Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wrong Answer Journal LR HELP?

kareem1.rosskareem1.ross Member
edited September 2021 in Logical Reasoning 85 karma

How do i benefit from the wrong answer journal if i don't even understand how I got the question wrong? obviously, I got it wrong because I didn't select the correct answer and if i know what i did wrong Im sure I would have selected the right answer Lol ..... if anyone can advise me I would really appreciate it. :)

Comments

• 476 karma

Hey!

So there could be a couple of things happening. It could be a rule misread, a rule interpretation mistake, a timing error (running out of time), a set up problem (not setting up a master gameboard or setting up the wrong gameboards), an inference problem (lack of inference or wrong inference), a question type problem (CBT and MBT confusion), or picking an answer first before reviewing the rest of the answer choices.

Right after doing the sections, do a thorough BR. When you correct an answer in your BR that you previously got wrong, ask how you got it right this time and what your process was previously. Also, jot down how you will go about it when you encounter a similar issue next time. Don't see the answer until you have done these steps.
    It will also be helpful to have a specific process of how you approach games. Break them down into steps and apply it each time you do an LG section.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited September 2021 8313 karma

Just asking "How'd I get this wrong?" can be unproductively vague for a lot of people. Sometimes it can help to give yourself some prompts to respond to, at least initially. For instance:

What was my translation/understanding of the stimulus during the test?
    What is it now?
    Is there a difference? If so, why?
    Why are the answers right/wrong?
    Did I see this for each answer? If not, why?
    What did I like about the wrong answer I selected?
    Why is it still wrong regardless of why I liked it?
    What didnt I like about the right answer?
    Why is it still right regardless of why I didnt like it?
    Did I have a strategy for this question going into it?
    Did I follow it?
    Were there any factors external to the content that affected my performance (distractions, other questions, time, etc.)?
    What are all the tricks the test writer employed to either guide me to a wrong answer, or waste my time (thereby increasing the difficulty of subsequent questions)?
    Did I see them? If not, why?

Just a sample... you could go on depending nohow deep you want to go (e.g. what flaw did I make in selecting the wrong answer?, By selecting this answer I am assuming what? What would an alternative correct answer be?, Can I fix each wrong answer?, Can I convert this question to another question type?). IMO you should be able to write out at least a page for a hard question. I prefer to run my own analysis first, then seek out input from videos, forums, tutors, etc. for anything I couldn't make sense of or to add in differing perspectives.

Edit: I just saw this was specific to LG, but I'll leave the above more general comment anyway while I fix this, though much of it will still apply.

LG doesnt lend itself as well to an in depth written review IMO. While we can definitely get better focusing on theory, I think the deductive nature of games allows you to generally be more efficient just fool-proofing. But you can still benefit from review by asking the same performance based questions regarding what you noticed was going on, and then what you subsequently did about it vs what you should have done. Once you nail that down, you are set to produce what should be IMO the goal of review, a plan to improve... what are you going to do to get better?

@"kareem1.ross" said:
    obviously, I got it wrong because I didn't select the correct answer

This is saying I got it wrong because I got it wrong. Why didn't you select the correct answer? Answers to this question might include: I misread a rule (translation error - potential fixes: translation drills, modify form/attack to incorporate double checks, speed drills, focused fool proofing), I couldn't nail down a good setup (game type familiarity - potential fix: game type fool proofing), I ran out of time because I split/didn't split when I should have split/not split (reactive strategies - potential fix: drill games using both ideal and counterproductive strategies... split when you shouldn't, rule based attack when you should split). Obviously just a few of countless examples.

In review, we always want to keep asking "why" one more time and continue to answer that question until you get to the root issue.

• kareem1.rosskareem1.ross Member
    85 karma

thank you all for the advice and it was for LR not LG I made that mistake my bad

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

@canihazJD already pretty much covered everything. So I’ll just add a more general outlook. When doing your written analysis, you want to make sure that you haven’t looked at the correct answer yet (Sorry to be redundant, but you’d be surprised). Your job is to put forth a written explanation as to why you believe the correct answer is correct, and the incorrect ones, incorrect. If you’re just getting started you’re inevitably going to end up in the situation that you described- not knowing whether it is correct/incorrect. However, this is by design the goal of this exercise; to state and train your reasoning- Which means you have to explain it, then rinse, repeat, and learn.

So, once you’ve written out your explanations and realize that your reasoning was faulty, make note of where you went wrong and correct your reasoning accordingly. @canihazJD has offered up a great list of the questions you should be asking yourself. Naturally when you’re starting, you’re likely not going to have the correct reasoning- but everyone has an opinion, so state yours and try to make it as convincing as possible. Try to stay away from lax explanations like “irrelevant” “it makes no sense” etc.

this process is a pain in the ass but if done correctly, you will reap the rewards.

• Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds Alum Member Sage
    957 karma

There's a ton of good advice on this post. Bumping!