Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where to go

haydenbairdhaydenbaird Alum Member

Hey all,

On my previous LSAT I did pretty well but not exactly what I wanted. Nonetheless, I have been accepted to UT Austin at sticker price and wait listed at Vanderbilt. on top of that, I received really big sums of money to go to Pepperdine and SMU. In the long run, is the sticker price at UT worth it? I have noticed that schools like SMU have private starting salaries that are still very impressive. I am also predominately interested in sports and entertainment law, which makes Pepperdine an interesting choice for almost free tuition. Would love to hear some advice!

Comments

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

I’m in a similar position. So much of it depends on your financial abilities, debt comfort, where you want to practice afterwards, need for prestige, etc. The advice to you may be be very different to another person with the same exact choices. That being said, I would vote for Pepperdine. You got big ties to sports and entertainment law, the beach, and almost free tuition. Sounds like a tough pass up.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8700 karma

Can you tell us a bit about you as an applicant? GPA/LSAT score, are you OOS for Texas? Thank you!

• haydenbairdhaydenbaird Alum Member
    57 karma

@BinghamtonDave Yes, i'm OOS everywhere I applied. 3.84 GPA with a 165 LSAT.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Setting aside the cost of law school, you should also think about where geographically you want to practice and where the schools in question have historically placed their graduates (state of bar passage, types of law firms, etc.). You can look up each school's historical employment data at http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/Disclosure509.aspx. Past isn’t future and there is nothing stopping you for making your own opportunities and forging your own path, but you may have to do so without as much networking help or institutional resources. Ask yourself if you are ready to do that. If you haven't done so already call the admissions offices and ask to speak with alumni and current students about their experiences. Good luck!