PT80.S4.Q22 - Dinosaurs

Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Alum Member
edited December 2020 in Logical Reasoning 2249 karma

I liked B and D as answer choices. Why is D irrelevant? I've read online explanations that stated it isn't relevant whether or not the dinosaur found was related to the T-rex, but why is that? If the recently discovered dino was related to T.rex, wouldn't that weaken the connection between having T-rex features (oversized head, etc) and needing these features to accommodate their great size?

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-80-section-4-question-22/

Comments

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Alum Member
    2249 karma

Conclusion: The T-rex's features were not developed to accommodate the dino's great size and weight.
    Evidence: there's this other dino skeleton we found that was much smaller and lighter but had the same features.
    Is it necessary that this dino be a T-rex for the argument to hold?

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

Premise: We found a dino with TRex features but 1/5 its size.

Conclusion: So, the belief that TRex features were necessary to accommodate its size must be abandoned.

D is incorrect because it will not help you evaluate this argument regardless of what the answer is. Whether it's related to the TRex or not makes the conclusion no more or less likely.

@"ashley.tien" said:
    Is it necessary that this dino be a T-rex for the argument to hold?

No, because they are only talking about the features. An answer to D doesn't even tell you it's a TRex... just if it is related to them.

edited December 2020 2249 karma

So is this the correct way to think about it? Let’s say the Dino is related to the T.Rex: perhaps its features were still developed to accommodate its large size and bulk (if it were not fully grown) and same can go if the Dino were not related to the T.Rex
    Is that why this answer is wrong? Because it doenst provide a clear answer as to whether the features were developed to accommodate its size and weight?

So is this question not so much about the T.Rex as a species but its specific features? (Oversized head, etc)

And thanks by the way for your responses

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

@"ashley.tien" said:
    So is this the correct way to think about it? Let’s say the Dino is related to the T.Rex: perhaps its features were still developed to accommodate its large size and bulk (if it were not fully grown) and same can go if the Dino were not related to the T.Rex
    Is that why this answer is wrong? Because it doenst provide a clear answer as to whether the features were developed to accommodate its size and weight?

Kind of. D. would give us an answer (yes or no) to whether the dino was related to the TRex. It's wrong because no matter what the answer is, it doesn't help us evaluate the argument.

The right answer is a question to which the answer would either strengthen or weaken the argument.

B. would tell us if the dino was like a baby or full grown... if the former, well that weakens the argument because who knows how big it would grow to be. Maybe as big as a TRex! IF it was an adult then that strengthens the argument in that here is a full grown 1/5 size TRex featured dino, so yeah I guess sized isn't what caused the features.

D. on the other hand is just like, is this dino related to the TRex? So a yes... that doesn't help us at all. So what if its related? Was it full grown? Was it going to grow more? Was it an oddball runt or atypically large for its species? We have no additional knowledge relevant to the argument. And if the answer is no? Exact same thing.

So is this question not so much about the T.Rex as a species but its specific features? (Oversized head, etc)

The argument in the stimulus is about the features. The question is asking you which answer choice gives you a question, that if answered, would most help you evaluate the argument. In other words, if you knew the answers to the questions in A, B, C, D and E. which one could you use to show the argument about TRex features is good or bad?

And thanks by the way for your responses

You're welcome! I hope they're helping!

2249 karma

I liked B a lot then when I got to D, I started doubting and I convinced myself it was correct and chose it so I'm trying to de-tangle the misconceptions in my mind...

• whatsmynamewhatsmyname Member
    edited August 2021 606 karma

I posted this under the explanation video. Can someone tell me what they think?

I think A) is wrong for a different reason than explained. By process of elimination B) becomes the only valid answer.

Stimulus:
    The belief that “characteristic T-rex traits developed to account for its size and weight” is wrong.
    A specimen had all the characteristic traits but was 20% of the size, and 1% of the weight.

Analysis:
    This means that the traits weren’t adaptations that existed to support its size and weight, rather, there is another reason the animal had those traits.
    What would help us find out what that other reason was?

A) says: was the ratio proportional to the T-rex?
    Actually, I think this is a very helpful question because it helps us determine whether it was it a t-rex (yes, it is proportional), or something else (no, it was not proportional)? This would help us determine whether the conclusion is valid or not; whether the previous belief needs to be abandoned. If the answer to this question is yes, the belief would not need to be abandoned.

The issue with A, however, is that it focuses not on the animal’s rations as a whole, but the head specifically and disregards the other parameter mentioned – weight. So even if the 1/5 head is proportional, how about the weight 1/100 – that means other body parts are disproportional? The specimen in the stimulus has a smaller head, but an even more disproportionately lower weight — and that needs to be addressed as well. The question doesn’t help us resolve that paradox.

C, D, E can easily be eliminated, which leaves us with B.

help