and I originally didn't think it was crucial, but now I'm thinking it may be necessary. Any advice on how to go about this?

• Dhil2444Dhil2444 Member
    23 karma

Hey guys, this question might be slightly off topic. However, I have submitted my accommodations forms this past week and instead of typing it, my doctor just hand wrote within the given spaces. It states, that all forms should be typed out. But does anyone have any experience with hand-written applications being accepted?

• Victoria.Victoria. Member
    553 karma

@Dhil2444 would love an update after you get the answer, I didn't turn in my accommodation forms for September partly for this reason

240 karma

@Dhil2444 can you please attach the link where it says this. My doctor typed out her personal statement, but wrote out the other forms. This is the first I'm hearing of this

• GenGen85GenGen85 Free Trial Member
    53 karma

Lsac has gotten extremely laxed with the way accommodations are submitted. @TrustingGod if you have the documents to prove that you need accommodation to level off the playing field, you’ll get them. Call accommodations and ask them if they will automatically approve you for 50% extra time. I do believe that other opinions give insight, but applying for accommodations is very much case by case basis. I wouldn’t stress out about those who are saying you have no chance or it’s extremely difficult. Give it a go and see what happens. Ive been told people have unlimited time or every several days broken apart LSAT and that’s not even an option when applying for accommodations. So anything is possible.

240 karma

@GenGen85 thank you SO much! It's a relief to hear

240 karma

So I submitted my application last week. I heard it takes about two weeks, but I'm getting so impatient. Does anyone want to share a story about how getting accommodations really helped them and their score? I'd love to hear anything positive to pass the time.

edited October 2018 240 karma

Hey everyone, so ... I was approved!! Thank you all for your help and insight. I was feeling hopeless these past few weeks as my condition has been getting very difficult and has made it extremely hard to study. Without these accommodations I don't think I would have a shot at law school. I'm so grateful, I can really see God working in my life, despite these trials. If you don't know my God please get to know Him! He'll make a way when there's no way!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us." - Romans 8:18