Please Help - Cycle Recap - Should I Retake & Reapply?

Hi all - thank you in advance if you chime in to help (and for bearing with my long post).

Admittedly, disappointed with how my cycle went - A: UC Hastings W: UC Davis, Emory, Notre Dame R: handful of schools ranked above Notre Dame. Also, no money from UC Hastings, even after appealing. I am riding out the waitlists, but not optimistic.

My application history: GPA 3.5x, LSAT high 15x. Over the span of a year, I took the LSAT 3 times - used 7sage to study! I feel I have a compelling personal statement, good work experience (will have worked 5 years in government doing policy and finance), and strong letters of recommendations. I do think I left points on the table for the LSAT - I was PTing low-mid 160s. I also failed to apply early, submitting some apps as late as February. So I would focus on improving these two areas if I reapply.

Goals: Ideally attend law school in CA, and work in CA. Interested in public/government law like US Attorney’s Office, but also interested in Big Law (transactional) as I can see that being a great field in Bay Area tech sector. UC Berkeley was/is the dream, but I visited UCLA and pictured myself happy there too.

Other considerations on my mind:

1. I know deep down that I want to be a lawyer, so I will go to law school.

2. It has already felt like such a long process, so I hate the idea of another year, but if it makes sense, I’m willing to do it. And Oct/Nov is not that far away now...

3. I do think my mindset will be different. I’ll push harder, and will have the lessons and experience from the first cycle, motivating me to do better.

4. Financially, my family cannot support my education. I have some savings, and another year of work will definitely help. I feel pretty confident about my job security for the next year.

5. UC Hastings is a solid regional school, but I still have reservations about paying sticker!

6. But what if next cycle does turn out to be even more competitive?

Still, with 1 A, no money, and better application execution and strategy, I can only do better right?! Thank you.

Comments

• 173orbust173orbust Alum Member
    183 karma

While it is a personal decision, I would strongly consider retaking given that you think you can do better on the LSAT. This could open many doors to you with more acceptances or scholarship money.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

It doesn't seem like you have a lot to lose by waiting another year to be honest. I totally get being excited to start law school and begin your legal career, but law school will always be there and it seems worthwhile to wait another year if you think you would be happier with the outcome.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Retake. But really gotta go ham since u already have 3 takes down. I think its 2 more within 5 years? 7 lifetime? So basically 2 takes left

• 414 karma

I’d also suggest that you retake to get your score up. It’s definitely possible to get into UCLA and Berkeley, but it seems unlikely with high 150s. And with the possibility of the some future tests administered as flex, it’s a good timing for you to retake since flex don’t count towards the test limit. Keep your head up!

• mariev22mariev22 Member
    edited May 2020 57 karma

@SCOTUSorBust I totally hear you that a few more points can change my results, so I am leaning toward retaking and reapplying. I totally believe I still have more in me than how I've prepared for performed on the test.

@noonawoon Agreed. I currently don't have any money on the table, so there really is very little to lose and only more to gain from R&R.

@lexxx745 Totally will "go ham" haha. I've learned my lesson. Also, I hear the LSAT flex doesn't count toward your take limit.

@"caffeine powered human" Thank you! Attending one of these schools would just make me so happy, so I do think I'll try one more time!

• Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
    1417 karma

Keep on going and do what is best for you. Never give on your goals/dreams. I messaged you.