Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about Practice Tests

in General 316 karma

Hi everyone!
Thank you for how helpful you've all been during this process! So I finished the CC and now I have 45 days till the LSAT. I've gotten my score up a few points (from mid 150s diagnostic to high 150s low 160s now) and I know I won't be able to "maximize" my score since I've only committed a few months, but my goal score is low-mid 160s and my top choices are mid tier state schools that prioritize public interest work. So I was wondering, is 25 practice tests in 45ish days too many? I'd be committing roughly 4-5 hours to each test between the actual exam and review. I've been committing around 8 hours a day to preparation so I feel like it should be reasonable, but I am also very new to intense study and prep testing. I'd appreciate any advice you all could throw my way, thank you so much!
- Matt

Comments

• giulia.pinesgiulia.pines Member
    466 karma

Since that's one practically every 2 days, I'd say it's a bit too much. It might serve you better to have one day for a PT, one day for review, and then one day for drilling on whatever question types are most difficult for you. You should also have at least one day of brain rest per week!

• 316 karma

@"giulia.pines" thank you for replying! I appreciate your input, I feel like that many PT's could be too much. I was just wondering if you could explain why a rest day is necessary? I'm not doubting it, just hoping to have that aspect explained to me a little more since I have seen that said a lot. I don't feel burnt out or discouraged when I study and if I do start getting frustrated I'll either stop for the day or take a few hours off. Is it like training a muscle? I get why someone shouldn't workout the same muscle every week, but I don't see why someone can't workout at least one muscle group every day of the week. Thanks again!
    - Matt

• tahurrrrrtahurrrrr Member
    1106 karma

Here's a suggestion

Day 1: PT and blind review
    Day 2: review. Try to explain the answer yourself, then watch the video if necessary
    Day 3-5: focus solely on one of RC, LG, or LR. But be sure to give all of them their own day. At least 1 timed section but untimed 8s fine otherwise. Maybe use the PTs you've already taken for this
    Day 6: focus soley on the section you think you can improve the most
    Day 7: highly suggested rest but you can either do light work or if you're really determined loop back to Day 1.

I also highly recommend that you only drill and don't actually PT within 1 week of the actual test

This schedule would give you 5-6 fully timed PTs plus if you want to break up a couple of fresh PTs for your drilling.

• lobell79lobell79 Alum Member
    146 karma

@tahurrrrr said:
    Here's a suggestion

Day 1: PT and blind review
    Day 2: review. Try to explain the answer yourself, then watch the video if necessary
    Day 3-5: focus solely on one of RC, LG, or LR. But be sure to give all of them their own day. At least 1 timed section but untimed _****8s ****_fine otherwise. Maybe use the PTs you've already taken for this
    Day 6: focus soley on the section you think you can improve the most
    Day 7: highly suggested rest but you can either do light work or if you're really determined loop back to Day 1.

I also highly recommend that you only drill and don't actually PT within 1 week of the actual test

This schedule would give you 5-6 fully timed PTs plus if you want to break up a couple of fresh PTs for your drilling.

What does '8s' mean? Thanks!

• tahurrrrrtahurrrrr Member
    1106 karma

*is

sorry i was typing on my phone

• 316 karma

@tahurrrrr thank you! I’m crafting up a schedule that’s super similar to that. I really enjoy seeing my a couple scores a week even if there’s no improvement (irrational but it keeps me motivated) so I like the idea of breaking up PT’s into components and then calculating the scores even though it’s not a full timed test

466 karma

A rest day is definitely not necessary - just saying what works for me ;)

@mattwhitworth56 said:
    @"giulia.pines" thank you for replying! I appreciate your input, I feel like that many PT's could be too much. I was just wondering if you could explain why a rest day is necessary? I'm not doubting it, just hoping to have that aspect explained to me a little more since I have seen that said a lot. I don't feel burnt out or discouraged when I study and if I do start getting frustrated I'll either stop for the day or take a few hours off. Is it like training a muscle? I get why someone shouldn't workout the same muscle every week, but I don't see why someone can't workout at least one muscle group every day of the week. Thanks again!
    - Matt

• MoneybyMondayMoneybyMonday Member
    24 karma

I actually disagree with some of the comments. I've been doing a PT everyday, sometimes 2, and I find that it is helping my confidence with test taking and improved focus. So on test day completing the test will feel routine. So far I've done this for a week and am taking exam on Oct 10, my score has improved by about 10 points between first PT and today. Good luck!

• 316 karma

@abargbarg thats awesome congrats! Do you do intense blind review with each one? Or do you find it's the repetition and timing that helps most

• @mattwhitworth56 Im planning on taking November and about to start PT'ing as well. If your looking for a study partner to review PT's with and to keep each other accountable, send me a message - I'm interested!

466 karma

It's definitely different for everyone! I'm old (36) so I find I just don't have the brain power LOL.

@abargbarg said:
    I actually disagree with some of the comments. I've been doing a PT everyday, sometimes 2, and I find that it is helping my confidence with test taking and improved focus. So on test day completing the test will feel routine. So far I've done this for a week and am taking exam on Oct 10, my score has improved by about 10 points between first PT and today. Good luck!