Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone done a havent even applied yet interview with WUSTL

_oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
in General 3652 karma

Got an email from them extending an interview offer at a Starbucks before the LSAC forum this weekend. I’ll most likely go just for the law school interview experience but I had no intention of applying. Should I do the research and write up a Why WUSTL essay so I have something to talk about during the interview?

Comments

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

Yeah I did a interview back in July, it was pretty chill. The interviewer is really nice just be prepared to discuss why WUSTL and why law. Other than that, the interviewer sold me on WUSTL very well so keep an open mind.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@eRetaker said:
    Yeah I did a interview back in July, it was pretty chill. The interviewer is really nice just be prepared to discuss why WUSTL and why law. Other than that, the interviewer sold me on WUSTL very well so keep an open mind.

Did they ask any hardball questions like what is a time you made a mistake at work and how did you fix it or what is a time you were a leader or what’s the biggest obstacle you’ve overcome or what would your friends say is your worst quality

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

@oshun1 said:

@eRetaker said:

Did they ask any hardball questions like what is a time you made a mistake at work and how did you fix it or what is a time you were a leader or what’s the biggest obstacle you’ve overcome or what would your friends say is your worst quality

Nope, I did not get the hardball questions. I think the interview is mainly for them to see if you would attend if admitted. The interview flows like a conversation and I personally only got asked what I think of St. Louis as a city and why I want to go into law.

3652 karma

@eRetaker said:

@oshun1 said:

@eRetaker said:

Nope, I did not get the hardball questions. I think the interview is mainly for them to see if you would attend if admitted. The interview flows like a conversation and I personally only got asked what I think of St. Louis as a city and why I want to go into law.

Thank you good to know!! I’ll def research St. Louis as I haven’t been

• KaterynaKateryna Alum Member
    984 karma

I had an interview last week. It was alright. No hard questions, the interviewer was not very nice though.

3652 karma

Lol the only available appt is at 8am I am strongly considering not going

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I applied before my interview, but I got an interview invite last year before applying (sort of like a fee waiver email, but just an invite to do a skype interview haha). They are super nice and the interview was really laidback, even with my application. The only real question they asked was where I might want to practice after law school. No hardballs, no funky questions. More of a "get to know you" type chat. They were actually more curious on questions that I have and asked if I had ever been to St Louis, offered lots of info on the area, etc. Almost the opposite, like they were telling me why WUSTL haha. I'd say just do a bit of research, and have an open mind. I wasn't very interested but went to their ASW last year and ended up really loving it. I'm definitely applying again and keeping them in mind as an option. I'd also be happy to give you info from my visit if you'd like! So you have a little more background and what you might want to ask about. I'd plan on bringing a resume at least, so they have something to look at and ask you questions about.

edited October 2018 3652 karma

Than> @"Leah M B" said:

I applied before my interview, but I got an interview invite last year before applying (sort of like a fee waiver email, but just an invite to do a skype interview haha). They are super nice and the interview was really laidback, even with my application. The only real question they asked was where I might want to practice after law school. No hardballs, no funky questions. More of a "get to know you" type chat. They were actually more curious on questions that I have and asked if I had ever been to St Louis, offered lots of info on the area, etc. Almost the opposite, like they were telling me why WUSTL haha. I'd say just do a bit of research, and have an open mind. I wasn't very interested but went to their ASW last year and ended up really loving it. I'm definitely applying again and keeping them in mind as an option. I'd also be happy to give you info from my visit if you'd like! So you have a little more background and what you might want to ask about. I'd plan on bringing a resume at least, so they have something to look at and ask you questions about.

Thank you I’ll message you if I end up having any qs after I research the school! I’m really not applying though, 2017 NALP shows 0 placements in CA, I just want interview practice.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

As a St Louis resident, suggestions on things to talk about (assuming you are into any of this).
    - the Cardinals-baseball
    - the Blues-hockey,
    - the Zoo (its awesome, really)
    - St Louis Science Center
    - the Gateway Cycle (a four day/race bicycle festival)
    - Forest Park (huge park in the middle of town that runners love)
    - the FREE museums (lots of them)
    - city and federal courts in St Louis
    - Go! St Louis Marathon
    - could be getting a MLS expansion team (soccer)

Good luck, even if its just for practice.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@oshun1 said:
    Than> @"Leah M B" said:

Thank you I’ll message you if I end up having any qs after I research the school! I’m really not applying though, 2017 NALP shows 0 placements in CA, I just want interview practice.

I don't know that that necessarily means you can't get a job in CA. I imagine not a lot of people originally from CA go to WUSTL, so it's probably a lot of self selection involved. Their placement is really spread out over the US, and they have stats on the CA bar passage rate for every graduating year. That said, if you 100% plan to return to CA for work, it's of course probably better to stay in state. If for nothing else, the CA schools have dramatically higher bar passage rates for CA than most other schools. But, I stand by my general statement that WUSTL is a great school that is deserving of consideration. :) I mean, cost of living alone is soooo much less. 1 bedrooms for $700 right near the school! It's bonkers.