Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RC Law/Legal Passage Advice

I am having a tough time working on Law passages on RC. It feels way harder than science, economy, SS passages.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get familiar with the subject? Any books, websites?

I've been reading economist articles 5-10 per day and it's been a great help. Hoping to find some books or website to prepare for Legal passages on RC.

Thanks!

Comments

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Alum Member
    2249 karma

I don’t think familiarity with the subject is necessary; it’s great but won’t kill you if you don’t have it. I also think it depends on how much time you have left before the exam. I’ve had several people suggest to me to read the economist but I didn’t find it helpful because I needed immediate help on the questions and not the subject matter.

• edited November 2020 1952 karma

i think being even somewhat familiar with the topic/ideas in the passage will make the passage much easier. moreover, it'll make your "active reading" easier. you'll be like: ooh boy, i read/heard about this before. wonder how it's going to go.

with that being said, for law, i'd recommend reading law journal articles from whichever schools you're interested in applying to. you can also read about a few cases from https://www.leagle.com/ https://www.jstor.org/ https://www.supremecourt.gov/

although i don't think that knowing about these specific cases would help tremendously on the lsat, i think having a broad idea on how cases are handled/settled will.
    and if you do get get a law passage about a specific case on the lsat, you can at least connect them with the ones that you know, even if they probably won't be that exact case. all in all, i think they can help you get engaged with the passage.

if you have the money, quimbee is a great resource for case briefs i heard from law school students. they also have a youtube channel.

all of these won't substitute for the time spent on your actual lsat prep. but they can be great ideas for your study-break.

happy studying!

• Second Language-1-1Second Language-1-1 Alum Member
    82 karma

@"LOWERCASE EVERYTHING" Thank you so much for your reply! I appreciate you sharing the websites. Personally, reading Economist articles gave me clarity and confidence when I approach to RC passages in general. Of course I won't ever find a similar RC legal passage on those websites, but feeling like "I've read legal articles before" could be comforting and beneficial.

Wish you the best and happy thanksgiving :smiley:

• 1952 karma

@"Second Language" of course! happy thanksgiving to you as well!

• Chris NguyenChris Nguyen Alum Member Administrator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    4577 karma

What helped me was also diving deep in understanding the specific passage I had trouble with. I remember a hard law passage about discretionary non enforcement, so I decided to google everything about that specific topic to learn more about it. Also, you can read where the passage was cited from to learn more info. I’ve done that a couple of times and it’s been fairly helpful!

• Second Language-1-1Second Language-1-1 Alum Member
    82 karma

@Christopherr very good tip! Thank you so much!!