Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is a PS a place for Accomplishments (Academic or Otherwise)?

When I began formulating my personal essays/statement, I tried to focus on providing an interesting narrative that I thought helped to explain how different specific events have lead me to a way of approaching the idea of the law. I've tried to maintain a narrative form, rather than going all-out abstract essay.

However, I was recently reviewing some personal statements online, and I noticed that a number of people made note of their academic achievements. For instance, UofT, arguably Canada's #1 law school, provides this online document for prospective applicants: https://www.law.utoronto.ca/documents/JD/UofT_Law_Personal_Statements_Examples.pdf

What have other people's experience been with this? Is it best to "slip" these in? Gotta say, when I've tried to work them in so far, I kinda feel like a prig.

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

For clarity, are you only applying to Canadian schools? I think this answer may be different for schools in the US vs. Canada.

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    edited October 2018 1032 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    For clarity, are you only applying to Canadian schools? I think this answer may be different for schools in the US vs. Canada.

Nice catch! Yes, only Canadian schools.

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7272 karma

Canadian law schools tend to prefer something much closer to a traditional cover letter, so it's okay to tell a narrative that's largely a game of connect the dots with your accomplishments.

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

Thanks @"David.Busis" and @"Leah M B" !

Must say, considering that I haven't written a nice personal narrative piece in a long time, this is kinda disappointing. Oh well, just keep playing the game. :smile: