Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Applying this cycle vs. next

ilovethelsatilovethelsat Member
in General 348 karma

Hi! I'm trying to break a 170 for the November exam, but am currently stuck in the mid-160s. The November test will be my last chance at applying this cycle. I am currently a college senior and definitely planning on taking a year to work, whether I apply this cycle or next. What are the benefits of applying to law school this cycle and deferring for one year versus taking the LSAT at a later date (maybe January or later) and applying next cycle?

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Are you graduating in December or May? If you graduate in May and plan to take a year to work then you should try to reach your target score and apply as early in next year's cycle as possible. If you apply this cycle you would be applying for open seats in schools that begin in August. Even December-August isn't very much time to land a job and get situated. If you are able to reach your target score in November you could apply some time in mid December and I'm sure you will have some very favorable offers on the table to consider, but applying day 1 of next cycle with a target LSAT score, perfect essay, and some work experience (better resume) would be the most ideal way to play the admissions game.

• ilovethelsatilovethelsat Member
    348 karma

@drbrown2 Thanks for the advice! I'm graduating in May.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

@ilovethelsat I totally missed the part where you said you will defer for one year. I think there is almost no upside to rushing. Just make sure to take the LSAT when you are ready, with enough time for a retake so there is no pressure. Get your LORs, PS, and Why X essays together and apply day 1 next year. That sort of planning and optimization is what will set you apart even further from most of the rest of the top 2% LSAT scorers.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Not every school will let you defer so it’s not a good idea to apply with the intention of deferring

348 karma

@oshun1 yeah I didn't really consider that, good point

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

A lot of schools will only allow deferrals for extenuating circumstances. Like, you have a new opportunity that came up (Rhodes, Fulbright, new job offer). But many won't let you defer arbitrarily. There's no upside at all to rushing and applying now with a lower LSAT. If you aren't ready to take the LSAT, I'd even advise you to withdraw from it. Keep studying and take it later when you're ready. You'll be much better off waiting to apply until you have the best application possible.

348 karma

@"Leah M B" yeah that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your advice!

348 karma

It's worth noting I have a 3.9 GPA from a top school in the country (like top 10), really strong extracurriculars and 4/5 really strong recommenders. So it might be just smarter to not ruin my chances at a really good law school by rushing the LSAT and getting a low score...and this would be my first time taking the LSAT, have never taken it before.

• Harvey_lHarvey_l Alum Member
    268 karma

Go for it, go for a higher score on the LSAT, it'll pay off in the long run and get you into that LS of your dreams :D

plus, once you receive the score you want you can end up traveling or doing something else!! (Like working :O )

348 karma

@Harvey_l You're totally right!