Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worried about number of timed PT total and per week

edited March 2020 in General 540 karma

Hi there,

I spent end of 2018 + most of 2019 going through Powerscore, Manhattan, and other LSAT books. I got into 7Sage toward the end of 2019 with the Ultimate subscription, and I recently finished the core curriculum with all of the practice sets. Previous to 7Sage, I probably took about 10 PTs untimed and timed.

A while back, I remember taking a diagnostic, which was around 158 timed (170 BR). My target score for the LSAT is 170 - 175. I just took the June 2007 LSAT to see how much I improved from my previous score, prior to 7Sage core-curriculum. Mainly just seeing if the BR score jumps up.

But I am pretty worried about my progression... I have been watching webinars and listening to 7Sage podcasts to hear that, many of the sages took 30 - 40 timed PTs prior to maxing out their scores.

If I use that as a benchmark, with 1 PT per week, I won't get there until September - November of 2020. That puts me around the October 2020 LSAT to aim for. But is that too late?

Right now, it looks like I spend about 20 - 25 hours per week, with timed PT on Saturday and Monday - Thursday dedicated for BR, MM, and FP. Friday is dedicated to look at archived problems that I had trouble with. I know it may be silly to focus on the total number of timed PTs, but should I change my current approach somehow to fit in more than 1 PT per week?

Thank you!

Comments

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

Hmm, quite impossible to say without any empirical data right? I mean how can you begin speculating about how many PT's you think you'll need without knowing where you currently are in your studies. Regardless, I think the number is not the same for everyone, iv'e spoken to people starting in the 150's and ultimately scoring in the 170's with only taking about 10 PT's. Likewise, as you mentioned, for others it's taken 30-40. My point is that I don't think its a one size fits all, so before you start worrying make sure its warranted; take a PT and see where you stand, then plan accordingly.

Good luck!

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

I think its different for everyone. Ive been on a slow progression and im 60 PTs in lol and still going up slowly somehow xD

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    edited March 2020 1058 karma

-

• edited March 2020 540 karma

Just finished BR'ing the June 2007 LSAT. Timed score = 160 and BR score = 170. BR score would have been 174 had I not screwed up the BR for LG section. Not sure why that happened... I need to bring the BR score much higher. But at least the timed score has improved!

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

I would strongly recommend focusing on improvement rather than the number of PTs you are doing. Additionally, I would strongly recommend taking individual timed sections to work on section/question strategy. A good rule of thumb is to not take a new PT unless you have improved in some way since your last. Your concern should be with running out of new material before you have made the improvement you seek - not that you get to an arbitrary number of PTs.