Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

applying to school

Ezlov180Ezlov180 Alum Member

I would like to apply to school in the fall and I'm taking the november test. I do feel like I would like to have a back up test because I believe I might not have given myself enough time to fully prepare for this test (with a full time job), but still studying hard daily. I can't take the January test because i will be out of the country. #help I know generally schools will hold applications for pending test scores, but how late is too late to apply to school? I already started drafting my essay and plan to have everything prepared to apply in dec/jan, however have a strong feeling i will want to take the test again, is the march test too late?

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited October 2018 1804 karma

I can't take the January test because i will be out of the country... how late is too late to apply to school? I... plan to have everything prepared to apply in dec/jan, however have a strong feeling i will want to take the test again, is the march test too late?

Check the schools you plan to apply to, as schools have different policies. However, March test generally is way too late -- so is the January administration. I would say anything past December 31st is too late. Ever thought about applying next year?

• Ezlov180Ezlov180 Alum Member
    16 karma

yes but I'm being stubborn lol. what do you mean the january administration? meaning the january test is late as well?

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@"erin.volz18" said:
    yes but I'm being stubborn lol. what do you mean the january administration? meaning the january test is late as well?

Yeah any test past November will be late. Submitting apps after Christmas is late. Schools often fill up their class by January. Although I’m not sure about 2nd and 3rd tier schools as I know many of them take applications up until the summer. I would call your target schools and ask.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited October 2018 1804 karma

what do you mean the january administration? meaning the january test is late as well?

Yes. I would say even the November administration is late.

• EAnn8771EAnn8771 Alum Member
    126 karma

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going to take the November test and if I don't like my score I will cancel it and take it again in March, but I will apply for the next cycle. By then all my materials will be ready for the late September/early October admissions opening. My main reason is the availability of scholarship funds; you get more scholarship consideration the earlier you apply, usually. For me its worth waiting another cycle if I get can more funds.

• Ezlov180Ezlov180 Alum Member
    16 karma

Very true, since I have created this post I have actually reached out to a couple schools and they did tell me they would hold my application for the march test so in case you are still undecided.

• Nathan FNathan F Member
    51 karma

All depends on where you wanna go. Low tier schools would wait until July because they are so hungry for students. If you are like me (T14 or Bust), then I would wait until the next cycle. That's my plan if I don't get a high score this weekend.