Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heartbroken and Torn

miriruchertmiriruchert Alum Member
edited January 2015 in General 180 karma
Hi everyone.
I am so down because I practiced so hard and I scored nearly my initial diagnostic in the December LSAT. Initial diagnostic was a 154 and my LSAT score is 157. I was practicing at 164 average with 167 top score and blind reviewed in the 170s in the end. I knew i could keep going to get better to solidify but really wanted to get it out of the way since I have been studying 1.5 years on and off. I have 4 kids and I feel if I retake I might end up running out of time again. Taking very few full timed practice tests and finishing sections when I had gotten the kids snacks thinking to myself 'the time it took to pay attention to them I will just add to the end and it comes out as if I had cut off at 35 minutes.' was not working. I know I am t14 material with a 3.96 GPA and the capability to score 168 if I just can hurry up/prepare more focused. I don't know if I will ever have the chance. I don't want to schedule a retake and then just be crushed again. I used to be so bad on logic games and i actually thought the rug game was not that hard, was so proud. I actually only got 7 wrong on Logic Games which is great for me. I would score 165 and get 10 wrong on Logic Games. I am really really sad seeing my chances at Berkeley or Stanford slip away and having to settle for Santa Clara. What should I do?

Comments

• Wombat15Wombat15 Member
    edited January 2015 67 karma
    I'm sorry you didn't get the score you wanted in December. A 3.96 is a phenomenal GPA and if you got a higher LSAT score, then you'd definitely be in the running to get into Cal or Stanford. The good news for you is that LSAT is a very learnable test and if you take the time to not only learn the material but be able to understand it and apply it forward and backward with ease, then you would definitely see gains. Whether it was nerves that got you on test day or not, your score range indicates that your foundational skills could still use some work before you can confidently attain a score that is competitive for your choice schools. The LSAT is composed of material that compounds off each other, and if your fundamental skills in logic are shaky, then many of the problems you encounter on the test will be more difficult to analyze and solve rapidly than it would be if you understood the material completely. If you can go through your study materials and understand it 100%, as well as try new strategies, you can be certain that you'll see familiar problem solving methods in a new way that will help you improve your understanding of the LSAT, and subsequently your score. If you feel like you want to retake it in February, or even better wait a year and re-take the LSAT in June or October, then you will definitely be in a better place to get a score that you want.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    Don't worry... there is light at the end of the tunnel.. my 167 came after more than a couple of years of work... if you work hard, every LSAT story has a happy ending... go for June!!! And get your games down to -0/-1/-2. Its very possible... and you'll need it for Stanford ;) Best of luck.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    This isn't really a test to have sitting on a bench with something else that is equal priority... it needs to be by itself and up front. You need to be sure you have time to really sit down and prep properly. Clearly you have some potential but a score received with the lack of proper restrictions and such. Taking some here and there, taking a break in a section to take care of something... things you can't do on test day so doing them before hand without no strict PTs and prep will not get you ready for this thing. There are plenty of older students that take this so IMO thats not something you should be too worried about. If you really want to do this, set aside the time and get in the mindset and get prepping
  • miriruchertmiriruchert Alum Member
    180 karma
    Thanks everyone. I am back after a time-out. Most likely I will keep going and re-take in October. Thanks again for all your encouraging words. It meant a lot to me!! You are an awesome group of people I am proud to be part of.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @jdawg113 makin' me grateful that I'm nearing 30 and very, very single—no one depends on me or notices when I disappear into LSATs for many uninterrupted hours—with a job that never requires evening or weekend work.

I can only imagine going through this with four littles. Godspeed, @miriruchert —sounds like October will give you more time to figure this in the face of some tough decisions. I would be very proud of my mother if she tackled the LSAT with 4 kids. You'll be setting a very good example for them, even if you are extra busy for a time.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    lol @nicole.hopkins "very, very" #LSATismySO
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    Wait, you're scoring in the mid-160s with -7 in LG? You DEFINITELY should retake the test, assuming you have the time for it! Sure, you may be disappointed with your retake score, but I can't imagine it would be any easier moving on with a score you know is nowhere near what it should and could be. I'm sure you've read/heard this before, but the logic games section is the easiest to master, as it's more rule based. To me, it's a no-brainer, but I can't even come to close to imagining a life with four kids. From what you've indicated, you would be well off to focus on taking full tests and practicing LG sections, with everything else given only moderate focus.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Get LG down to -2 or less and then drill those LR question types that are giving you a hard time.
  • miriruchertmiriruchert Alum Member
    180 karma
    Thank You! You made my day today :-) you are sweet sweet people!!
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 2424 karma