Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice: Cancel Score?

ASMX1963ASMX1963 Member
edited August 2021 in August 2021 LSAT 65 karma

Hello! I could really use some advice. I took the June 2021 LSAT and got an average/good enough score for some of the schools to which I plan on applying. However, the score was not what I wanted so I took the August 2021 LSAT.

I felt good about 3 sections. Unfortunately, I did terrible on one of the two RC sections. On the first one I felt fine, but the second one I basically guessed on 18 questions because I ran out of time. I’m hoping that second RC section is the unscored. However, if it’s the section that is scored I am confident I will probably get a very low score (lower than my first LSAT).

Should I cancel my score and try again in October or should I take my chances and see which RC section ends up being scored? I worry if I don’t cancel I’ll have a very low score on my record.

If I cancel my August score, would taking it October 2021 be too soon/should I wait for the next application cycle or is 8 weeks enough time to focus on my weak areas?

Comments

• edited August 2021 10 karma

Following! In a very similar situation :)

• csharm002csharm002 Member
    352 karma

I’m not sure if you’ve been reading the thread for the August 2021 test, but it’s determined the RC section that counted was the one with a passage on Nigerian languages. People knew this by some having two LR sections or two LG sections and therefore had the RC section that counted. People had them in different order (I had that particular section second) so it’ll just be based on what you were given. Hope this helps!

• ASMX1963ASMX1963 Member
    65 karma

@csharm002 said:
    I’m not sure if you’ve been reading the thread for the August 2021 test, but it’s determined the RC section that counted was the one with a passage on Nigerian languages. People knew this by some having two LR sections or two LG sections and therefore had the RC section that counted. People had them in different order (I had that particular section second) so it’ll just be based on what you were given. Hope this helps!

Yes, this does help. I read through the thread and figured the Nigerian languages is the one that is scored.

Unfortunately that’s the RC section I did worse on so it probably makes sense to cancel my score. I just don’t know if trying to take it again in October is wise or if I’m rushing the process by taking it again in 8 weeks.

• lsatbeezylsatbeezy Member
    61 karma

@csharm002 said:

was that the first RC or second RC section?

• czheng15czheng15 Member
    16 karma

I just took the August one and cancelled the score. I had 2 RC back to back and it drained my brain cells :smile: LG was super easy but LR I believed I performed worse than usual.

• lizzogonzolizzogonzo Member
    628 karma

I don't see any reason to cancel your score unless you're certain you did worse than your June test. If that's not the case, then keep the August score, keep studying for October. If in September you are satisfied w/ the August score, then cancel the October test and start prepping for applying.

If you do retake for October and are trying to apply this cycle, it's going to be very stressful, so just be ready for the commitment it takes to apply by a reasonable time (before Thanksgiving is the typical benchmark) and study for the exam.

• csharm002csharm002 Member
    352 karma

@lsatbeezy said:

@csharm002 said:

was that the first RC or second RC section?

People had them in a different order, so not sure for you. It was second for me.