Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Areas of Interest

Hi all,

I was wondering if it's really important to indicate areas of interest on the application. I am torn between two, I know it will definitely change in law school. So is it better to check the "I am not sure" box or just choose one of the two?

Thank you!!

Comments

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

FWIW, I checked off areas of interest (a lot of them). I did notice some schools tailor responses to my specific ones. I think everyone understands things change and they are not going to review the application with you at graduation. It just helps shape a picture of “you” to the schools. YMMV and good luck!

• Beast ModeBeast Mode Live Member
    842 karma

Thank you, I appreciate it. @LSAT_Wrecker

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I think it’s mostly for the purpose of advertising. As in, if you get accepted they could have a student in the technology & law club email you. Or they could write in your acceptance letter like PS we have a great corporate program!!

edited December 2018 842 karma

Thank you @oshun1 I appreciate it!! That makes a lot of sense!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yeah agreed with the others. It’s more so they can target you with what you are interested in. At WashU’s admitted student weekend (which was super well done), they sent everyone individualized schedules. I figured out later that they had tailored it to the interests we put on our application, which was a really nice touch. Since I had checked government, I had a small group session with a prof that is an expert in administrative law and the other people in that group were also all interested in similar things. And some larger breakout sessions re: clinics and clerkships, which I had also mentioned. Very impressive to tailor it for everyone. So yeah, feel free to check what your interests are! It just gives the schools more info on how to try to win you over, basically.

842 karma

@"Leah M B" Thank you so much for sharing!! I really appreciate your input. Yes, I like that they tailor it to the interests we put on our applications. It makes it more special and very impressive as you indicated.