Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Motivation Tips

baparacha-1baparacha-1 Member
in General 113 karma

So I haven't seen this question yet on the discussion forum (at least not a recent post) and I think it would be helpful for me and other people. Do people have tips on staying motivated on the LSAT journey?

I know from personal experience that I can get distracted a lot during prep, or just not have the motivation seeing that there is so much riding on this one score that the daunting pressure of it pushes me away from studying. There is also burn out because if I do study I put my all int it, dedicating all my extra time to it, and as a fulltime student (who is also a commuter) with a part-time job that does take its toll. That all being said I do know when to take time out for myself and am constant "treating myself" throughout the process, which I find very helpful for treating burn out.

However, to add on the the main question does anyone have tips for balancing keeping time for yourself, and also being motivated for LSAT studying?

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2239 karma

I find that keeping a strict schedule helps me a lot. So, for instance, if you work from 9 to 5, tell yourself that you will, without fail, study from 6 to 8. Barring a medical emergency, you're not missing that study time. This really compartmentalizes study time. I don't sit around dreading studying or trying to make myself start, I just decide on a time that I will study. This helps me because even on the days I don't feel like studying, I know that if I can just grind it out for a couple of hours, I can go watch a show, hangout with friends, workout, etc.

• WashingtonDCgalWashingtonDCgal Live Member
    56 karma

Honestly following Skinner's Operant conditioning is the only way I've found I stay dedicated. For example, if I voluntarily dedicate 3 hours to studying (with breaks) before my part time job I buy myself a pack of beer or cool new stationary that day. If I don't get any studying done, then I go home after work and get ready for bed early. Oddly enough my subconscious mind fights for that study time harder.
    I've found that the study schedule 7Sage curates for you is not realistic for me; it made me feel always behind which decreased my motivation. So, find little ways instead that will make you feel like you're getting somewhere and not that this is never-ending.