Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Just Graduated Law School!

Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
edited June 2022 in General 27809 karma

Hey everyone! I joined 7Sage in 2016 and it's been a long, long journey, but I just graduated law school! Having been through the whole thing at this point, I thought I might have some insights people would be interested in. So, I'm going to open up a Zoom session and answer anything y'all want to ask. So bring your questions or just come and lurk. We can talk LSAT, law school, life, whatever y'all want.

Thanks to everyone who came out! Really great questions, and I hope people were able to take away something valuable. And if anyone with pressing questions wasn't able to make it, I'd be happy to answer questions in the comments, so ask away!

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

Congrats Josh! Will be in my SA so likely won't make it, but where are you heading off to?

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

@canihazJD said:
    Congrats Josh! Will be in my SA so likely won't make it, but where are you heading off to?

Long story! Short version is: I'll be back and forth between Chicago and Mississippi for the next year setting up an education non-profit. I'm going to try to skip the part where I absolutely hate practicing law for a year before having a nervous breakdown and rage quitting, lol. If that doesn't work, I'll try out something in the criminal sphere. I got straight A's in all of my criminal law class (and I took a ton of them) and was very mediocre at everything else, so for whatever reason, that seems to be my talent. I'm not going straight in because I don't want to be a prosecutor and I don't want to negotiate plea bargains. That's about 98% of criminal legal work, so what can you do? I'd rather find something else than be complicit in something so profoundly unjust. I fear that whatever work I ended up doing in that area would lend a veneer of legitimacy I don't want to be a part of providing. I may look at something in policy, but I haven't decided. I think the conversation around criminal justice and policing reform is often a bit off the mark, so if I thought I could help adjust the conversation on that, I might be interested.

• C_S_D 01C_S_D 01 Member
    252 karma

Congratulations to you and thanks for thinking of the rest of us!

• Lime Green DotLime Green Dot Member
    1384 karma

Thanks for setting this up @"Cant Get Right" & big congrats!

Given your initial plans and overall experience, would you say law school was worth it for you, at least at this point in time? Not intending to spoil the anticipation, but a little sneak peek would be much appreciated :)

27809 karma

Thanks everyone!

Tough question @"Lime Green Dot" . I’ll definitely plan on elaborating more in person, but for now I’ll say that that’s a question I struggle with. Whatever the answer is, and I’m still working it out, it’s complicated. The law isn’t about what I thought it was about, and it isn’t much concerned with the sorts of things I’d hoped to use it for. That said, I do feel like a much more capable citizen and like I have the tools to navigate political systems more capably. Things don’t work the way I imagined—and the truth is disheartening—but I do know how it works. I don’t think I can do a whole lot as a lawyer, but as a well-informed citizen with credentials, that may be a different story. We’ll find out.

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma

Man, they let just about anyone graduate from T14s these days, huh?

Congratulations and well done, Josh. Asking some good questions, too.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:

@canihazJD said:

Long story! Short version is: I'll be back and forth between Chicago and Mississippi for the next year setting up an education non-profit. I'm going to try to skip the part where I absolutely hate practicing law for a year before having a nervous breakdown and rage quitting, lol. If that doesn't work, I'll try out something in the criminal sphere. I got straight A's in all of my criminal law class (and I took a ton of them) and was very mediocre at everything else, so for whatever reason, that seems to be my talent. I'm not going straight in because I don't want to be a prosecutor and I don't want to negotiate plea bargains. That's about 98% of criminal legal work, so what can you do? I'd rather find something else than be complicit in something so profoundly unjust. I fear that whatever work I ended up doing in that area would lend a veneer of legitimacy I don't want to be a part of providing. I may look at something in policy, but I haven't decided. I think the conversation around criminal justice and policing reform is often a bit off the mark, so if I thought I could help adjust the conversation on that, I might be interested.

That's badass. Policing reform is why I left law enforcement for law school, basically for the same reasons. Definitely keep us updated!

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

Congrats Josh! Hope all is well with you.

• Jaylin SmallJaylin Small Member
    56 karma

Congratulations Josh! This is so inspiring.

• Yan WangYan Wang Member
    285 karma

Congratulations! Thank you so much for being willing to share your experience. I will be there.

27809 karma

Thanks everyone! Hope to see y'all this evening!

27809 karma

Link is posted. See folks in a bit!

• WinningHereWinningHere Member
    417 karma

Can’t join meeting!