Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Post-September Admissions Webinar Questions

taytay91taytay91 Alum Member
edited September 2018 in Law School Admissions 43 karma

I was just in the admissions webinar hosted by David but didn't get a chance to ask some questions. I hope David can see this :)
But also, it would be tremendously helpful if you 7Sagers can comment if you have any thoughts!

So, I've got essentially three questions.

1. I am a foreign student (UK educated) and UK institutions do not have GPA system per se. I've already submitted the transcript to CAS for their individual evaluation but their academic summary report does not say anything about GPA (it only says "Foreign" under the institution section and 'Above Average' for quality academic record) although the transcript has been already processed. How would this work? Should I just care about LSAT score since undergrad GPA is kind of unknown for now?

2. I know Law school admissions are mainly about the numbers (LSAT and undergrad GPA). But where does having a graduate degree (Master's) kick in as a factor? Does it only count as an academic/research experience?

3. I am in Asia so I'm obviously taking the LSAT this October. But depending on the score, I'm willing to travel to US/Canada territory to take the November LSAT. Would this say something unsettling to the admissions process? I mean I was fine and still am fine with the idea. But I have consulted one of my professors and he suggested that taking 2 LSATs in a row within two months may send a wrong signal to schools although I'm not really sure what he meant by that signal. He said that 1 more month wouldn't make a difference but I personally experienced that even 2 weeks of intense PT-ing makes a difference. Since even 1 point increase in LSAT score boosts your admissions chance by many points, I'm more than willing to take both OCT/NOV LSATs.

So.. questions got a little lengthy haha but I would appreciate it if you could share your thoughts on these matters!

Good luck everyone!!

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited September 2018 3652 karma

1 - it’s all about LSAT for you. You can look at myLSN international applicant profiles to try to figure out where you might stand with your projected LSAT score.
    2 - masters degree is a soft factor. It won’t play a huge role but could make you stand out a little bit compared to an applicant with similar stats
    3 - if you aren’t happy with your first score, or maybe you just have a headache or misbubble, or feel you can improve within a month...then you should certainly take the lsat again...especially if you are adamant on applying this cycle. I don’t think it would look any differently than ie someone who took July and then retook in a September...

My answers are based off lurking the forums for the past 2 years so I wouldn’t take my word for it

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

LSAC WON'T LET YOU REGISTER FOR BOTH OCTOBER AND NOVEMBER!!

I recently moved and I wrote the Sept test and tried to register for Oct here, and LSAC wouldn't let me register as October I think = Sept + Nov

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@PearsonSpecterLittUp Weird! Haven't heard of that rule or anything. Have you called LSAC to find out if they have a policy on that or why you can't register?

And @taytay91:

1 - Yes, you won't get a numerical GPA. So, your LSAT score will be very important. It's not necessarily detrimental to not have a GPA, but it means you only really have the one number to rely on.

2 - As @"surfy surf" said, it's a soft. It doesn't make a large difference. They won't consider the GPA much either, unless your GPA is unusually low. Many master's programs inflate grades, so they expect everyone's to be good in grad school. But, it's just a soft factor. Could be a tie breaker between you and a similar applicant, but unfortunately doesn't count for a whole lot from what I've seen.

3 - Would you have the October score in enough time to know to register for November? I feel like you'd have to know much more in advance. You usually don't receive the score for 4 weeks or so. I don't agree that it would look bad to take it twice like that. Sometimes things happen. Many (probably most) people take the test more than once. But, probably should look into what @PearsonSpecterLittUp said. Sounds like you may not be able to register for both.

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

If I recall correctly, it wouldn't let me register for October because it said "already registered" or something like that cause it viewed October to be equivalent to September!

I wrote a test center complaint email thing about an issue I had in Sept and in it I asked about Oct registration, but I haven't heard back yet!

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@PearsonSpecterLittUp said:

If I recall correctly, it wouldn't let me register for October because it said "already registered" or something like that cause it viewed October to be equivalent to September!

I wrote a test center complaint email thing about an issue I had in Sept and in it I asked about Oct registration, but I haven't heard back yet!

Actually, now you can sign up for October LSAT abroad and November LSAT in North America.

But you could not sign up for September LSAT and October LSAT because LSAC's system somehow registered October LSAT as September LSAT.

• taytay91taytay91 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 43 karma

Thank you all for your comments! And @akistotle I'm so relieved to hear that I can register for both October in Asia and November in North America. I literally started sweating when I read that I might not be able to register for November LSAT. And maybe LSAC's system mistakenly registered October LSAT as September LSAT since Asia used to have September LSAT instead of October one until last year.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@taytay91 said:
    Thank you all for your comments! And @akistotle I'm so relieved to hear that I can register for both October in Asia and November in North America. I literally started sweating when I read that I might not be able to register for November LSAT. And maybe LSAC's system mistakenly registered October LSAT as September LSAT since Asia used to have September LSAT instead of October one until last year.

The registration deadline for the Saturday, November 17, 2018 LSAT (US, Canada, Caribbean) is on October 8, 2018: https://www.lsac.org/lsat/lsat-dates-deadlines/november-2018-lsat-deadlines-united-states-canada-and-caribbean

So I recommend signing up early if you are planning to take it!