Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice

harrismeganharrismegan Member
edited January 2015 in General 2074 karma
Hellooooo. I need some advice.
Sadly, I did not do well on the LSAT this December. I got a 155. I started studying in May, but I didn't start with 7Sage and I had zero idea what I was doing or the best method to study. I found 7Sage in August, but I took a trip to England at the end of August, so I didn't really start studying for real until September. Needless to say, I only really started improving towards the end, so I think I started improving when it was too late. I took the test anyways and decided not to cancel.

I don't think I'll get in for this cycle. But I'm looking at my options. I live in Canada.
My GPA isn't the best. I struggled in my first two years with what I wanted to do with my life, so I went the Science route and took some pretty tough courses. I thought I wanted to go into Medicine. Regardless, it's around a 3.58 for the U of A (they take your last 20 courses and + if it cuts a year in half) and about a 3.3/3.4 for U of BC and U of Vic. I can take courses additional to my degree, but doing so would mean I was working full time, taking courses, studying for the LSAT, ect.

My Mom and I both think that trying to achieve the best possible LSAT score would be better than trying to increase my GPA. Just because I would have to get really great marks AND studying for the LSAT at the same time. What do you guys think?

People can be admitted at the schools of my choice with the GPA that I indicated, although it's not the best. I know I have LSAT potential, but I'm scared of "putting all my eggs in one basket" and writing the LSAT next June or next October to get no further ahead and to regret not taking additional courses.

Addditionally, I thought that if I brought a stronger application that might help. I am going to be teaching people in my community english once a week and my sister and I are going to go to Italy to teach children english next October (after the LSAT).

What do you think I should do? Thanks :)

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I vote LSAT. When you think about the way this process is regarded is you have ur GPA, so kick ass at the LSAT, retake, yada yada but how often do you hear well go back to school for some classes and raise ur GPA? you dont(or I dont lol) its a lot of money to go back to school for a few classes and it would have to be classes you know you will get an A(+) in order to give a decent gpa boost, and enough classes to give a boost that will matter... plus the chance of something happening and not doing good in the classes and either hurt urself or do nothing different(for a decent amount of $ too) then admins can also see what you did so if they are gpa booster classes they could see that.
    tl;dr IMO go ahead and keep studying, work hard, get a 170! (170,3.58>164,3.70)

http://www.hourumd.com/?lsat=170&gpa=3.58&money=yes&urm=no&waitlist=no&range=yes

http://www.hourumd.com/?lsat=165&gpa=3.70&money=yes&urm=no&waitlist=no&range=yes

ultimately the choice is urs
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    Thanks. I thought I should've went the LSAT route, but I think I needed confirmation. :)
    2074 karma
    @jdawg113, is there a site for Canadian schools? Do you know?
  • Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    810 karma
    In case it helps, folks on lawstudents.ca believe that these are the admissions formulas used at UBC and UVic:

UVic: (GPA*125) + (5*LSAT percentile).
    930 = automatic admission

UBC: (0.2678*GPA in percentage) + (0.1986*scaled LSAT score) + 36.5952.
    91.5 = automatic admission

So, using your current stats:
    UVic: (3.4*125) + (5*63.80) = 744
    *UBC: (0.2678*75) + (0.1986*155) + 36.5952 = 87.46
    *(note that you need to calculate your percentage grade by grade, so this is an estimate only!)

No clue about U of A, though!
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    tried a quick look and didnt really see anything, I would think Canada's LSAC or whatever it is would have one but couldnt say. You can also probably look on TLS admissions forum and look for threads for schools youre looking into and see the charts put up and see the ranges for people accepted on that
    2074 karma
    Ok :) thanks guys.