Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR Help

Hey y'all. So I'm currently scoring an average of -4 on each LR section. I feel like my wrong answers are all over the place (some are incorrect for misreading while others for not understanding stimulus or letting an answer choice trick me). I have been dedicated to studying and I have not seen improvement. Idk what to do. Ive been doing blind review and going over all the incorrect questions. ANY Suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• DivineRazeDivineRaze Alum Member
    550 karma

@PrincessConsuela Is there a certain question type that you keep getting wrong or are they all scattered?

• PrincessConsuelaPrincessConsuela Alum Member
    47 karma

@DivineRaze I tend to get NA questions wrongs, but besides that they are all over the place

• DivineRazeDivineRaze Alum Member
    550 karma

@PrincessConsuela Sounds to me that you still have some room for perfecting LR. In a convoluted stimulus someone can get lost easily. What I do in that scenario is kind of work backwards. I would find the conclusion(s) and THEN see how and if its supported. That help me out when I don't understand. I also kind of talk to myself and simplify the stimulus into my own words. The writers will say like : "The red ball, which is round, and has a smooth surface, hit the backboard." But all you really need to know is that the red ball hit the backboard. They do it a lot of it trips people up. For NA I just find the answer choice that HAS to be true if the conclusion is true. As far as for misreading, there is not really much you can do but pay more attention. After you do many LR sections you start automatically paying attention to the words that mean something and the ones that don't. For example, when I begin reading the stimulus and come across "usually", "tend to" or the quantifiers like some or most I already know that these are generally important because the incorrect answer choices usually play on them to try and trick you obviously. You have to know if you're dealing with question types that you need concrete answers for or ones that are provable. You have to know what you're looking for so the incorrect answers wont mess you up. When I finish reading a stimulus and have some type of idea of what i'm looking for depending on whether its an argument or just premises, I can knock out more than half the answers by just the first two words alone. I hope this helps somewhat, if i missed something or need clarification let me know! Good Luck!!

• EveryCookCanGovernEveryCookCanGovern Alum Member
    401 karma

If you find that the questions you're getting wrong, are ones you get right on BR, it might be a matter of timing strategy. Do you have a system you use to skip around?

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

it really depends. If you can get -0 during BR or -1 I think its fine. I mean -0 is pretty unrealistic for a regular timed LR section. You will miss some. But if your understanding is there then it will just come with more and more practice

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

Hi Princess Consuela
    Just saying hi because we are the same person.

• EddieMEddieM Alum Member
    279 karma

You mentioned that necessary assumption questions are hard for you. Make sure to try using the negation test:
    Imagine how the argument would go if the answer choice were untrue. If the answer's being untrue would make the argument incorrect, it is necessary. If it being untrue would leave the argument stupid-looking but still possibly true, it is NOT a necessary assumption.