Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to avoid burnout while making sure I get through material- any tips?

keepgoing.keepgoing. Member
edited April 2020 in General 365 karma

Any general tips? I keep doing this to myself and then by the time I realize it, I am already burnt out.

How in the heck do I balance not over-doing it but also make sure I get through PT's and material before the July test. I am already done CC. Just going over it occasionally for my weak areas after PT'ing.

I am so stressed out that I keep burning out from over studying and become unable to do anything at all. Then, I take a one week break to recover and repeat my bad habits of over-studying and so on

Comments

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

More consistent breaks in between and less long breaks. I think long breaks kind of disincentivise you to continue studying. I like shorter breaks in between. Maybe a 2-3 days off a week?

• 1025 karma

I liked to change up where I study. Picking a new study spot is refreshing, even if it's just in a different room of the house.

• 1058 karma

Try to recognize where the line is for you between not studying enough and pure exhaustion. Then plan accordingly. That may look like studying for 3 hours 5 days a week or maybe for 4 full days a week with 3 off. That depends on you and your preferences.

It helps me to make a spreadsheet with what I want to work on for the week. I study for the time allotted so that I know I am getting done what needs to get done but I don't go beyond unless I have the energy to. I can get caught up in the LSAT and go over time because I consider some parts of it to be fun. But if you feel like it is causing you to become exhausted then pull back on the reigns a bit.

Hang in there!

• keepgoing.keepgoing. Member
    365 karma

@"The Great White Shark" said:
    Try to recognize where the line is for you between not studying enough and pure exhaustion. Then plan accordingly. That may look like studying for 3 hours 5 days a week or maybe for 4 full days a week with 3 off. That depends on you and your preferences.

It helps me to make a spreadsheet with what I want to work on for the week. I study for the time allotted so that I know I am getting done what needs to get done but I don't go beyond unless I have the energy to. I can get caught up in the LSAT and go over time because I consider some parts of it to be fun. But if you feel like it is causing you to become exhausted then pull back on the reigns a bit.

Hang in there!

Thank you so much! I am going to try making a spreadsheet and be more aware of my limits.

edited April 2020 365 karma

@TheDeterminedC said:
    I liked to change up where I study. Picking a new study spot is refreshing, even if it's just in a different room of the house.

Nice tip! However, the distractions are reaaaaal in my crazy house lol. So i study in my dingy basement haha

365 karma

@lexxx745 said:
    More consistent breaks in between and less long breaks. I think long breaks kind of disincentivise you to continue studying. I like shorter breaks in between. Maybe a 2-3 days off a week?

yes, i like the sounds of that. My problem is when I take breaks I feel like I am falling behind - missing my opportunity to study - forgetting everything - it is the worst feeling of doom and irrational

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

If you're exhausted, then rest. Yet have where you're going in the back of your mind.

• 1058 karma

@dodo_bird said:

@TheDeterminedC said:

Nice tip! However, the distractions are reaaaaal in my crazy house lol. So i study in my dingy basement haha

I try to switch up where I’m studying too. I get too comfortable if I stay in the same place day after day. But I also have a lot of distractions in my house. What I end up doing is trying to get my assigned work done in my room and then if I feel like studying more, I may take it out to the living room for an hour or so. It’s not always super productive but it gives me a break from being in my room for so long so I guess that’s something!

365 karma

@"The Great White Shark" said:

@dodo_bird said:

@TheDeterminedC said:

I try to switch up where I’m studying too. I get too comfortable if I stay in the same place day after day. But I also have a lot of distractions in my house. What I end up doing is trying to get my assigned work done in my room and then if I feel like studying more, I may take it out to the living room for an hour or so. It’s not always super productive but it gives me a break from being in my room for so long so I guess that’s something!

Yes, good point!