Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Put latin honors on my apps or no?

EllegoalsEllegoals Member
edited September 2020 in Law School Admissions 342 karma

Hi everyone.

I graduated from my degree granting institution with latin honors (summa cum laude) but I was a transfer, and my cumulative GPA with my other institution is definitely not that. Summa cum laude is on my resume because it's written on my diploma, but since LSAC has calculated a different GPA, I feel weird putting that on my apps and law school resume, although they do ask for honors and awards... Any suggestions on what I should do?

Latin honors?
  1. Add latin honors to my app/resume?33 votes
    1. No
        3.03%
    2. Yes
      36.36%
    3. Yes, but clearly specify "from degree granting institution
      60.61%

Comments

• snelllasnellla Core Member
    103 karma

If they granted it to you, then I would put it. I think that it will be evident that it is from the school that awarded it. If anything I would think that it would draw attention to the fact that you seem to have gotten better grades after you transferred. I wouldn't be shy about that.

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

I have the same issue, graduated summa but because I also transferred my LSAC GPA falls under magna. I have summa listed on my resume from my degree granting institution. They have all your transcripts so I'm sure its fine.

• EllegoalsEllegoals Member
    342 karma

@snellla That's a good point. I've debated whether I should write a GPA addendum, and embracing the difference instead of shying away from it might actually be good. Thanks!

342 karma

@Logician Good to know you're in the same boat and chose to list it - thanks!

• An_SkywalkerAn_Skywalker Member
    160 karma

The fact that you put that third option in there means you'll be a great lawyer.

342 karma

@ashen03 hahaha this totally made my day

• listentothewindblowlistentothewindblow Core Member
    127 karma

If it's on your transcript I think they will already see that you graduated with honors. Because it says honors are denoted on the law school report.