Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Flex Room Rules (January Flex)

Hey everybody,

This post is directed towards people who have already written for the LSAT Flex. My concern is regarding the room/office/space/cell that one will take the flex in. Is there a certain type of room LSAC expects us to use? And specific guidelines as to what the room entails? For example, I have a desk in my office at my house. It has a few paintings on the wall, a few plants in the corner, a small book shelf (with books), and behind my chair is a tall "desk set". I'm wondering if I have to deconstruct the set and remove all other items from the room before the exam. Not about to spend 6 months studying just to be told that I can't take the flex because there's a portrait of a matador in the bottom left screen.

Let me know what I should do as its just around the corner. Thanks for the help fellow Sagers. :)

Comments

• _iamnw96_iamnw96 Alum Member
    437 karma

following

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited January 2021 905 karma

I took all of the prohibited items out of the room (what a chore!) and turned my books in a small bookshelf around so the spines faced the wall (overkill here, LSAC didn't make comments about books ... although having them next to us, of course is one thing compared to having them out of reach behind us ... ). The room is so ugly right now!!

I had the walls covered with notes and notecards and it was so funny when I removed them a few weeks ago - I never realized how often I 'looked up' to the ones in front of me until there was nothing on the wall to see.

If you have a plain sheet, you could even just cover up stuff (I think LSAC recommends this for TVs and other electronics that can't be moved out of a room, but check before believing me :D). A paining should be ok (as long as it doesn't have logic formula as its motif, heehee), even more so if it's behind you. Their site mostly talks about electronics in the room. And people in the room. Watch your office supplies out, though, to make sure you meet their guidelines for max. quantities. They really make a note about wanting the desk surface empty except for our scrap paper and writing utensils (and 20oz plastic bottle).

Some of the past writing samples were delayed because of backpacks visible in the room (which is a prohibited item). Don't know at what point they'd actually cancel someone's test. I have to be really careful about not swearing in Swedish or doing something stupid in front of the camera/person that creates a violation, eeek.

• _iamnw96_iamnw96 Alum Member
    437 karma

how do we find info on prohibited items @hopefulling ?

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    1470 karma

my space is a built in wall desk and it has shelving with lots of books on them! Do you guys think just covering it up by duct taping a sheet or something over would suffice?

• mj___0101mj___0101 Core Member
    edited January 2021 10 karma

I took my Flex on a dining room table...my dining room is basically an open space connecting to both my kitchen and living room. I just covered some books that were nearby with a blanket and had no issues

• alexmahmoudalexmahmoud Core Member
    89 karma

i took mine in my living room. tv was in there and everything, didn't have any issues. i took all the small electronics out just in case though..

• sk144404sk144404 Core Member
    237 karma

I have taken the FLEX twice - the first time I had just renovated my bedroom/office so there was only a folding plastic desk and a chair the second time it looked like a regular office but my desk and anything in sight was clear.

On another remote proctored exam I got sheets and towels and covered my bookcase and tv and anything that could remotely be viewed as a violation. I am going to be doing that again for this upcoming test.

• Karlygash-1Karlygash-1 Alum Member
    61 karma

I am wondering, before you take the test, do you have a sort of preliminary call to show your room where you take the test? May be at this stage they advise you what to move or cover?

• julezlaroujulezlarou Core Member
    2 karma

I took mine in the office room of our house. I made sure to remove absolutely all electronic devices from the room (including the shredder and the printer just in case :)). I did have ready the scratch paper with pens and pencils, and a mirror which helped out in the check-in process. The proctor asked to rotate the camera to check on all the room walls, the mirror was used to check on the desktop; the proctor also asked to see the under the desk area. So, there is a thorough check-in process for which you have to be ready.