Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scored one point lower in July than March- cancel?

KatasticKatastic Alum Member
edited September 2019 in General 190 karma

Hey y'all.
I scored a 155 in March and in July I scored a 154.
I plan to retake in November or January and apply this cycle at University of Kansas, University of Missouri - Kansas City and Washburn University.
I wasn't going to cancel my score, as I thought a one point deviation would raise less suspicion/doubt than a cancellation.
Thoughts?
I appreciate any insight you all have.
Kat

Comments

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    edited September 2019 917 karma

I probably wouldn't cancel since its only 1 point less. I'd be worried that schools will think I canceled a 140 or something

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

I actually think cancelling makes sense, unless the $200 LSAT cost isn’t a hardship. Admissions officers are used to seeing a cancellation on an applicant’s record, and are expecting them with the uniqueness of the July exam. The higher score matters and the lower one won’t be considered. If you study hard and utilize the free retake you would improve your scholarship opportunities with a score increase.

• maxbbarb7maxbbarb7 Alum Member
    182 karma

Cancelling does not look bad, especially with the July test. No point in keeping the July score if it was not your best one. You should get the Free test

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

I had the same score as my June take and still cancelled. It won’t look bad. From what I understand, a single cancel is pretty common.

• KatasticKatastic Alum Member
    190 karma

@cooljon525 said:
    I probably wouldn't cancel since its only 1 point less. I'd be worried that schools will think I canceled a 140 or something

Thanks so much. I appreciate you responding. 😊 That's kind of what I was thinking but it sounds like others are on the other side!!

190 karma

@drbrown2 said:
    I actually think cancelling makes sense, unless the $200 LSAT cost isn’t a hardship. Admissions officers are used to seeing a cancellation on an applicant’s record, and are expecting them with the uniqueness of the July exam. The higher score matters and the lower one won’t be considered. If you study hard and utilize the free retake you would improve your scholarship opportunities with a score increase.

Good point. Yes, I'm actually already admitted to KU for next fall's class (I applied this last cycle and was waitlisted but offered a spot in the class entering in 2020) so my LSAT retakes are all for financial aid purposes at this point. I'm not too worried about the free retake although it is a nice perk. More worried about the strength of my application.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond!!

190 karma

@maxbbarb7 said:
    Cancelling does not look bad, especially with the July test. No point in keeping the July score if it was not your best one. You should get the Free test

I appreciate your insight! Thank you!!

190 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:
    I had the same score as my June take and still cancelled. It won’t look bad. From what I understand, a single cancel is pretty common.

Really!? Well I'm happy you performed as well as in June, and I feel you on any frustrations you experienced... I thought I would at least pick up a point or two just from having gone through the process and being less nervous. Oh well.

• Ozzy SheikhOzzy Sheikh Member
    edited September 2019 115 karma

Since it's only for financial aid purposes, meaning for $. Cancel is probably a better option. You will most likely have the opportunity to tell them you were 1 point lower and you wanted to save the $200 when you're negotiating financial aid. They don't expect you to dip too low or would even consider the 154 vs a cancel for financial aid purposes. Even if they see a 154 they could be wondering "why didn't she cancel? She could've saved $200." Use the free retake to save $200 for one more test if you really have the time to keep studying. $200 is still $200. Hope my input helps :)

190 karma

@"Ozzy Sheikh" said:
    Since it's only for financial aid purposes, meaning for $. Cancel is probably a better option. You will most likely have the opportunity to tell them you were 1 point lower and you wanted to save the $200 when you're negotiating financial aid. They don't expect you to dip too low or would even consider the 154 vs a cancel for financial aid purposes. Even if they see a 154 they could be wondering "why didn't she cancel? She could've saved $200." Use the free retake to save $200 for one more test if you really have the time to keep studying. $200 is still $200. Hope my input helps :)

Thank you so much I really appreciate it!

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@Katastic said:

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:

Really!? Well I'm happy you performed as well as in June, and I feel you on any frustrations you experienced... I thought I would at least pick up a point or two just from having gone through the process and being less nervous. Oh well.

haha yes one would think. Pretty confident this time around though! I wasn't expecting too much too happen in the month between June and July.