Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

strengthen questions

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
edited February 2015 in General 578 karma
I am really confused on strengthen LR questions (assumption family). So I learned that if you attack strengthen questions fhe same way as "must be true" questions it will screw you up. Makes sense, but sometimes the right answer to strengthen questions seem like a must be true. So I'm confused.
For example, February 1996 LR 1 Q. 11 about space stations correct answer seems to be a must be true even though it's a strengthen question type.

Comments

• harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I don't know if I've ever heard that you should attack them like a MBT. I thought that was more for necessary assumptions (either MBT, or negation technique). I may be getting them confused though.
    For both strengthening and weakening I follow the same method:

Identify the Conclusion.
    Identify the Premise.

Find the answer choice that makes the conclusion more likely, or strengthens the relationship between the two. For me, I know if I tried to attempt it in a different way (like using the MBT), I might get confused as I went through the question set....
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I have never hear anything about the same approach for MBT and strengthen... they are very different questions. You want to find something that strengthens the argument being made, it doesnt have to be something that MBT. A good test I like to use is negating the stem & AC (negate the AC and see if it weakens the argument)
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    Yeah...the approach to MBT aren't even close to Strengthen. MBT/MSS/MBF are in their own family of questions.
  • mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
    938 karma
    Yeah sometimes some of the answer choices walk blurred lines o.O... I think the best thing to understand (once I was able to grasp this), is the question stem. If you can figure out the context, premise, conclusion and etc. every LR question becomes easier. Of course, this is easier said than done.

After I grasped that concept 3 LR question types still got to me, SA, PF, and PSA.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    edited February 2015 578 karma
    @ddakjiking @jdawg113 @harrismegan
    Hmm I never said that strengthen questions should be attacked the same way as MBT. I said, "I learned that if you attack strengthen questions the same way as 'must be true' questions it will screw you up. Makes sense..."

Screw you up meaning you shouldn't approach it like that because it will confuse/mess you up

Looks like some of you need to practice must be true and careful reading while I practice strengthen hahaha

@jdawg113 you cannot always use the negation technique on strengthen questions. Negation only works on necessary strengthen questions types, which I call 2N (N = negation). The question stem for N would be:

The argument assumes that
    The assumption depends on
    The assumption requires
    The conclusion can validly be drawn only if

It's not exactly phrased like that but when determining if it's necessary or sufficient you're looking for important words in the stem like "requires, depends, only if, etc."

• ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    I think we just got confused with your following sentence "Makes sense, but sometimes the right answer to strengthen questions seem like a must be true." lol.

It's been 2.5 weeks since looking at anything LSAT-related so maybe some of us are rusty. :P
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    1. all I said is I never heard of people doing that
    2. Never said it was a perfect technique, just it is a good one. (also not sure if I have seen a strengthen that it didnt really work on)
    3. :)
    @ddakjiking hahaha its okay, I understand. The word "but" in the quote you used from my statement should have been an indication. Buy Manhatten LR if you haven't already LOL
    @jdawg113

1) it's funny you mention people yet you wrote,
    "I have never hear anything about the same approach for MBT and strengthen... they are very different questions."
    Regardless of whether or not you said people in your original statment, you still said that you have never heard of anything about the same approach for MBT and strenghten questions, when in fact I never said anything about using MBT on strengthen questions

2) I never argued that you claimed it's a perfect technique. In fact, I never said anything about you claiming it's "good technique" or "perfect technique." All I said is that you cannot use the negation technique on all strengthen questions. Only necessary ones.

3) :D
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    "So I learned that if you attack strengthen questions fhe same way as "must be true" questions it will screw you up"

Oh sorry. Blame my 6/7AM brain for this misread!!!!
    578 karma
    @harrismegan it's okay. It happens to me too lol
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Identity the Premise and Conclusion 1st then find the support between the P & C and try to make it better i.e, STRENGTHEN it. That's how I approach Strengthen questions.
    @emli1000 I understand that's how you approach strengthen questions.

It seems like people are confused about my post. Let me clarify,
    So for strengthen questions you do not approach it like a MBT ( I repeat, do not). However, it seems like sometimes the correct answer on Strengthen questions is a MBT.
    For example, February 1996 LR 1 Q. 11 about space stations, the correct answer seems to be a must be true even though it's a strengthen question type.

Question: can that happen on strengthen questions or am I making some mistakes?
    50 karma
    Yeah it sometimes happens @royaimani but as you said don't approach it like MBT
  • Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    810 karma
    Just as an FYI: the question you referred to (Feb 96, LR 1, Q 11) is a necessary assumption question, not strengthening. I suppose you could think of NA questions as a type of strengthening question, but the type of strengthening statement they ask for is very specific.

NA answers will always be true (if the argument in the stimulus is true), but not in the same way as an MBT. The difference is too much for me to explain in a quick post, so I would encourage you to refer to the specific 7Sage lessons on the two question types.
    50 karma
    Necessary and Sufficient assumptions all fall in the Strengthening question types. The deleted user is my friend who I studied with and we both were tutored by Testmasters. Every company teaches it differently. FYI
  • Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    810 karma
    Fair enough. I think that distinction may have been where the confusion about strengthening/MBT overlap was coming from by the users above -- I imagine that I'm not alone in my unfamiliarity with Testmasters!