Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Typo in Writing Sample

haydo930haydo930 Member

Hey everyone,
So I just wrote my writing sample (my test is tomorrow) and everything went really well, I had strong arguments etc. But with 5 seconds left, I notice a rather important typo (just the misspelling of a word) in the FIRST SENTENCE. I tried to fix it, but had no time. It is definitely clear what I meant, but I kind of feel like my world is ending right now. Anyone have any words of advice/ reassurance?

Comments

• Jessica DJessica D Member
    30 karma

Sorry to hear that happened to you. Unfortunately I do not have any insight to share with you, just empathy. I have not done my writing sample yet. Does the system provide spell check?

• tahurrrrrtahurrrrr Member
    1106 karma

If your argument was strong and that's your only typo, i highly doubt that's going to be make or break against you. They know you're writing under a time limit. While spelling and grammar are important, they want to see a coherent argument first and foremost. So if you accomplished that, i wouldn't worry to much.

• 123anami123anami Member
    388 karma

@"Jessica D" said:
    Sorry to hear that happened to you. Unfortunately I do not have any insight to share with you, just empathy. I have not done my writing sample yet. Does the system provide spell check?

the system did provide spell check at least for me (macbook pro)

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited June 2021 8313 karma

Anecdotally, my consultant told me that of the thousands of writing samples he encountered as an admissions officer, he read two of them. He also told me that mine was "not terrible but not great." I opted not to submit another one and I did ok.

Don't worry about it and focus on getting your head right for the test.

• love2learnlove2learn Free Trial Member
    252 karma

I'm really worried my argument may have committed a reasoning flaw (I don't remember how I worded it and at the time , I was aware of dancing around this flaw, so as NOT to commit it .. but I'm worried about it!). I could go back and read the PDF copy, but I don't see why - it was approved a few hours after I took it on Sunday and if it reads poorly and flawed, I don't want to be reminded .. Part of me thinks it was approved so quickly to lock in the goof - - - I'm so worried that I look like an absolute moron

I didn't have to redo the writing, since I had a JAN writing sample, but I did 'just in case' they were stored for only up to 6 months (don't think this is the case), and because I have since been reading prep books and felt that I was more familiar with composing a more adequate argument. I'm kicking myself for not having read yet Delaney's Exam book, I think it would have helped more than his Legal Reasoning book that I have finished. gah to our worries!