Reverse Splitter - Early Application vs. Retake

TraianusTraianus Member
in General 120 karma

Hey everyone,

Just wanted some thoughts on my situation. My last 10 PT's were averaging 168.5, and I made a 166. I'm definitely disappointed but test day penalty is definitely real.

On the bright side, I was fortunate enough to finish undergrad with 3.9+, so GPA will help me.

Any advice for schools such as UTAustin, Vandy, and others in the same range?

Comments

• The NoodleyThe Noodley Alum Member
    662 karma

I think you have a good chance for those schools!

You can submit your application and tell them 1) either to hold off until your score comes; 2) ask to review your app (each schools does it differently)

if you get in, great! if not, hopefully your retake will get in!

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

Retake. No question. Applying mid December with a new shiny LSAT is way better than standing pat. With a 3.9, you'd be selling yourself short

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

I'm fairly certain that the 7sage predictor factors in what month you apply! So you should plug in your 166 with an early october app, compared to let's say 168/169 with a december app and see what it says!
    Also, you can apply now and still retake :)

• TraianusTraianus Member
    120 karma

@PearsonSpecterLittUp said:
    I'm fairly certain that the 7sage predictor factors in what month you apply! So you should plug in your 166 with an early october app, compared to let's say 168/169 with a december app and see what it says!
    Also, you can apply now and still retake :)

Personally I'm very torn. The 7sage predictor says that I would need at least a 169 to justify a retake. That's not impossible given my average, but I'm not sure how to improve my score in one month to feel comfortable making that score. Studied 3 months with no job or other commitments for LSAT every single day, took 20+ timed PT's, and all my areas were very close to each other in strength. Plateaued pretty hard around 168-169 with a few scores 170+

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

Apply to schools where your score is above median, like UMinn or Notre Dame and wait until you get your November scores back to apply to T14. As this is going to be a long cycle, an app in December is not going to be late at all.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

I think you have a very good chance of getting accepted already. Just make sure your softs are strong as well. You'll definitely be high-middle of the pack if you apply now, but that's not a bad chance.

120 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme said:
    Apply to schools where your score is above median, like UMinn or Notre Dame and wait until you get your November scores back to apply to T14. As this is going to be a long cycle, an app in December is not going to be late at all.

I've seen the term "long cycle" in some other discussions, just wondering exactly what this means / why this year's cycle is different than others?

120 karma

@Bamboosprout said:
    I think you have a very good chance of getting accepted already. Just make sure your softs are strong as well. You'll definitely be high-middle of the pack if you apply now, but that's not a bad chance.

Thank you. I think I have a good PS and interesting work experience, so hopefully that should help too.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

@Traianus said:

@Ohnoeshalpme said:

I've seen the term "long cycle" in some other discussions, just wondering exactly what this means / why this year's cycle is different than others?

The long cycle for this year is due to schools trying to be more cautious about admissions this year. Last year, schools did not anticipate the rise in applicants and high scorers so they over-enrolled in the Fall and Winter. This year, the idea is that schools will hold off much of the admissions until preliminary applicant data from the Nov LSAT pool comes in before rounding out their class. For example, UMichigan apparently over-enrolled by 50 students last year so they offered extra deferrals to students.

120 karma

@eRetaker said:

@Traianus said:

@Ohnoeshalpme said:

The long cycle for this year is due to schools trying to be more cautious about admissions this year. Last year, schools did not anticipate the rise in applicants and high scorers so they over-enrolled in the Fall and Winter. This year, the idea is that schools will hold off much of the admissions until preliminary applicant data from the Nov LSAT pool comes in before rounding out their class. For example, UMichigan apparently over-enrolled by 50 students last year so they offered extra deferrals to students.

That makes sense, thank you for explaining!