Potentially Controversial Topic - Personal Statement

LAWYEREDLAWYERED Alum Member

Happy Friday, ya'll

I've been thinking a lot about my personal statement and I've decided to talk about an experience that reaffirmed my commitment to justice and pursuing law but it might be a little controversial. Basically, I had an encounter with a retired cop and a lot of his stories were really glamorized stories of what was essentially police brutality and power trips. By no means do I want to come off as a police-hater. I have a lot of respect for law enforcement and I believe that good police officers carry out justice. In fact, I have a few police officers in my family.
It was just a really eye-opening experience and I think it might show my commitment and passion for law and justice.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Comments

• cdaddario2cdaddario2 Member
    edited September 2018 362 karma

Your writing will be the reason a story is compelling. The subject matter is not as important. My only caution would be to shy away from negativity.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited September 2018 3652 karma

I think that could be briefly mentioned as something that inspired you to pursue volunteer work/your job and then the bulk of it could be about your volunteer work/your job. Or a publication or whatever. I think your PS needs to focus on you and something you yourself did. It shouldn’t be a thinkpiece on social justice in general.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

I too see negativity as the biggest problem with this topic.

IMHO, the issue is not so much about police-hating as it is about depicting someone else in negative light in order to advocate your interest. If you do choose to go along with this story, chances are there will be some negativity involved -- there's no helping it. Just make sure (1) negativity doesn't go overboard and (2) you don't focus on the other guy too much to the point you don't present yourself sufficiently.

• Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma

Without seeing the essay, I would vote for another topic. You risk spending too much of your essay slamming the cop and telling his story. It is hard to see how to make it uplifting and compelling.

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

The problem I see is that you are telling “his stories”. Even if it changed or reaffirmed how you feel by hearing them. It still isn’t about you. I would think of a different topic about you and what qualities will make you a great law student.

• TraianusTraianus Member
    120 karma

@LivingThatLSATdream said:
    The problem I see is that you are telling “his stories”. Even if it changed or reaffirmed how you feel by hearing them. It still isn’t about you. I would think of a different topic about you and what qualities will make you a great law student.

I second this. I wrote what I thought was my best version of my personal statement, only to have a law professor look at it and plainly tell me that it wasn't my story. It hurt, but I'm extremely thankful that he gave me his honest opinion.

I think we can write the best stories about other people and external factors, but the best personal statement you can write will feature you as the main character.