Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Attaching external monitor (27 inch) to Macbook Air

edited April 2021 in April 2021 LSAT 37 karma

The screen on my MacBook Air is small. I am planning on hooking up my 27-inch monitor to the MacBook Air, which I think will help me with Reading Comprehension, and really every aspect of the test, having the larger screen size and larger font. I'm guessing this is not cut and dry as far as the rules, but I don't see anything in the rules that specifically prohibits using an external monitor to take the test. Any thoughts? It will be the MacBook Air, and the 27-inch monitor on my desk (along with the other materials).

Comments

• infamousdingoinfamousdingo Member
    30 karma

External monitors are not allowed, per my understanding. https://www.lsac.org/about/lsac-policies/lsac-candidate-agreement

"Please be aware that your Test proctor will not allow you to take the Test if any prohibited electronic devices are observed during the room scan portion of the check-in for your Test. This includes, but is not limited to, any separate monitors or desktop computers that are nearby during the Test."

• 37 karma

I am sure you are right, and I don't know if I am going to push the issue, but the way it reads, "any separate monitors"--I feel like I could argue that the monitor is technically not separate (depending on how you define separate) because I'm using the monitor as a part of my computer setup--the external monitor would be the only monitor I use for the test (I wouldn't be using the MacBook Air monitor at all). I feel like the Proctors should be able to see that I'm not doing anything nefarious by using the monitor. I don't have a ton of money to drop on a nice desktop computer with a large screen, just to use for the LSAT.

• evan.006evan.006 Member
    82 karma

I've used ProctorU in the past (not for the LSAT), and they run a script that ensures that you do not have a monitor even connected to your laptop. You would also need a webcam, so unless your other monitor has one, they can't ensure that you are only using one screen (as far as I know).

If you take the LSAT again, you could always try to get an accommodation from LSAC or use their technology lending program. It's probably a bit late for that now, but could work in the future.

• 37 karma

LSAC just emailed me back and they say that I can use an external monitor because "[it] is an extension of the MacBook."

• hotranchsaucehotranchsauce Member
    288 karma

That's funny, I was just going through my setup right now. I have a laptop, but I use a large external monitor most times and was planning on using it during the test (with accompanying external webcam/mic. If the above rule is all they mention about it, I feel like using an external monitor would not be disallowed. I don't know, I guess we'll find out. I mean, if the laptop is closed and, for example, behind me on the other side of the room, and I'm using my external monitor as "the monitor", wouldn't the attached laptop monitor sitting 10 ft behind me then be considered the "separate monitor" and thus not allowed? Which would make sense. That's what I'll be going with unless they force me to ONLY use my laptop monitor, which I would find super strange but hey, whatever lol.

• italian_tacoitalian_taco Member
    158 karma

Hey,

I contacted Proctor U asking about this not too long ago. I also have an external monitor connected to my MBA and they said it's totally fine. However, the laptop itself has to be arm's length away from you. So maybe putting it on the ground under your desk perhaps.

Good luck!