Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No April cancellation yet?!!??

lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
in General 3190 karma

When the first quarantine orders were given two weeks ago, LSAC cancelled March quite promptly. I think they cancelled the morning of, at least before my shelter in place orders were given. Now with the quarantine extension in place for a few days, I thought they would have cancelled by now?

No cancellation along with the webinar of them exploring remote testing makes me feel as if remote testing could be a very real possibility .What do you all think?

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

I don't think they want to cancel this one because it will put a lot of pressure on the future administrations. I think they are exploring either remote testing or centers where they would be able to promote social distancing. I would be surprised if they keep flat out cancelling tests. We don't know how long this will last and people need to take the test eventually.

• Prayfor_mePrayfor_me Alum Member
    119 karma

April 10 they will announce, but most likely be cancelled. Keep an eye on the website, they're updating frequently.

• jmarmaduke96jmarmaduke96 Member Sage
    2891 karma

I agree, I think that the in-person administration will almost certainly be canceled. From my understanding, the GRE is allowing students to take the test remotely for the time being. Perhaps the LSAT will be following suit. I know that April 10th they will announce, but the wait is killing me.

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

Here is my theory: The April LSAT is getting cancelled. I am at about 98% sure of this, at least for in person. There was almost 20,000 people registered for the test ( or moved from March), and that is just too many people to be able to provide safe in person testing for. Additionally, I would very surprised if they had a secure online system ready to adminster to that many people before the end of the month.

So why the delay? Cancelling two admins in a row is going to make both test takers and Law schools very nervous. Schools will need to change deadlines and make accomadations. Lower ranked schools may not have their classes filled. Students who were trying to use April as a last shot for 2020 or to get off the wait list will be furious. And naturally, the questions and focus will turn to June. June would potentially be one of the biggest adminstrations of the year. It is impact extends to not just people who are trying to apply 2020 but now it is impacting the 2021 cycle. When April is cancelled people will be demanding answers about June.

June is supposed to be a disclosed test for North America. Plus, there is an International Test as well. With the way the virus is going I don't see how they could administer a disclosed test in person. What about online? Like many test takers I would love to see a secure online option, but having one test ready to administer to THOUSANDS across the country at the same time SECURELY? I just don't think there is a concrete enough plan about this yet. It may not be possible that fast. LSAC is buying themselves time because they know that don't have the answers yet and cancelling April is going to raise MANY more questions than they are ready for.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

The latest Powerscore LSAT Podcast discusses this issue as well. They were agreeing with a lot of what @FindingSage said above.

5254 karma

Also, law schools are starting to extend their deadlines.

3481 karma

I hope that law schools will delay the opening of the 2021 applications. If all the summer administrations get cancelled, it seems bad to open up rolling admissions and allow seats/scholarships to fill up when many applicants haven't taken a test due to covid.

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

@lsatplaylist I heard the PowerScore podcast. I also went to the LSAC live streaming event discussing what is going on. I can say that Kellye Teste spent the whole time trying to reassure people as well as the Deans of the different schools that were there. I saw floods of questions and they really weren’t answered. I asked one question which wasn’t. I want to take a disclosed test which was why I was interested in June. All I wanted to know was if June was cancelled would July be disclosed. I never got an answer. I see on Reddit people saying they have contacted the test centers who are saying the sites are closed. LSAC is saying they will have their own proctors. It’s a mess.

• Cee-MattCee-Matt Alum Member
    39 karma

I was registered for the March exam. I have a score and was planning to do a retake for a higher score. I'm interested in a particular school. I applied to that school last year and ....no dice. I'm missing the school's median by 3-4 points. I'm wondering if I reapply now if I have a good shot under the circumstances. I'd incude an addendum (even though its obvious and universal) and show proof of my past registration. Classes start in August. Even if there is a June exam, where's the certainty that they'd get their students and fill their seats with such a short time period ( especially since the admission module will be off) ? What are some thoughts and feedback.

• endless_summer17endless_summer17 Alum Member
    76 karma

Honestly, I'm not even sure if they will be able to get it together and have an online test created by June. Is it possible to even have an online test created by July?

THE BIG QUESTION: Would admissions consider accepting July scores for the fall of 2020?

Most likely, with how the world is going, online tests might be a thing for August and October exams? Thoughts?

5254 karma

Another helpful discussion on this is LSAT Unplugged's recent YouTube chat with an admissions consultant and former admissions director.

• Jennie RHJennie RH Alum Member
    9 karma

I spoke to someone in admissions at a T25 and she said that they may be encouraging GRE if there's no LSAT option through the fall...

3481 karma

@"Jennie RH"

Yeah I saw a lower-ranked school send an email that they'll start taking GRE & GMAT due to covid.

I guess this is better than nothing but it's not a good solution for those of us who put so much time into studying for the LSAT and would prefer to use an LSAT score over a GRE & GMAT score. Plus the tests are so different that we'd be scrambling and switching gears to learn things like Geometry if the LSAT doesn't open more dates or implement remote testing.

I wonder why GMAT and GRE cannot help LSAT implement/buy/borrow remote testing software? Remote testing isn't unheard of these days, AWS and lots of IT certifications use remote testing software to proctor at-home tests. I don't work for LSAC obviously so I don't know what is holding them back from adapting. I also feel like remote testing would be a good option to have regardless of covid. Many people don't live near a testing center and don't have the financial means readily available to drive/take bus/stay in hotel/etc. So remote testing would reduce one barrier to entry for financially underprivileged people. It's not a perfect solution because not everyone would have a quiet environment and/or tablet/computer at home, but it's a great alternative.

• Rayne113Rayne113 Member
    7 karma

@noonawoon said:
    @"Jennie RH"

Yeah I saw a lower-ranked school send an email that they'll start taking GRE & GMAT due to covid.

I guess this is better than nothing but it's not a good solution for those of us who put so much time into studying for the LSAT and would prefer to use an LSAT score over a GRE & GMAT score. Plus the tests are so different that we'd be scrambling and switching gears to learn things like Geometry if the LSAT doesn't open more dates or implement remote testing.

I wonder why GMAT and GRE cannot help LSAT implement/buy/borrow remote testing software? Remote testing isn't unheard of these days, AWS and lots of IT certifications use remote testing software to proctor at-home tests. I don't work for LSAC obviously so I don't know what is holding them back from adapting. I also feel like remote testing would be a good option to have regardless of covid. Many people don't live near a testing center and don't have the financial means readily available to drive/take bus/stay in hotel/etc. So remote testing would reduce one barrier to entry for financially underprivileged people. It's not a perfect solution because not everyone would have a quiet environment and/or tablet/computer at home, but it's a great alternative.

Also the GRE has a math section. I have dyscalculia and the Logic Games are bad enough. There's no way I would be able to make a decent score.

• KarissawozKarissawoz Core Member
    7 karma

We have been studying for the LSAT and switching to the GRE is unrealistic and shouldn't be encouraged by administrators of universities as we don't have the time to study.

3481 karma

@Karissawoz Agree. This only seems like a good solution for people who already have stellar GRE scores on hand AND don't want to take the LSAT. I know plenty of people with good GRE scores who still opt to take the LSAT because it is favored by law schools, even if they do accept GRE. So aka that "solution" will only help a tiny minority of people.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Its not a solution at all i agree. I mean i think its unlikely LSAC wont be able to find any option whether online or some far away remote testing centers by this Fall.

For me, if for the 2021 admission cycle schools take GRE because there is no LSAT option, its probably much more worth it to postpone a year to 2022 admission cycle after having invested so much time into the LSAT. Worse case scenario they dont find something for 2 years and in that case im just doomed lool