Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone improved 15+ scores in 16 weeks? [Need a 165-166 for UBC LAW]

LegallyBrunette21LegallyBrunette21 Yearly Member
in General 500 karma

Hi everyone,

I am just deciding when to write the LSAT again, and I do have the opportunity to study full-time from the second week of April until August 29th, but I am just concerned that this is not enough time for me and I will have to rewrite again. Having to rewrite scares me since I still have a few courses left to graduate for the 2020/2021 academic year. I can register for only one course for my first term next year to give myself enough time for applications and rewrite, but theres this fear that I will burn out and not be able to focus on school, the LSAT, and applications at the same time. For me applying next September will be ideal because the few courses remaining for me are very difficult and are likely to lower my GPA and if I apply in September, most Canadian schools will not take those remaining courses into account to give me an offer.

I wrote the July 2019 exam and got a 150 which I cancelled. I studied full-time for two and a half before the exam, mostly going through the CC and I only had the chance to complete 2 PTs before the exam. My diagnostic was a 137, so I already improved 13 points, but, I have not the chance to look at the LSAT since October 2019. Do you have a study schedule that you followed to improve at least 15 points? I need at least a165 for my top school (UBC Law).

The other option would be for me to do summer school and wrap up my courses by December 2020 and then study 6-7 months for the LSAT. However, I would have to delay a cycle and start law school at 24 instead of 23 which I am not very fond of.

I would really appreciate it if you can share some of your study strategies and opinion on when I should write the LSAT. I know that I have a long road ahead of me, but I am willing to work hard to not go to a different school. Also, I would love to talk to someone who is currently studying at Allard Hall.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

4 months isnt a bad amount of time. I think you can do it. Is this full time studying?

• LegallyBrunette21LegallyBrunette21 Yearly Member
    500 karma

Yes, the only other commitments I would have are my extracurricular activities which add up to around 11 hours a week. I think I can put in 40 hours per week, 6-7 hours per day.

• You can do it. I have improved steadily since incorporating some of the study habits of friends that wrote the MCAT and JY's podcast guests.

Schedule out your studying:
    It will be easier to get in long hours if you know what you need to be doing

Take breaks:
    Good studying for 2 hours is better than bad studying for 3. Take a break at a set time, or just when you feel a little gassed going through a CC or BR. You don't want to practice being sloppy. The caveat there is that if you feel gassed 30 minutes in, you likely need to work up to a point where you can safely study the LSAT in 105-minute and 70-minute blocks. You need to be able to do that on test day!

Make time for mindfulness:
    JY's CC stuff on mindfulness is fantastic. It will go a long way in helping you with the grind. Mindfulness, like anything else you learn in studying for the LSAT, is a tool. Once you've got the hang of it, being at ease while under pressure will become second nature.

You can do it. You can do it. You can do it. :smile:

• harsimran1324harsimran1324 Member
    11 karma

I took the October 2019 Lsat and scored a 157. I was devastated. I retook the Jan 2020 and scored a 170. My best friend had also passed away just 1.5 weeks before the exam and I had essentially stopped studying. So yeah, I think it is definitely possible. Good luck :-)