Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trying to figure out if I will enjoy being a lawyer

(This is long. Thanks for bearing with me. Otherwise, TL;DR is at the bottom.)

Through elementary and middle school, I knew I wanted to be a lawyer. When I was confirmed, I chose Thomas as my "confirmation name," after St. Thomas More, the patron saint of lawyers. Whenever I was asked, I always said that's what I wanted to do, mostly because I enjoyed logic, and dissecting arguments.

By the time I got to high school, I had steered away from that dream, simply because I was told that "doctors and lawyers" were the types of people that got consistently high grades and, well... I didn't.

In college, I tried my hand at a few different programs, but never really found "my calling." I tried aviation, and computer science (both of which I enjoyed, but weren't "my thing"). I ended up settling on a degree in Secondary Education, with a focus on English, because teaching and English were things I was naturally good at, and I needed to get out of school sooner or later. I sailed through those classes without much trouble and graduated with a 3.0 GPA.

I've since found that teaching isn't "my thing" either, and I've been doing technical support, in one form or another, for going on 10 years now. Again, it's something that I have a natural aptitude for, but not something I'm necessarily passionate about.

I settled down, got married, had some kids, and spent some time wondering whether this is what I was meant to do. And then, I found you all.

I feel like I've found my people.

I'm... excited to study? What?

I am legitimately looking forward to the time when I get off work, put my kids to bed, and get to my computer to listen to JY teach me things at chipmunk speed.

I learn. I take quizzes. I fail — and thoroughly enjoy the process. I've never been this excited to learn about something in my life.

But, here's the thing:

I don't really know what it's like to be a lawyer.

And actually, I don't even know what it's like to be in law school, or how the process of studying for the LSAT compares.

I want to believe that I will enjoy it—that this will be "my thing." But I've been watching these videos about how so many lawyers get through this whole process, where they crush the LSAT and get into a great law school and do awesome in school and then they get out and... they just wind up hating it. And that scares me.

I don't plan to go to into big law, or even "medium" law (is that a thing?). I'm not sure I will ever live in a city with more than 150,000 people. When I become a lawyer, it will probably be in a small firm with a few other people and a wide focus — at least, that's what it seems like to me.

So, here's the TL;DR: How did you know you wanted to be a lawyer? I am pretty sure I was made for this. But, the number of lawyers who hate their jobs is daunting, and I don't want to get into this only to find out that it's just "another thing" that I tried and decided wasn't for me.

Comments

• 256 karma

Find your WHY brah

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    edited April 2020 990 karma

The best way to know what lawyers do is either talk to one (they mostly tell you not to be one but rake in big bucks - go figure) or work alongside one. I have been an Attorney’s Assistant for over five years I know the ins and out of law field. It’s either you love it or hate it. I don’t think watching law shows gives you a depiction of the real deal. I tried my hand working at a different agency but I missed working in the law field and regressed back. I love it!

I currently work for the Attorney General’s office and enjoy what I do because I help defend the people of my state. It’s awesome to digest a case and find weaknesses or strengths of our cases. I am tired of being the second guy and want to now be the top guy.

Do you have time to maybe do an internship at a law firm? It might be a good idea to see what you are getting into. Or maybe you’re one of those freaks that just enjoy studying for this test and end up being a tutor, lol.

• 99thPercentileOrDieTryin99thPercentileOrDieTryin Free Trial Member
    652 karma

My significant other is an Assistant District Attorney and she loves practicing law. She graduated from Berkeley in 2014 and started out as an associate at a big firm but didn't care for that lifestyle. Her current gig suits her better and she is able to directly impact people's lives as a domestic violence prosecutor. Through her I have become friends with dozens of attorneys in my area: most who like what they do and some who don't.

What I've found is that law is such a varied field that your satisfaction with it largely will depend on your own criteria. i.e. what will it look like for you to be a successful, happy lawyer?

As for me, I like the idea of affecting justice in a meaningful way but I also enjoy a mentally challenging task of any sort so, a person like me may fall in love with contracts or property law. I'll be in a better position to tell you this time next year.

• @JDream2020 said:
    Do you have time to maybe do an internship at a law firm? It might be a good idea to see what you are getting into.

This is a great thought. I had reached out to one firm in my area to see about doing just a few days' worth of job shadowing, to see if I could get a general feel for what a day on the job felt like for these people — that was the day before businesses started shutting down due to Coronavirus. As you can imagine, I haven't heard back yet.

Or maybe you’re one of those freaks that just enjoy studying for this test and end up being a tutor, lol.

That is a distinct possibility. I don't know if I would make a career out of it, but I suppose anything is possible at this point.

Thanks so much for your answer. I appreciate your perspective and your insight.

• sillyscorpionssillyscorpions Alum Member
    edited April 2020 47 karma

Hey! I hope this helps!

Well, for a long time I was determined to be a police officer. The person I looked up to most was a cop, and I was determined to have a direct impact on people in our system. Then I took a job as a police cadet, 40hrs/week, great benefits and pay and all while still in undergrad. I wasn't happy, but didn't even realize how unhappy I was until I participated in my Uni's justice clinic, where we aided the public defenders office in our city.

I realized how much I hated being a cadet, uncovered some buried distaste for the law enforcement in my town in general (lol), and discovered that I LOVED genuinely helping people. From doing on the spot research for a defense attorney seconds before a case was called, to helping a mother pick up clothing for her son to wear home from his release. Even just tutoring people in Motor vehicle regulations and how it effects them in court felt GOOD. I was extremely happy, just helping out in a small way.

I think it's important for you to determine what your base needs are in a career. For me, it's being genuinely able to help someone in need.

Once you figure out what you NEED in a career, it's easier to figure out what careers could work for you.

• edited April 2020 54 karma

@99thPercentileOrDieTryin said:
    What I've found is that law is such a varied field that your satisfaction with it largely will depend on your own criteria. i.e. what will it look like for you to be a successful, happy lawyer?

This is a great perspective, and one that I will keep in mind. Definitely something I need to figure out — not just to become a lawyer, but in general.

As for me, I like the idea of affecting justice in a meaningful way but I also enjoy a mentally challenging task of any sort so, a person like me may fall in love with contracts or property law. I'll be in a better position to tell you this time next year.

That sounds great! I'll keep an eye out for an update at that time. :smile:

Thank you!

• @sillyscorpions said:
    I realized how much I hated being a cadet, uncovered some buried distaste for the law enforcement in my town in general (lol), and discovered that I LOVED genuinely helping people. From doing on the spot research for a defense attorney seconds before a case was called, to helping a mother pick up clothing for her son to wear home from his release. Even just tutoring people in Motor vehicle regulations and how it effects them in court felt GOOD. I was extremely happy, just helping out in a small way.

I think it's important for you to determine what your base needs are in a career. For me, it's being genuinely able to help someone in need.

Once you figure out what you NEED in a career, it's easier to figure out what careers could work for you.

This is such good advice. I need to figure out how to put it into my life practically.

I know I enjoy being an expert in my field, and being able to use that expertise practically. I've seen that play out in everything I've done since college.

I also spend every day helping people, and definitely enjoy that aspect of it, though not so much in its current form. I am sure that will be part of my final answer, once I get it figured out.

Thanks for taking the time to write this thoughtful reply!

• youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
    edited April 2020 1755 karma

-

-

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@username_hello said:
    @BetterLateThanNever im pretty sure u Can find ppl who dislike their jobs in almost any profession. There are unhappy teachers,lawyers, doctors, engineers, etc. no profession is perfect.

Yes you can, but, on average, the job dissatisfaction for lawyers is higher than those other careers.

-

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@username_hello said:
    @10000019

Fair point but from what I hear, the unique nature of the legal profession plays a major role in accounting for this situation. Law school is different than medical school in that almost all graduates from med school find jobs as doctors; the same can’t be true of law school graduates.

If you aren't going to be a practicing attorney, you shouldn't spend the time becoming one.

Also, for lawyers, it seems the case that there are way tooo many lawyers, and too few legal positions (again, the opposite situation with doctors). And within the legal field, there’s often a major disparity in the career outcomes of the graduates of the top 20 and the other 120 law schools that may account for why it may appear there may be so many unhappy lawyers.

That's another reason why many prospective applicants should reconsider going to law school.

I’m not saying all T14 grad lawyers are happy. But I may very well bet money that if you do a survey of all Yale Law School graduates, their happiness/satisfaction levels of being a lawyer and attending law school would be relatively much higher than the average for all lawyers.

You're talking about a super minority. Since the OP didn't mention an offer from YLS, why focus on them?

Some lottery players become millionaires. Doesn't mean it's smart to play the lottery.

-

• LanceB02LanceB02 Alum Member
    edited April 2020 55 karma

You’re not alone and this is a great question that I wrestle with every day. I’m 31, have a wife and two kids, and have had a great career as an Officer in the Army with benefits to make sure my family is taken care of. I’m on the “up and up” so to speak within my field, so I’m hesitant to walk of away from a career, especially now being 10 years away from a 20 year retirement and getting a pension the rest of my life. I’ve always wanted to serve but the job continues to get less fun as I look toward becoming a Major and positions beyond.

I think studying law could re-energize my passions which have basically leveled-out at this point. I think anyone could find purpose as a lawyer. I do enjoy serving in the Army, however, the hours I’m putting in and the instability of moving every few years really sucks. Plus, I could go for free using the G.I. Bill. I had a 3.78 GPA in college but this damn LSAT is a tough nut to crack. I think if I could score in the high 160s it might make the jump worth it. But working 60 plus hours a week makes studying near impossible with a family. Trying to eclipse 150 has been tough sledding..

I totally get it. You want to do it for the right reasons but it can be hard to know unless you’re actually doing the job yourself. I do believe ou’ll always have apathetic, whiners that hate being a lawyer as I see those same people in the Army. But that is more reflective of them vice what the actual job satisfaction may bring. I’m sure there are astronauts that hate being astronauts. If you get some good advice just let me know because I’d also love to hear it. Good luck!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Speaking as someone living in a rural area, yeah.. if you're going to survive, you have to do it all. Town attorneys also work in other areas: defense, contracts, family law... everything really. It's how you survive. Smaller population, so fewer clients. Beggars cant be choosers, I suppose. But they all seem to do rather well.

Now.. to the question posed by the OP.
    "Why?" Like you, I had always had this draw towards law and logical arguments, philosophy and ethics. Some mentors in my life nudged me towards law, and I always brushed it off. Not so much because of grades, like your situation. I was a great student, but because people of my class and sex didn't go on to become doctors and lawyers. And so I lived a more "appropriate" life, and it just wasn't right. I couldn't do enough to make it right that I gave up what I had wanted and was living a life that was expected of me instead. I went back to school to get my BA and a friend who was a lawyer told me about the scholarship opportunities available that he used foir law school, and it changed everything for me. I had always assumed it would be out of my reach, financially. I did not come from money. So I researched. I talked to lawyers everywhere around me. I sat in during court cases just to watch what the day-to-day looked like. I wound up siting for jury duty and seeing that side (I still wonder if it's because I visited the court so often LOL). It was not a fun case, and it was emotionally draining. But the experience just made me even more interested in it all rather than less.
    If, for some reason, I get through it and find out I hate it... I'll have a graduate degree. There's a number of doors that open just with a higher level degree. I have a full-ride offer, so I'm essentially getting a grad degree for free and just have to cover living expenses. But I doubt I will hate it. And there's literally no downside to this for me, so why not go for it?

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited April 2020 2689 karma

@LanceB02 said:
    I had a 3.78 GPA in college but this damn LSAT is a tough nut to crack. I think if I could score in the high 160s it might make the jump worth it. But working 60 plus hours a week makes studying near impossible with a family. Trying to eclipse 150 has been tough sledding..

I work and have a family to handle, plus rural living demands (fence mending, wood cutting and stacking, driving long distances for groceries and doctors, etc). I started my LSAT study while I was taking very heavy semester loads for my BA, too. In total, my LSAT journey took ~1.5 years, and I went from very low 150's to low-mid 160's (I probably could have gone higher, but I was happy with where that score got me and didn't want to wait another cycle).
    It sucks, but for those of us with obligations, it just takes longer. And that's okay. Trust me when I say my results were 1,000% worth the time I spent. I believe there is at least one other in these forums who took over 2 years to get their desired result, and they would also say the time spent was worthwhile.
    If you want this, you can make it happen. Just don't compare your journey to some 20-something who can spend most of their day, uninterrupted, studying the LSAT. Of course they're going to see results faster. It felt like it took forever before something clicked for me. And then, bam! Done. On to admissions. On to telling schools that offered a full-ride "no" because I have some great options (that one was the most mind-blowing moment aside from realizing my last LSAT score meant I was finally done and going to law school). It's just time and effort to get there, and no one can tell you how much time it will take.

• Kiva_180Kiva_180 Member
    130 karma

@username_hello @10000019

I think the statistics for satisfaction are heavily skewed by the large percentage of people going into law just because they don't have a better plan. That's why you probably will see higher satisfaction from the top schools, but it's not because of better outcomes. Getting into a top school takes either an enormous amount of planning and preparation (in which case you're very seriously considering the decision) or being in the top of your field, doing great in school and being a natural on the LSAT. The latter type of person is also pretty likely to be someone who has considered their options carefully and knows what they're getting into.

When I worked at a personal injury firm, I talked to a lot of the attorneys about this. Almost all of the ones that were unhappy with their jobs had either rushed into law or felt like there wasn't another career they could apply their skills in. One of them, for example, went to college on a sports scholarship and was majoring in communications. Just before his senior year, he realized he would never go pro (the original goal) and started seriously considering a career. He hadn't majored in communications because of any interest and didn't like the options there, but liked helping people and figured law school was sensible. So, he took the LSAT, applied, went to a T-25 law school immediately after graduating and that was that. He liked the 15 minutes in court each week, but hated the rest of the work and generally wasn't happy. I think that's the situation about half of attorneys found themselves in and that's why so many are unhappy.

An attorney at the same firm who had made a career switch from construction was in his 70s and still working 50-60 hours a week because he loved it. IMHO, the vast majority of people on these forums (7Sage, Reddit, etc.), going to top law schools, making a career switch, or otherwise putting a lot of thought into whether law is right for them are going to be very happy in a legal career. Obviously that won't be everyone and it's important to carefully consider the decision, but it's not about unicorn options at an elite school or glamorous lawyering. If you carefully consider the decision and go in with the right expectations, I don't see where law is any less satisfying than any other career.

1755 karma

@Kiva_180 yea I agree with a lot of what you said

55 karma

@AudaciousRed said:

@LanceB02 said:
    I had a 3.78 GPA in college but this damn LSAT is a tough nut to crack. I think if I could score in the high 160s it might make the jump worth it. But working 60 plus hours a week makes studying near impossible with a family. Trying to eclipse 150 has been tough sledding..

I work and have a family to handle, plus rural living demands (fence mending, wood cutting and stacking, driving long distances for groceries and doctors, etc). I started my LSAT study while I was taking very heavy semester loads for my BA, too. In total, my LSAT journey took ~1.5 years, and I went from very low 150's to low-mid 160's (I probably could have gone higher, but I was happy with where that score got me and didn't want to wait another cycle).
    It sucks, but for those of us with obligations, it just takes longer. And that's okay. Trust me when I say my results were 1,000% worth the time I spent. I believe there is at least one other in these forums who took over 2 years to get their desired result, and they would also say the time spent was worthwhile.
    If you want this, you can make it happen. Just don't compare your journey to some 20-something who can spend most of their day, uninterrupted, studying the LSAT. Of course they're going to see results faster. It felt like it took forever before something clicked for me. And then, bam! Done. On to admissions. On to telling schools that offered a full-ride "no" because I have some great options (that one was the most mind-blowing moment aside from realizing my last LSAT score meant I was finally done and going to law school). It's just time and effort to get there, and no one can tell you how much time it will take.

That’s a great perspective and I appreciate the advice. It’s simply going to take a large amount of continued studying but I believe I can get there. Good luck on your law school journey!

• @LanceB02 said:
    You’re not alone and this is a great question that I wrestle with every day. I’m 31, have a wife and two kids, and have had a great career as an Officer in the Army with benefits to make sure my family is taken care of.

If you get some good advice just let me know because I’d also love to hear it. Good luck!

Thank you for your service.

Honestly it's just great to know that there are people who are in similar situations to me out there, who are working on this as well. I'm not doing anything as demanding as a life in the military, but it does feel like a risk to switch this late in the game.

Then again, my intuition tells me that waiting much longer would be a mistake that would be hard to recover from, so I think I'm making the right choice. Sounds like you are too!

Thanks for the insight, Lance!

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    edited April 2020 990 karma

@AudaciousRed said:

@LanceB02 said:

What a great and motivating advice you have to share. I also have a family and it is so damn hard to just get one solid uninterrupted hour in; if it’s not the husband, it’s the children! 🤦🏽‍♀️ But yeah, sometimes it’s disheartening to see people younger than you kinda got a head start and you’re just starting of. I also have 3.9 ugpa but LSAT doesn’t come easy to me. I know I will get it but as always, gotta put that work in. You’re 100% right, for those with familial obligations and working on top of that, it is not easy. If I can even study for one hour each day, I am proud of myself!

• stephmp1296stephmp1296 Alum Member
    44 karma

I was in the same predicament before I was an intern in undergrad! I read the book 24 hours with 24 lawyers and it is super helpful and gives you great insight into different things these lawyers do!

edited April 2020 55 karma

Nothing like being 20 min into Solid 7Sage LSAT studying, you’re crushing your 3rd of 4 logic games and and your 4 year old daughter and 6 year old son burst into your office so that you can be the honest broker about who is the fastest kid! Ahh I’m gonna need more whiskey during this study journey...#struggleISreal